The first time I discovered chocolate covered oreos I knew it was bad news. I had finally just kicked this deliciously nutritious habit I had in high school where I would dip them in the peanut butter jar just like people dunk them in milk. I think I saw it in the Parent Trap with Lindsey Lohan pre- Cover of Ok Magazine phase. But the combo was AMAZING.
In college my aunt started sending me care packages of chocolate covered oreos from this awesome chocolate shop in Wheaton, Il called Grahams Chocolates. I went to the University of Illinois in Champaign where we were about ten thousand miles away from any real seriously good chocolate shop so these things were like gold. I was living in the sorority house then and these cookies disappeared in seconds! Thank you again aunt Sandy :)
I got the idea to make my own the other day when I was wandering down the cookie aisle at the grocery store and passed by a bag of mini oreos.
Instant chocolate covered oreo craving.
Or did I just want to dunk them in peanut butter?
Or… both. Genius. What about stuffing mini oreos with peanut butter frosting.. and then dipping them in creamy milk chocolate??
These turned out awesome. I made peanut butter stuffed ones and plain. I love that they’re mini because they’re so easy to just pop in your mouth and adorable for Christmas parties, cookie plates, and gifts.
AND.. they are honestly the easiest things in the world to make. Three ingredients. Got 10 minutes?
Mini Chocolate Covered Oreos and Peanut Butter Stuffed Variation
12 ounces milk chocolate
1 tbs shortening
1 bag Mini Oreos
Peanut butter frosting:
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbs powdered sugar
1. Cover a baking sheet in wax paper.
2. Melt chocolate with shortening using a double boiler (again, if you don’t have one, just use a heat safe bowl and place it over a pot of boiling water- be sure not to touch the bottom of the bowl to the water)
3. Dunk oreos into melted chocolate. Using a fork, carefully lift individual oreos from bowl and scrape excess chocolate from bottom. Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.
Peanut Butter Frosting Variation:
1. Whip peanut butter and powdered sugar in medium bowl until smooth.
2. Gently remove the top of one mini oreo.
3. Take another mini oreo and spread a thin layer of peanut butter frosting on top. Place removed top of other oreo on top of frosting.
4. Dunk in chocolate.
5. Repeat with the rest of the oreos and follow steps 3 & 4 above to finish.