Ok….so these brownies are ugly.
Like really ugly.
But I don’t judge you when you’re having a bad hair day?
Or when you only have two finger nails still painted pink because you were too lazy to scrub off the rest..
Or when you wore that awful sparkly headband last weekend.
Ok okkkkkk so maybe that was me last week. But whatever, stop staring…. ! We all have those days. Some more than others….
So these are not the Heidi Klum of brownies, but what they lack in looks they make up for in irresistibly rich, gooey, chocolatey, flavor.
These are soooo good right out of the oven. They have this intensely rich cakey chocolate chip brownie bottom sprinkled in even more chocolate chips, buttery pecans, and warm gooey marshmallows. I just took a fork to the pan after I took these out. Are you wondering why there’s only two brownies in my pictures today?? Umm… that’s why. I scraped the top off of half the pan.. oops.
I also love that these are dairy-free. I’m going to try and work more vegan recipes into my blog. I don’t tolerate dairy very well so I usually play this game where I eat mainly dairy-free for my meals and save myself for splurges on all my baked goods (Yes.. that’s how big of a sweet tooth I have!). But the more practice I’ve had cooking dairy-free the more I’ve found out that I don’t have to cook these recipes just because they don’t have dairy, but because they’re actually really good.
So these lovely little rocky road bars aren’t just for those of us who can’t have a lot of dairy, they’re for anyone craving a gooey chocolate marshmallow treat. And who doesn’t’??
Also, when looking around for dairy-free chocolate chips, keep your eyes out for “Chocolate Dream” baking chips. These are my favorite! I usually just eat them straight out of the bag. They’re from the same company that makes Soy Dream and Rice Dream (realllyyy yummy dairy-free ice-cream).
[typography font="Cantarell" size="18" size_format="px"]Rocky Road Bars (dairy-free)[/typography]
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons natural (nonalkalized) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl and mix with a whisk or fork.
- In a small bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour liquid over flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just smooth (if you over-mix these will be tough).
- Add half the chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth evenly. Sprinkle marshmallows over top and gently poke them into batter, leaving tips exposed. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and walnuts over marshmallows.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until it no longer jiggles when you nudge the sides of the pan. Cool on a rack. Lift edges of foil to transfer brownies to a cutting board.Cut into 16 squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunch Melt-in-your-mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich