Monday morning, 7:30 am:
Pull into Coffee Shop parking lot.
Groggy, rub eyes. Smear mascara. Quickly wipe on lipstick to distract from raccoon eyes. Open door to coffee shop.
Me: “Um…. so I’d like a…..”
Coffee Shop Boy interrupts.
Coffee Shop Boy (interruption allowed, kind of cute) : “Small decaf soy latte, extra hot.” Hands me drink, already made without me ordering.
Me: “… I love you…” but actually comes out as caveman grunt. Don’t know how to speak before coffee.
Hand cute Coffee Shop Boy perfect change ($1.87). Already know price before walking in. And yes…. I know I can save like a zillion dollars if I just make my own. But coffee makers don’t come with cute Coffee Shop Boys.
Does this sound familiar? (Actually I hope its not, I hope you’re instead wondering why the beeper on your coffee maker is SO LOUD. Its 6 am. And you’re enjoying a fresh pot of much more financially responsible homemade coffee).
This was my morning just about every day while I was working my first job after graduation. I would pull into the parking lot and tear apart my front seats and floor mats looking for spare change. I think I paid in quarters and dimes half the time… sorry Starbucks :)
But its all because I love my coffee. I love my coffee so much that even after I gave up caffeine I still have to have my coffee. That’s why I’m also in love with these muffins. They’re packed with a huge punch of coffee flavor; they taste like a smooth chocolate mocha from the rich chocolate chips and espresso powder. These are also packed with whole grains and low-fat so they’re a great way to start your day!
But be careful! I wouldn’t chow down on these after dinner. These aren’t called Coffee Muffins for nothin. Smarty pants over here made these at night and then decided it would be a good idea to try one right before bed. Horrible idea. Have you heard of the Lint Lizard? Because eat one of these at 9 pm and that’s about all that’s going to be on TV at 2 am.
[typography font="Delius" size="19" size_format="px"]Chocolate Chip Coffee Morning Muffins[/typography]
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour (or substitute equal proportion of all-purpose if you don’t have any)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until done. Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack.