Skinny Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake with Almond Streusel

OMY-goodness. We have had amazing weather in Chicago this week! And I don’t just mean amazing for Chicago… aka as long as its not snowing/blizzarding/sleeting/etc….am I forgetting anything..??

It was almost 80 yesterday.

I came home and immediately jumped into my bathing suit and laid out in the gorgeous sunshine and read a book. And its a very good thing that my backyard is in the woods because I may have blinded a few people with the sun’s reflection off my very white body.

In the winter its great because I can usually get away with putting a little bit too much bronzer on my face to pretend like at least some of my mom’s Italian genes tried to squeeze into my DNA. But without the winter turtlenecks…its a bit more obvious…

But then again that means that I actually woke up early enough to put on bronzer.

So with all of this summery weather (Not even spring! We totally skipped ahead to summer and I really hope we stay here) I was in the mood for one of my favorite warm weather treats…. Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake! When I was a kid we’d get together with all of our neighborhood friends on the 4th of July for a brunch party and one of my mom’s friends would always bring the best blueberry coffee cake. I’d scrape off all of the streusel first, then mash all of the blueberries and cake together and eat it with my hands….I said ‘when I was a kid’… Alright?? Its not gross. It was totally amazing.

So anyways, when I think of summer I think of blueberry coffee cake. But now that I’m older and smashing blueberry cake in between my fingers and shoving it into my mouth is no longer socially acceptable, I also have to manage to keep that little bikini covering up my derriere*….thus.. I decided to give my blueberry coffee cake a bit of a makeover.

This version has half the calories and a quarter of the fat… and allll of the flavor and buttery streusel that I can’t live without. Plus its got a little extra flair with added almond paste and almond milk. Think moist blueberry almond cake with a a hint of lemon, sprinkled in buttery almond streusel. Ready for summer now?? Ooo yes!

Enjoy!

Comments

1. YUMMMMMMM.

I don’t care if it’s skinny, it looks DELICIOUS!

2. Wow – if something that good looking can be lite then it just proves your aewesomeness :D

Latest: Strawberry Hot Fudge Choc Cobbler

3. Soooo jealous of your weather here in Seattle! Nothing but cold and rain here. Maybe I should bake up this dessert to make me feel better ;) Lovely blog.

4. I second Jen- doesn’t matter if it’s skinny, I’m in! This looks divine, the almond and lemon especially sound so delicious with the blueberry! What a lovely recipe!

hahah the skinny part is just an extra bonus, thanks Annie!! Sooo happy blueberry season is on its way :)

5. Looks so lovely my dear! Gotta love those skinny recipes!

6. This looks fab! I really like the addition of the almond paste. I need to find some soon.

I had to do a litte hunting around for it too, they usually have it at most grocery stores, especially around holidays!

7. Oh, how yummy! I love the streusel….mmmmmm; my favorite part! We’ve hit 80º+ in Indy the past two days…and high 70′s for many days to come…unbelievable! And I hear ya on the pasty skin :)

Oo ya, its supposed to be high 70s for the next few days here too! I’m trying to soak up as much sun as I can :)

8. Yay! The weather is gorgeous, delicious recipes are overtaking the web – the warm season is here! This cake is a perfect start to it all, Kristina! Love the new site look, btw :)

Thanks Anna! Its a work in progress*, haha its going to probably look different every day until I figure out what I like best!

9. this looks delicious! i just love blueberry and lemon together!

10. I love this recipe..so delicious looking too! Glad you are enjoying this amazing weather..give us all positive energy!:) Have a great weekend!

Thanks Sandra! Lots of positive energy over here :) The sun’s been shining all weekend, crossing my fingers it holds out the rest of the week!

11. Wow, that looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us! :D

12. Great combo and I love the nutty topping!

13. mmm…I love that you can see the different layers in this! looks fabulous!

14. That cake looks amazing, I love any cake with fruit in it (well, actually any cake!) especially if it’s lower in calories and fat!

15. This cake looks and sounds perfect. Can’t go wrong with almond streusel!

16. Sounds and looks delicious!!!

17. I like blueberry coffee cake as well as muffins. However, your version here with the almond milk and paste is something I need to try. It sounds like it would have such wonderful flavor! Also, there is no shortage of blueberries in there. Well done!

Thanks! The almond milk and paste added a whole new depth to it, the blueberry coffee cake I usually make is plain without the added almonds, but I think I almost prefer this one, its perfect with a cup of coffee!

18. Anytime I see “Skinny” with a recipe, it catches my eye. Then I see this beautiful piece of goodness and I just became enamored. I must make these.

19. I love streusel cakes! Almond and blueberry are just perfect together.

20. Lynna H. says:

Oh goodness. i love lemons. i love blueberries. i love coffee cake. i`m also sure i love them all in one. ♥ can`t want to try this out! OH, and SKINNY too? quadrupel deal here!

21. That is some insane Chicago weather–this cake looks fabulous! Lemon-blueberry is my favorite coffee cake combination.

22. I love you. skinny coffee streusel cake? Yummmmm!

23. This cake looks so good. And, even better, it’s skinny! I love the addition of almond paste and almond milk. I’ll have to try this recipe.

24. This is a perfect springtime coffee cake and I can hardly wait to try it. Blueberries and lemon are perfect companions!

25. This is a great cake recipe. Blueberry and lemon are perfect together. I am fair as well and it’s always scary the first few times I go in the sun.

26. Looks so yummy! Think it will be perfect for a brunch I’m going to in a couple weeks.

Take care
    Connie

27. Yummy, I want to make this!

28. This Mother’s Day, I’m about to go for the traditional blueberry muffins, glad I found your list! Thanks to you Kristina! Happy Mother’s Day to all awesome moms out there!

29. Thanks for the cheesecake comments on Lisa’s blog. I just check out youra nd it lookes great, this recipe in particular. Really impressed! x

30. I just made an adapted version of this recipe and posted about it. This is such a great cake Kristina! The addition of the almond milk was genius! So so good! Thanks for the great recipe!

Just saw it! I’m so excited you tried this! And love your adaption :) Def trying that almond crumble next time!

31. I have 4 gallons of blueberries in my freezer! Do you have the nutrition information for this? Maybe, I missed it somewhere. Thanks…this is my first visit to your blog, and I have already pinned several recipes. I’ll be back!

Hi Betty! You are too sweet! So happy you’ve been having fun looking through my recipes :)

Here’s the nutrition facts for my blueberry coffee cake – Per Serving (1/12 of cake); Calories: 195, Fat: 7 grams, Protein: 4 grams

And you didn’t miss the nutrition facts, that was one of my older posts that I still haven’t gotten a chance to plug the nutrition facts into! If theres any other recipes you’re curious about don’t hesitate to ask! I’m more than happy to calculate them for you :)