OMY-goodness. We have had amazing weather in Chicago this week! And I don’t just mean amazing for Chicago… aka as long as its not snowing/blizzarding/sleeting/etc….am I forgetting anything..??
It was almost 80 yesterday.
I came home and immediately jumped into my bathing suit and laid out in the gorgeous sunshine and read a book. And its a very good thing that my backyard is in the woods because I may have blinded a few people with the sun’s reflection off my very white body.
In the winter its great because I can usually get away with putting a little bit too much bronzer on my face to pretend like at least some of my mom’s Italian genes tried to squeeze into my DNA. But without the winter turtlenecks…its a bit more obvious…
But then again that means that I actually woke up early enough to put on bronzer.
So with all of this summery weather (Not even spring! We totally skipped ahead to summer and I really hope we stay here) I was in the mood for one of my favorite warm weather treats…. Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake! When I was a kid we’d get together with all of our neighborhood friends on the 4th of July for a brunch party and one of my mom’s friends would always bring the best blueberry coffee cake. I’d scrape off all of the streusel first, then mash all of the blueberries and cake together and eat it with my hands….I said ‘when I was a kid’… Alright?? Its not gross. It was totally amazing.
So anyways, when I think of summer I think of blueberry coffee cake. But now that I’m older and smashing blueberry cake in between my fingers and shoving it into my mouth is no longer socially acceptable, I also have to manage to keep that little bikini covering up my derriere*….thus.. I decided to give my blueberry coffee cake a bit of a makeover.
This version has half the calories and a quarter of the fat… and allll of the flavor and buttery streusel that I can’t live without. Plus its got a little extra flair with added almond paste and almond milk. Think moist blueberry almond cake with a a hint of lemon, sprinkled in buttery almond streusel. Ready for summer now?? Ooo yes!
Skinny Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake
Yields 12 generous servings
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup almond paste
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar, almond paste, and 2 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and lemon juice, beating well. Add flour mixture and almond milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries and rind. Spoon batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, combine 1/4 cup sugar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.