Glazed Cinnamon Sugar-Stuffed Scones

Happy Earth Day everyone!!

Flip on some Animal Planet! Recycle your Sunday papers! And…don’t flush your toilet every time you go…unless.. you know,  you uh…then please do

Today is all about celebrating our beautiful planet and remembering to love her back as much as she loves us!

I was googling around the other day and found this awesome little awareness project. Earthday.org/2012 is asking everyone to pledge an “Act of Green” for today – whether it be helping drive over your neighborhood recycling to the recycling center, trading paper plates for reusable, or filling up your own water bottle instead of buying plastic, choose something and help make a difference!

And more importantly, try making a difference every day :) Just because you buy someone a card on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you have to wait to say “I love you” until the next year! Same with Earth Day, try making small changes every day!

Ok so are you ready for this super smooth transition…..

We’re going from loving Mother Earth to loving our Momma’s that put us on this planet.

You know, the one’s that first taught (or scolded…) us to turn all the lights off because you go play outside, and that overflowing the bathtub is a horrible waste of water (I don’t know why, but for some reason as a kid I thought the absolute coolest thing ever would be to flood the bathroom. Sorry mom….)

So anyways, I thought I’d get a head start on Mother’s Day brunch recipes! Mainly because I love brunch and jump on any excuse to make pancakes and cinnamon rolls on a tuesday night….

and of course because I love you too mom….duhhh

My poor mom’s not getting much of a Mother’s Day this year because that same day she’s flying out with me to New York City to visit the culinary school I’m dying  to go to! Umm… Cinnabon brunch at Gate 14?  Too bad that would be AWESOME. I love cinnabon. Even though it totally doesn’t love me back. Have any of you tried Burger King’s new mini cini’s from Cinnabon? I’ve been super curious, I may have to give in and make a fast food run one of these days.

Alright so ramble ramble… yes I know I’m rambling…I’ll wrap it up and give you guys what you really want… this delicious Glazed Cinnamon Sugar-Stuffed Scone  recipe! It’s mom approved :) And bikini (or maybe more like tankini…just eat one!) approved.

Nutrition Information (per scone); Calories: 195, Fat: 6

Happy Earth Day!!
Recipe adapted/inspired/combined from King Arthur Flour and Cooking Light Magazine

Comments

1. Happy Earth Day! We just made scones last week in class and they were so-so, kinda plain. But these – these look 100x better!

2. What an amazing idea! Looks and sounds amazing!

3. Cinnamon Stuffed Scones … What will they think of next … These look amazing! Happy Earth Day!!!

4. Happy Earth Day! I am going to go all day without driving :)

Cinnamon scones are my favorite. I always just add in the chips but I love your layered version. They look to die for!

Hahaha aw yay! Happy (be-lated) Earth day too! I love that you didn’t use your car! I’ve seen so many recipes that include cinnamon chips but I swear I have NEVER seen them at a store before?? Where do you get yours?

5. Divine!!!!

As a recent scone convert, I’m totally in for making these.

I hope you get into that school!

6. These look soooo good!

7. Ah! I have to make these, they look perfect! Saving this recipe for laterrr….My poor mama hasn’t gotten to spend mother’s day with me in years :( It’s so great that you guys are visiting NY (where I am!)!! I hope you have so much fun–and let me know if you need anything for while you’re here in the NYC :P

Ooo yes! Restaurant recs!! Ive only been to NYC once… and that was like 8 years ago… so I have absolutely no idea where to go! I’m going to go stalk you on your blog and ask you this same question :)

8. These look utterly gorgeous :D
    Great minds definitely think alike since only yesterday I posted scones too – want to swap one for one ;)

9. These look divine and I absolutely love the filling. It’s funny but today was a scone day around here, too. It’s pouring rain in New York (we needed it) so we stayed in and I baked chocolate chip scones. :)

10. These are gorgeous. I mean absolutely stunning. And good for you for being earth day aware. Love it.

Thanks Kim! I’ve been trying to get my lighting better for my pics, so happy you liked them! :)

11. Looks gorgeous! One of my fav things ever is cinnamon sugar, in any form!

Hahah ugh me too! When I was a kid I wouldn’t eat toast and jelly… I’d eat toast smeared in butter.. topped in a thick layer of cinnamon sugar :) Breakfast of champions…

12. These look divine!! They look like easy cinnamon rolls or something. I love this, can’t wait to try these!

Yum! That’s exactly what they taste like! Thats I liked these so much :) I loveeee cinnamon rolls!

13. Looks so good! Loving the whole wheat too.

14. :o

This combines all of my favorite things! Cinnamon and sugar! How did you know :) I’m going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

15. I love the rustic look that the whole wheat gives these. Also, the streak of cinnamon filling does make me want to try these. Scones always need something extra, I think and baking the flavor in the scones is a lot better than slathering it on top afterwards. This one is a keeper-yum!

Thanks Tina! I agree, I always end up slathering lots of jelly on my scones because it always seems like they need something extra, these have plenty of flavor too, they’re very decadent, more of a dessert than a quick breakfast!

16. Tankini-approved scones – I love it1 That cinnamon layer looks divine. That’s my favorite “sweets” flavor… aside from chocolate, of course. :)

Hahah agreed. I feel bad for all of the other sugar in the world bc they will never be able to top chocolate :)

17. oh my god that layer of cinnamon sugar stuffed in the scones looks AMAZING! love it!

18. Huh, I never knew Earth Day existed. We have Earth Hour here in Australia though. Those scones look sooo good :)

Hahah I’ve never heard of Earth hour either? Sounds very similar! And thanks for the comments :) These were good!

19. Is it weird that I’ve never tried stuffed scones? That cinnamon layer sounds to die for.

Haha no. not at all. I didn’t know they existed either until this week… and now I wish I had never found out, these are dangerous..

20. This looks great! You’re blog is great! :)

21. Love scones!

22. These scones look scrumptious! What a perfect breakfast idea! Congrats on Top9, sweet Kristina! xoxo

23. Major congrats on your FoodBuzz Top 9, today!

24. What a great idea to add a middle layer of tasty goodness to the center of these scones. Nicely done! :)

25. Ohhhmygoodness I’m dying looking at these. They look SO good. That filling is incredible!

26. I don`t think i like scones all so much…however, i love cinnamon sugar. so these look super tasty!

Scones have never been my favorite either, but the cinnamon sugar and glaze on these makes them taste just like warm cinnamon rolls!

27. Kristina, these are beautiful! I love cinnamon-y baked goods, since they usually perfume the house as they bake. And your opening paragraph about Earth Day made me laugh.

Hahah I was so serious about that line! And same, thats what I love the most about cinnamon baked goods, the whole kitchen smelled amazing the whole afternoon :)

28. Cinnamon and spice and everything nice!!I love these and congrats on the Top 9!Way to go :)

29. Congrats on making it to the Top 9 too! :D

30. These look so good! I’m all for anything cinnamon or anything scone… So this is perfect. Thanks for the great recipe.

31. What a great alternative to a cinnamon bun – these look deliciously sweet and cinnamon-filled. Thanks for sharing!

32. Is there a way to make these without eggs?

Hi Julia! Yes, you can try adding either 2 tbs. unsweetened applesauce OR combine 1 tbs. ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of water, mix well and let the mixture sit for 1 to 2 minutes. If you don’t have the ingredients for either of those let me know, I have a couple other tricks you can try too :)

1. [...] milk and powdered sugar together. Drizzle over warm scones. Notes Adapted from Whipped’s “Glazed Cinnamon Sugar-Stuffed Scones” [...]