Fish Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa

Hi guys!

So I’m rested and recovered from my dinner party extravaganza last weekend and ready to get started on the next fiesta! Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner which means its time to indulge in some yummy Mexican food! I love love love Mexican food….Mexican food doesn’t particularly love me back…but I”ll take our rocky relationship.

Ok, but first, I have a serious question for you…

This needs to be cleared up before we get cooking..

How do you cut a mango?

Is it possible??

Does anyone know this??

Because google doesn’t.

Google showed me youtube videos of strangers cutting mangos that look nothing like the mangoes sitting in my fruit bowl.

My mangoes have horrible pits and these hairy “I-dont-know-whats” that pull away when I try to cut. I actually gave up cutting at one point and just kind of ripped away the flesh with my fingers, caveman style.

I swear I know how to cook.

But it was all worth it because these little fish tacos totally kick butt! They’re super easy, super quick, and super delicious (ok, so not so super quick for those of us who were born mango handicapped, but if you typically know how to use a fork to eat your meals I’m sure you will be a-ok).

You can pull this meal together in under 30 minutes, start to finish. The tilapia takes just about 2 minutes per side in the grill pan and the salsa takes chopping just 4 different ingredients.

Plus, these are a totally healthy alternative to traditional fish tacos. They pack all the punch and attitude you crave in a taco without the added calories! No frying, extra oil, or heavy fat! Just simple, delicious, clean food that will keep your tummies happy..and more importantly, leave room for those margaritas and chips and salsa!

So if you’re wondering why I’m posting fish tacos instead of some kind of ooey gooey sugary concoction its because Whipped is getting a facelift!

I’m so excited to let you all know I am doing an entire website re-design (I already have the preliminary drafts worked up and its looking really fun!) and I’m going to expand the scope of my blog to include all kinds of healthy recipes. Before you get mad at me I promise I’m still going to include lots of yummy light dessert recipes! But I want to include other recipes to round out living your best healthy life. There’s always time for treats (which I LOVE posting!) but I also want to show the delicious recipes you can have to balance out your diet and show how you really can have a delicious diet with moderation.

(See! I told you they won’t go away! Cookies from tonight’s dinner :) I swear no one can beat the recipe on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips bag, I challenge you!)

Let me know what you all think! I love hearing your input!

Enjoy and have a GREAT weekend!

Nutrition Information (per 2 tacos); Calories: 298, Fat: 12 grams, Protein 23 grams
Sorry I just couldn’t resist!

Comments

1. How do you EVER resist that face?

Also, I’m not sure I can resist these tacos!!!

2. OMG perfect for cinco de mayo! Love fish tacos!

3. i saw someone else post this same recipe today. both are nice but i like the look of yours.

4. Kristina you were reading my mind!! There is this one restaurant where I live that my husband and I go to practically every week for their avocado fish tacos. These ones look insanely good and probably so much less expensive!! I love the mango addition! I can not WAIT to try these! P.S.- you’re puppy is adorable! Never be sorry for sharing pictures of that sweetie!

haha ok same here!! There’s this place downtown Chicago that makes the BEST fish tacos and guac, I swear it is going to be the death of me, I can never resist! Let me know if you give these a try! I love splurging on the restaurant version but this one’s a really good healthy alternative, I make these all the time :)

5. Beautiful! :) I love fish tacos, and those avocado slices… yum!

6. Oh, just look at your sweet pup!!!!

These fish tacos look fabulous…especially with your marvelous salsa…YUM!

Haha thanks Liz! Doesn’t she look all sweet and innocent in the pic?? Don’t be fooled.. :) haha

7. I am looking forward to seeing your changes!

These tacos look amazing. I love having tilapia in my tacos. A great alternative to other meats and low calorie too. Gotta love that!

Yay me too! I cannot wait to get the changes up! They’re.. so… close… I wish a bit more tech savvy! Yikes..

8. Fish taco are always something I have enjoyed, but I do prefer that the fish is not deep fried. Your pan fry method along with those seasonings would suit me fine. Your picture does look enticing. Have a great day!

9. I was touched by the look on this pup’s sweet face. So adorable. Your fish taco sounds delicious and made drool. Yum! =)

10. These look gorgeous!! Good thing Mexican food is not monogamous, because we’re kind of thing ourselves. But no worries, I can share. ;)

haha no, totally fine, I’ll just have the affair… My stomach can’t handle a full time relationship with Mexican food..

11. After trying many different methods for cutting mangoes, I have recently discovered what I think is THE BEST method for getting the most out of them. First, peel the skin with a pairing knife, trying to keep as much flesh in tact as possible (it helps to gently pull knife toward you as you peel). The mango will be slippery, but just be patient and work slowly. Next, cut the tiny nub off the bottom of the mango, the side that does not have the stem. Holding the mango upright on the now-flat bottom, take a chef’s knife and place it parallel to the pit (the long side of the mango should be against the knife). You should start by putting it at the top and sort of letting the knife find the natural spot where the pit is and where you can get a good chunk of flesh. Gently glide your knife along the pit–you should really allow the knife to do the work by not forcing it. Repeat this process along the other long side and each of the short sides. You can “clean up” around the pit by just sort of gliding your knife around. You will fee where there are chunks of flesh to be had. Then just dice the mango and try not to eat the entire thing before you put it in your recipe :) I hope this helps!!

Thanks Tara!!! I’m making those blueberry shortcakes with Mango compote again tomorrow night for another dinner party so I have to slice mangoes…AGAIN! Totally using your tips!! You’re the best! Let you know how it goes :)

12. Does the 30 minute time estimate include the caveman ripping technique? Sorry, couldn’t resist. I just have this visual image of you fighting with the mango :)

haha no. caveman technique takes all day.

and I’m making these blueberry shortcakes with mango compote again tomorrow night so I’ve got another fight ahead of me… haha with me luckkk!

13. My favorite food of all time! :D These look amazing!

14. PS – I never knew how to cut a mango either until a few months ago. This website (really, there’s a mango.org?? haha) is pretty easy to follow along and you can see mine at the link to my Surfside Pizza below.

How to cut a mango – http://www.mango.org/how-cut-mango

Surfside pizza – http://pureimajennation.blogspot.com/2012/04/surfside-pizza.html

Hope this helps! Happy Weekend!

LOVE your pizza Jenn!! And love that video! Where was that when I googling?? Totally trying that shrimp mango combo, yum!

15. i’m not a huge fish lover, but these look absolutely delicious!!
    and seriously, every time i scroll up my husband freaks out over that picture of the dog. too cute!
    xo TJ

hahaha don’t let that cute little face fool you! That’s how she gets away with so much at home :)

16. These tacos look like a great seafood twist on Mexican beans and meat :D
    And I cannot wait to see your remodelling! I dream of owning my own site as opposed to hosted one day though I have no idea how to go about it :P
    Your dog is too cute – like I am serious, no one could ever resist those eyes :)

If you want some help shoot me an e-mail! I’d love to help :) And thanks for the puppy compliments, she’s going to get all conceded after this post! haha

17. Love your salsa recipe! Mango and avocado are two favorites of mine! My mango of choice: bagged, frozen, diced :)

~Rebecca

18. Oh my gosh those look amazing. Love the salsa on them. I have no clue how to cut one. If you figure it out make a video and charge people for it. You’d make a mint. I am so excited for your redesign. So fun. Can’t wait to see it. Cute pup.

19. Love the mango salsa here–looks great! I agree mangoes are so hard to cut. I can’t wait to see your new site!

20. Fish tacos!! One of the best foods ever…I have made an Indian version of them but I think I need more Mexican food in my life…anyways about the mangoes. They are impossible. The end. No but seriously, tell me if you find a solution ;)

21. these look super delicious Kristina! definitely need to try them, especially with that mango avocado salsa!

22. Yayy!! Exciting stuff!!! :D

23. Gratuitous puppy shot! Those are the best! Your fish tacos look delish! I’m all about the mangoes. The trees here are fat with them! I can’t wait for them to ripen. As for cutting your mango, I find its easier to cut the lengthwise on either side of the pit so you have three piece: two sides and the middle with the pit. You can cut the flesh from the two sides and then ‘suck de seed’ as we do in Cayman :)

24. Your tacos look delicious! I’ve never heard of Cinco de Mayo before this year…but I made some Pinata cookies for the occasion! Good luck with the redesign too! :-)

25. hahahaha your dog is adorable!! and those fish tacos look pretty good, I am excited about your new blog design

26. Back to let you know those lemon bars were my first recipe with Meyer lemons :) So I’m no expert! But I’ve seen posts with savory pastas using Meyer lemons, so I think you can use them whenever there is lemon in a recipe…just scale back the sugar as they are sweeter. Can’t wait to see your new look :)

Thanks Liz! Ok that makes total sense then, I subbed in some meyer lemons with a scone recipe and they were super sweet, almost kind of a weird sweet if you know what I mean? I”ll leave out some of the sugar next time!

27. Excited for the changes! And as a healthy recipe blogger myself, I’m looking forward to seeing more of yours for sure! :) :)

Thanks Justine! Same to you :) That veggie pizza you made the other day looked SO. GOOD. yumm!

28. Aww… he’s adorable!

I always land up cutting mangoes in different ways. It actually always depends on how do I have to use them. I’m loving the salsa recipe you’ve shared today. Avocados and mangoes compliment each other perfectly

Same, I love avocados and mangoes together, its such a smooth and buttery flavor :) Perfect with some spicy tacos!