So I’m rested and recovered from my dinner party extravaganza last weekend and ready to get started on the next fiesta! Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner which means its time to indulge in some yummy Mexican food! I love love love Mexican food….Mexican food doesn’t particularly love me back…but I”ll take our rocky relationship.
Ok, but first, I have a serious question for you…
This needs to be cleared up before we get cooking..
How do you cut a mango?
Is it possible??
Does anyone know this??
Because google doesn’t.
Google showed me youtube videos of strangers cutting mangos that look nothing like the mangoes sitting in my fruit bowl.
My mangoes have horrible pits and these hairy “I-dont-know-whats” that pull away when I try to cut. I actually gave up cutting at one point and just kind of ripped away the flesh with my fingers, caveman style.
I swear I know how to cook.
But it was all worth it because these little fish tacos totally kick butt! They’re super easy, super quick, and super delicious (ok, so not so super quick for those of us who were born mango handicapped, but if you typically know how to use a fork to eat your meals I’m sure you will be a-ok).
You can pull this meal together in under 30 minutes, start to finish. The tilapia takes just about 2 minutes per side in the grill pan and the salsa takes chopping just 4 different ingredients.
Plus, these are a totally healthy alternative to traditional fish tacos. They pack all the punch and attitude you crave in a taco without the added calories! No frying, extra oil, or heavy fat! Just simple, delicious, clean food that will keep your tummies happy..and more importantly, leave room for those margaritas and chips and salsa!
So if you’re wondering why I’m posting fish tacos instead of some kind of ooey gooey sugary concoction its because Whipped is getting a facelift!
I’m so excited to let you all know I am doing an entire website re-design (I already have the preliminary drafts worked up and its looking really fun!) and I’m going to expand the scope of my blog to include all kinds of healthy recipes. Before you get mad at me I promise I’m still going to include lots of yummy light dessert recipes! But I want to include other recipes to round out living your best healthy life. There’s always time for treats (which I LOVE posting!) but I also want to show the delicious recipes you can have to balance out your diet and show how you really can have a delicious diet with moderation.
(See! I told you they won’t go away! Cookies from tonight’s dinner :) I swear no one can beat the recipe on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips bag, I challenge you!)
Let me know what you all think! I love hearing your input!
Enjoy and have a GREAT weekend!
Fish Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 tacos)
For the Fish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
8 (6-inch) Corn Tortillas (I used whole wheat instead)
- Combine cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Rub over fish.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine avocado, mango, red onion, and tomatoes in a medium bowl. Drizzle lime juice and olive oil over mixture and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Assemble the Tacos
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions. Break fish into pieces; divide evenly among tortillas. Divide salsa evenly among tacos. Fold tortillas in half; serve immediately.