Strawberry Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream and Sweet Strawberry Sauce

Happy Monday everyone!

I am in a super extra happy mood today for 3 fabulous reasons!

1. I started drinking caffeine again. This is maybe the only reason I am happy at 6:00 am.

2. I leave for New York City in 6 days! 6 DAYS! I can almost taste the bagels…hear Daniel Radcliffe prancing around Broadway…

And the main reason….

3. I am guest posting over on Carol’s fabulous blog, Ditch the Wheat! If you haven’t checked her out already… DO IT. She is the queen of low carb and gluten-free. Her site is absolutely overflowing in nutritious and delicious tips and recipes!

So when she asked me to come up with a recipe for her this week I got really excited to experiment. I don’t usually count carbs (umm… my dinner last night consisted of chips, sweet potato fries and a hamburger bun…sorry Carol!) and I just started to get into gluten-free baking so this was my chance to play around with recipes outside my comfort zone.

So why not take it even further?

What about dairy-free?

Vegan?

Um…check, check,….and check.

I hope you have your Dr. Scholls in those high heels ladies because we’ve got some work to do.

Or totally not.

This is the EASIEST dessert. EVER.

EVER.

The mousse = 4 ingredients in the food processor.

The secret ingredient to this allergen-free madness is….Tofu!

Don’t be scared! It works soooo absolutely perfect in this recipe. I swear it offers all of the rich creaminess that cream and butter would – without all of the calories and dairy. The other beautiful thing about tofu is that it loves to take on whatever flavors surround it. It just eats up all of the delicious strawberry flavor and combines with the lemon juice to create a smooth and fluffy strawberry mousse.

I topped everything off with a fresh strawberry sauce and fluffy coconut whipped cream.

Enjoy!! And check out the rest of my post over at Ditch the Wheat!

Nutrition (Per mousse, topped with strawberry sauce and whipped cream); Calories:190, Fat; 8 grams

Comments

1. This looks AMAZING!!! And it’s guilt-free, right? ;)

2. This would be an excellent after school snack, sneaking the tofu in there with strawberries and such… my daughter would love this – I’m buying tofu today!

Aw let me know how you and your daughter like it! Its such a good way to sneak in some soy protein, I gave it to my younger brother and he had no clue!

3. Love that this contains tofu! Brilliant!

4. Oh, boy, this looks fabulous!!! And WAY healthier than it looks :)

5. I love low carb recipes and tofu … heading over to the site now :-)

6. I just love berry season! This does look delicious and it is hard to believe that there is tofu in there. This does look like an enjoyable delicious way to get healthy-well done!

I had everyone in my house try it and they had no clue there was tofu! They were completely surprised when I told them :) Good way to sneak in some soy protein!

7. Not only gorgeous looking treat but full of berry flavor that I love! It’s a keeper, Kristina!

Thanks Anna! I LOVE that its berry season! I can’t wait for blueberries to come :)

8. This dessert looks great! I’ve just recently discovered tofu in desserts (making tofu based chocolate mousse) and it’s surprising how incredibly well it goes and the texture it gives!

Same here! It really does work so well, I’ve been wanting to try out a chocolate mousse too, I’ll have to check out your recipe :)

9. What beautiful pictures! They look delicious!

10. This sounds like such a tasty dessert. When made wth fresh and local berries, I can only imagine the great flavor! Have fun in my neck of the woods this weeken, here’s hoping it stops raining!

O I know! I have my fingers crossed :) Its still pouring in Chicago so I’m worried the weather’s going to keep following me! But either way I’m in NYC :) Cannot wait!!

11. Kristina! This looks beautiful! I LOVE strawberry mousse and so glad to see your healthier version. I can’t believe you whipped this up in a blender! I have no excuse not to try this! Great photos, too! : )

haha thanks Anne! I swear it is SO quick! It takes more time to clean the food processor…. :)

12. I’ve seen a lot more use of silken tofu in dessert lately, I think I’ll have to try it out – these look great. I bet a rhubarb compote would go well with these as a topping.

For sure! Believe it or not I”ve never cooked rhubarb before… I see it everywhere but for some reason it freaks me out a bit to use? Haha don’t ask… absolutely no reason why, total irrational fear..want to make some for me??

13. wow, this looks great Kristina! so creative, especially with that coconut whipped cream! love it!

14. Kristina–this is gorgeous! What fabulous color and the tofu is a brilliant idea. I hope you have a wonderful vacation. What will you be seeing in NYC?

EVERYTHING! Haha :) I’ve got a whole list going… half of them restaurants :) Any suggestions?? I’m a big museum nerd so I’m definitely finding time to stop by a couple! And I”m making my mom go to Good Morning America with me at like 5 am …she’s not so excited about that one haha, but I can’t wait!

15. This looks incredible. And to have tofu in there is even better!

16. what a great, and healthy dessert! your blog is more than perfect!
    xo TJ

17. This is a girly beautifully presented delicious and healthy dessert – what more could you want :)

18. Yum! I need to make these and thankfully, in just a few weeks I am miving into my mother-in-laws home where I will have a plethera of cooking equipment that I lfet behind in Canada…therefore this goal is feesible.

19. These sounds heavenly!! And I think I could figure out a way to make them a legit meal for every part of my day!!

20. LOVE! So pretty and so delicious. I’ve been making mint chocolate mousse using tofu as a base, but love the switch to strawberries with summer around the corner.
    Your new site design is lovely and girly :) NYC…here you come! I was just there for a weekend with my girlfriends and we had an amazing dinner at Hakkasan – I HIGHLY recommend it!!!
    ~Rebecca

Ooo thanks Rebecca! I’m googling Hakkasan! I’ve been searching around like crazy for some fun restaurants to try! Did you guys see any shows? Or hear anything fun to see at night??

• Kristina, Call Hakkasan for reservations immediately!!! We ended up with a 10:15PM reservation, which was perfect, as crazy as that sounds. You could probably do cocktails there for the evening if you can’t get dinner reservations (call about that to double check). The atmosphere was so NYC trendy!
        During the day we actually really took it easy- 5 moms who craved zero schedules and lots of girl-talk :)We focused on window shopping around Soho (DASH, of course). We had lunch at Boom (they had a fabulous orange crystal chandelier!), got a smoothie at Jamba Juice (OMGood!), browsed through Dean and Delucca…yum.
        Our hotel was around the corner from Times Square so that was perfect as well.
        Have fun! Can’t wait to hear all about it!
        ~Rebecca

21. Oh K! This looks absolutely divine! Love the colors and the coconut whipped cream sounds like the perfect topping.

22. This looks so good! I have only tried tofu once and the recipe turned out to be a disaster. This seems like the perfect way to reintroduce myself!

23. These look beautiful. Coffee makes me happy. I have some twice a day. It is a necessity for me. I am going to NYC this weekend; we might be there at the same time. Have a great trip, there is so much to do that is fabulous.

24. Yay! Congrats on the guest post. And also: YAYYYY NYC! Oh and of course: these look so pretty and strawberry-wonderful! I’ve always been suspicious of tofu in desserts, but you’re making me reconsider…

25. Is there anyway to make this without tofu? we can’t do dairy or soy. This looks delish!

26. You are hilarious. This post had me cracking up, just the way you write. I have never counted calories. Not really. The one time I tried I gave up partway through ONE dish, so… yeah I would need to learn more discipline.
    I’m happy you are back with caffeine! It does make the world somewhat easier to face in the wee hours of the morning. ;)

27. This is stunning. I mean it, absolutely beautiful.

28. Ooh I always wanted to make coconut whipped cream. What a lovely site you got here!

29. Choc Chip Uru gave me the versatile blogger award and now I’m passing it on to you. Check it out at http://foodstoriesblog.com/2012/05/10/sandwich-bites-with-sweet-mustard-sauce-blog-love-part-2/

30. Who knew tofu could be transformed into such a scrumptious-sounding (and so pretty!) sweet strawberry dessert? Love the photos too! :)

31. What a delicious recipe!Never used tofu in my smoothies and i’m now inspired to try it asap!!Thanks so much for sharing :)

32. I wish I would have seen this BEFORE I ate the last strawberries in our fridge! Although the shortcake we made was pretty good too ;)

33. coconut and strawberry is the perfect match! adding tofu sounds a bit strange for me but I think it really works

34. This mousse looks super gorgeous and so perfectly done!

35. Love this.

36. these look SO cute and delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

37. Suzanne says:

Could you use something instead of Tofu?

Hi Suzanne! For this particular recipe tofu really works best, would you like the substitute to still be vegan?

1. [...] Vegan Strawberry Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream & Sweet Strawberry Sauce [...]