Happy Monday everyone!
I am in a super extra happy mood today for 3 fabulous reasons!
1. I started drinking caffeine again. This is maybe the only reason I am happy at 6:00 am.
2. I leave for New York City in 6 days! 6 DAYS! I can almost taste the bagels…hear Daniel Radcliffe prancing around Broadway…
And the main reason….
3. I am guest posting over on Carol’s fabulous blog, Ditch the Wheat! If you haven’t checked her out already… DO IT. She is the queen of low carb and gluten-free. Her site is absolutely overflowing in nutritious and delicious tips and recipes!
So when she asked me to come up with a recipe for her this week I got really excited to experiment. I don’t usually count carbs (umm… my dinner last night consisted of chips, sweet potato fries and a hamburger bun…sorry Carol!) and I just started to get into gluten-free baking so this was my chance to play around with recipes outside my comfort zone.
So why not take it even further?
What about dairy-free?
Um…check, check,….and check.
I hope you have your Dr. Scholls in those high heels ladies because we’ve got some work to do.
Or totally not.
This is the EASIEST dessert. EVER.
The mousse = 4 ingredients in the food processor.
The secret ingredient to this allergen-free madness is….Tofu!
Don’t be scared! It works soooo absolutely perfect in this recipe. I swear it offers all of the rich creaminess that cream and butter would – without all of the calories and dairy. The other beautiful thing about tofu is that it loves to take on whatever flavors surround it. It just eats up all of the delicious strawberry flavor and combines with the lemon juice to create a smooth and fluffy strawberry mousse.
I topped everything off with a fresh strawberry sauce and fluffy coconut whipped cream.
Enjoy!! And check out the rest of my post over at Ditch the Wheat!
Strawberry Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream and Sweet Strawberry Sauce
Yields 8 servings
For the Mousse
- 1 14 oz. container Firm Tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 – 16 oz. container fresh strawberries, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 12 oz. frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk, chilled, NOT stirred (do not buy lite coconut milk, this must be full fat)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
To Make the Mousse
- Combine tofu, sugar, strawberries, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into individual cups and chill before serving.
To Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Combine strawberries and sugar in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Allow strawberries to boil and reduce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and strain through a colander. Allow strawberries to drip liquid, then gently push them with a rubber spatula into bottom of colander to release more syrup. Refrigerate until use.
- Chill bowl and whisk of a stand mixer in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (if they are not very cold the cream will not whip properly).
- Carefully skim the solidified cream off the chilled coconut milk and transfer to to the chilled bowl. Make sure you do not include any of the coconut water, even a drop will effect how your cream whips.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip 2-3 minutes until mixture begins to stiffen and turn into whipped cream.
- Chill whipped cream in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will continue to firm up the longer it sits in the refrigerator – give it a couple hours or even overnight for the firmest cream.