Tomato, Avocado, and Cucumber Crostini with Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette

Happy (Insert Holiday Here)!

It’s officially wedding season….bbq season…

baby shower season, memorial day…

4th of July…..grill outs….

Summer’s coming and all this gorgeous warm weather (Its going to be 90 degrees today in Chicago!) means finding every possible excuse to celebrate cold beer, blue skies, fresh food, and awesome friends!

It also means that Jenny from apartment 201 is probably going to ask you to bring an appetizer to tomorrow night’s dinner party.

And what about that phone call from Mom about this weekend’s memorial day bbq?…”Ok, so Grandma won’t eat fish. Grandpa wants Salmon…what do you mean you’re coming at 3?? I said 2! Bring an appetizer…See you at 2.’

You e-mail some girlfriends for a quick Friday night get- together….crap. I need an appetizer.

It’s not just outdoor party season ladies and gents, its appetizer season!

And I don’t know about you guys, but I want to be ready with the easiest, tastiest, make-ahead recipes I can get my hands on. The best part about random summer get togethers is that they’re…. random! No time to rummage through cookbooks and slave away in the kitchen – I just want something I can whip up in 20 minutes and forget about until I get to the party.

And that is why I give you… 15 Minute Avocado, Tomato, and Cucumber Crostini with Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette ! This dish doubles as an appetizer and a side dish! It is absolutely DELICIOUS as crostini, but leave out the toasted baguette and you’ve got yourself a super yummy side salad!

Dinner party tonight and day time bbq tomorrow? Make a double batch of this and bring it as an appetizer on Friday and use the leftovers as a side dish the next day!

The sherry-dijon vinaigrette is awesome all by itself, but when it mixes with the buttery avocado it emulsifies into this deliciously creamy dressing with just the right amount of zing from the sherry and the right amount of cool from the cucumbers. Yum, Yum… and YUM.

Got 15 minutes?

Just kidding….  Enjoy in one more minute!

I want to send two very big hugs and a huge THANK YOU to C.J. from Food Stories and Kayle from The Cooking Actress for nominating me for the  Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling! You too are amazing and I’m sure by now you both know how obsessed I am with both of your blogs, I’m truly flattered you guys thought of me! :)

So the rules of this award are that I need to share one random thing about myself…. I think by this point I have shared too many random things about myself (sorry guys!), but here goes another!

….I LOVE color coordinating my closet.. Like rainbow style. Sometimes it looks super organized and other times it looks like Rainbow Bright exploded all over my room.

And here are five AMAZINGLY talented bloggers I want to nominate for this same award (in no particular order!):

1. Anna from Crunchy Creamy Sweet

2. Nichole from Dulce Delicious

3. Kaleigh from Tastes Good to Me

4. Jen from The Scrumptious Pumpkin

5. Lynna from Hearts in My Oven

If you guys check out this link, (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/), you’ll find all the details!

xoxo!

Kristina

Comments

1. great idea Kristina! this looks so fresh and delicious, yum!

2. Yum! Next time I need an appetizer, I’ll have to make this. Thanks for sharing!

3. All these summery posts do have me excited, looking forward to all the outdoor fun that the season brings. You are spot on to be thinking of something cold, tasty and quick to eat for that is what the season calls for. Great blend of veggies here-yum!

Thanks Tina! I know, I’m loving all of the summery posts! The weather is GREAT today too at home, sunny and 90 :)

4. I LOVE APPETIZERS. i don`t know if it`s because they`re small portioned and cute or what…but i totally love eating them! This looks deliciously yummy and fresh–like the upcoming summer season.

and wow. i cannot believe that you nominated me. CAN`T HANDLE, KRISTINA!! THANK YOU THANK YOU <3 it`s my first nomination…^_^

So happy to nominate you for your first award!!! thats so exciting!! And you so deserve it Lynna :)

5. Very versatile dish! And thanks for the nomination babe!

6. I have no patience for slicing the bread for crostini. I would however, eat the salad by the spoonful.

7. These look AMAZING!

Arantha

8. I love that you color coordinate your closet. I don’t go that far but I do have my closet in sections … tops, bottoms, suits, etc. Fascinating learning about each other :-)

Haha I know, thats the best part :) I love hearing everyones random facts! Such a fun part of the award!

9. Look at you, with all your appetizer obligations! Ty for the shout out lovely :)

10. I love anything you can eat with one hand :) Also, I’m never quite sure of what to put in salad dressings and usually default to a splash of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, but the dijon looks good!

The dijon makes it so much creamier and gives it it a lot more depth :) Definitely recommend!

11. Next time I’m hosting a party, I’m asking you to bring the appetizer! This looks fabulous! Thank you so much for the award, sweetie! Xoxo

12. Great selection of veggies I say! Totally making this to serve my guests on saturday. :)

Let me know if you do!! Make sure you salt liberally to taste too :) I made it with less salt (bc I usually don’t like too much) but the rest of my family loved it with a bit more sprinkling on top!

13. What a delicious crostini – refreshing and yum :D

14. I like the idea of it over the bread….yum!!

15. Perfect for summer. Love this!

16. Lovely! You can never go wrong with avocado in my book! Looks delicious for spring or summer!

17. This appetizer/salad sounds perfect for any occasion. And it happens to have all of my favorite things: tomatoes, avocados, bread… Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Have a great holiday weekend too! One of my favorite veggie combos too :) I’m hooked on avocados!

18. Kristina, these look absolutely delicious. They’re the perfect little grab-and-go bites for summer festivities.

19. What a lovely crostini my dear! Perfect for the summer!

20. Wow that looks good!

21. Gorgeous, darling! A show stopper of an appetizer that’s super easy and delicious. Hell to the yeah :)

And congrats on the VERY well deserved award!!

22. Lovely crostini and so so perfect to whip up quickly for a party :)

23. This looks fantastic! I’m all about avocado. I best the creaminess of it with the tomato and the crunchy toast is unreal. Can’t wait to try it out!

Ooo yes :) It is definitely all about the creamy avocado with the crunchy toast! And it’ll be even better in a couple weeks when tomatoes are really in season!

24. I love this as a side dish! it looks delicious! And,thanks for the nomination Kristina! It is much appreciated :)

25. WOW these look incredible. I LOVE LOVE LOVE avocado, so I know I would love these. *Drool* Very creative recipe too :)

26. So nice to find your blog through Kim’s site. This crostini looks really easy to make and delicious. I’ll probably try this one this weekend!

Thanks Nami! So happy to meet you too! Let me know how you like them! I definitely like them best as crostini, but then again I can ever resist anything on some toasty bread.. :)

27. Oh wow. This looks so fresh and refreshing.
    Appetizer season indeed :) Too bad I haven’t made many appetizers, I’m kind of a cooking novice. But I think that even I can make this, thank you!

Haha you totally can! Just chop up the tomatoes and garlic and you’re halfway there :) I promise its super simple, let me know if you try!