Happy (Insert Holiday Here)!
It’s officially wedding season….bbq season…
baby shower season, memorial day…
4th of July…..grill outs….
Summer’s coming and all this gorgeous warm weather (Its going to be 90 degrees today in Chicago!) means finding every possible excuse to celebrate cold beer, blue skies, fresh food, and awesome friends!
It also means that Jenny from apartment 201 is probably going to ask you to bring an appetizer to tomorrow night’s dinner party.
And what about that phone call from Mom about this weekend’s memorial day bbq?…”Ok, so Grandma won’t eat fish. Grandpa wants Salmon…what do you mean you’re coming at 3?? I said 2! Bring an appetizer…See you at 2.’
You e-mail some girlfriends for a quick Friday night get- together….crap. I need an appetizer.
It’s not just outdoor party season ladies and gents, its appetizer season!
And I don’t know about you guys, but I want to be ready with the easiest, tastiest, make-ahead recipes I can get my hands on. The best part about random summer get togethers is that they’re…. random! No time to rummage through cookbooks and slave away in the kitchen – I just want something I can whip up in 20 minutes and forget about until I get to the party.
And that is why I give you… 15 Minute Avocado, Tomato, and Cucumber Crostini with Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette ! This dish doubles as an appetizer and a side dish! It is absolutely DELICIOUS as crostini, but leave out the toasted baguette and you’ve got yourself a super yummy side salad!
Dinner party tonight and day time bbq tomorrow? Make a double batch of this and bring it as an appetizer on Friday and use the leftovers as a side dish the next day!
The sherry-dijon vinaigrette is awesome all by itself, but when it mixes with the buttery avocado it emulsifies into this deliciously creamy dressing with just the right amount of zing from the sherry and the right amount of cool from the cucumbers. Yum, Yum… and YUM.
Got 15 minutes?
Just kidding…. Enjoy in one more minute!
I want to send two very big hugs and a huge THANK YOU to C.J. from Food Stories and Kayle from The Cooking Actress for nominating me for the Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling! You too are amazing and I’m sure by now you both know how obsessed I am with both of your blogs, I’m truly flattered you guys thought of me! :)
So the rules of this award are that I need to share one random thing about myself…. I think by this point I have shared too many random things about myself (sorry guys!), but here goes another!
….I LOVE color coordinating my closet.. Like rainbow style. Sometimes it looks super organized and other times it looks like Rainbow Bright exploded all over my room.
And here are five AMAZINGLY talented bloggers I want to nominate for this same award (in no particular order!):
1. Anna from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
2. Nichole from Dulce Delicious
3. Kaleigh from Tastes Good to Me
4. Jen from The Scrumptious Pumpkin
5. Lynna from Hearts in My Oven
If you guys check out this link, (http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/), you’ll find all the details!
Tomato, Avocado, and Cucumber Crostini with Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette
Yields 8-10 servings
For the Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons good quality Spanish sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the dressing – combine oils, mustard, and vinegar in a medium bowl and whisk until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper taste.
- Combine diced avocado, tomato, cucumber, and sliced red onion in a medium bowl. Pour dressing over vegetables and gently mix until evenly coated.
- Place baguette slices on a cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Toast in oven for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Spoon topping onto toasted bread and serve immediately (the avocado will turn brown if you let it sit out too long).