Portobello Pesto Sandwich with Roasted Summer Veggies

So today is National Start a Garden Day!

…Just kidding. Its not. Is there already a day for this??

I figured if pancakes and Nutella get their own day so should starting a garden! So on behalf of all of the other procrastinating gardeners out there, I am officially establishing June 4 as “National You Waited Too Long So You Should Really Start Your Garden Right Now… Day”.

Kind of like a birthday. Maybe I’ll even light a candle. And make a wish I don’t kill anything….

I’ve been wanting to start a garden for so long. Every summer I get really excited about breaking ground, I google like crazy searching for what to plant.. when to plant… how to plant… and then I don’t know what happens but all of the sudden its August and I’m still eating cucumbers and peppers from the grocery store. So I’m really going to do it this year. I’ve got all my equipment good to go and I”m running to the flower shop tomorrow to buy my plants. So fingers crossed for me everyone!

(White House Garden in the pic above)

I was even more inspired to start a garden this year after reading through Michelle Obama’s new book, American Grown. And nooo, I’m going to get all political on you :) Her book is all about the White House garden and her “Let’s Move” Campaign to inspire healthy eating and living in today’s youth (and with the rest of us!). It’s full of gorgeous stories of community gardens, slow food, and conscious eating. We all know that vine ripe tomatoes straight from the farmer’s market are fantastic; but how self-satisying is it to eat your own little ripe tomato you nurtured yourself? It helps you appreciate all the work and care that goes into biting into a fresh vegetable.

I’ll give you all play by plays on my little budding baby and please please if any of you know anything about gardening I would love your advice :) I am building a garden based on google.

But I’ll jump down from my soap box now :) Because I have an awesome roasted summer veggie sandwich with my all time favorite pesto recipe. This little sammie will make you crave vegetables. I swear.

Comments

1. I want to start a garden too! Buuut-that’s not likely to happen soon, lol. Although-if you move to Astoria and end up getting a house with a front yard/garden area (like mine) where the landlord is cool with you planting…you’ll be able to do it here too! I <3 Michelle Obama's whole "American grown" thing, too! She's a smart lady :)

2. i totally want to eat this burger right now – looks DELICIOUS Kristina!!

3. Good luck gardening! You are going to have so much fun.

4. This does look delicious! Portabello burgers do rate around here and that pesto is something that I know has several uses. Very creative using artichokes and walnuts-yum!
    Gardening can be fun and it has its ups and downs. Our grasshoppers have taken over my basil plant, but I still have lots of chives and veggies. Enjoy your planting and harvesting!

I’m really nervous about the bugs, I’m out in a pretty woodsy area so we have pests like crazy! I just bought my plants this afternoon though, so fingers crossed for me :)

5. When I read that first line I thought, “Really? Why haven’t I heard this yet?” and then I was thinking about who has started a garden today and why have I not started a garden today….And then I read the second line.

hahahaha! Ok well I officially bought the plants today… this is like the farthest I’ve ever gotten into gardening.. now I just need to get them into the ground :)

6. Love it my dear!! It looks so great. I would be gobbling this up before I could even blink twice. Sadly I think Patrick would be picking at it looking at me like “what is this?”….Perhaps a recipe for when he leaves town ;-)

YUM!

Haha so true, I’m at home right now and I served it up to one of my brothers and he took one look at it and was like ‘umm…where’s the meat….”. Sorry buddy.. we’re going vegan tonight..

But I swear that pesto is so hearty and same with the portobello, you won’t miss the meat at all!

7. Count me in on the National Gardening Day. I do have some veggies going but like you I am thinking where has the time gone, those carrots should be ready by now. Oops, forgot to plant those, LOL. This burger is fantastic all my favorite foods on a sandwich.

Hahah I’m right there with you :) I wanted to buy an eggplant plant today only the little tag read that they don’t harvest for another 2 1/2 months…I’ve finally gotten myself to buy the plants but now I’ve gotta come up with the patience!

8. I can’t grow anything. I kill it all. My wife, on the other hand, can throw a seed in the dirt and it sprouts!

LOVE this sandwich by the way! I love portobellos!

Haha well fingers crossed for me… Maybe I should have started out with something a bit more resilient, like dandelions. Or some other weed. haha

9. This looks absolutely delicious and healthy–lots of great Mediterranean flavors!

10. I wish I had gotten the memo earlier on National Start A Garden Day! lol I keep telling myself to get it planted but, I haven’t even gotten around to weeding and tilling *sigh* Soon!…maybe. If I do get it done though, I’m definitely going to plant the stuff for this sandwich! It already has me craving veggies. Yummy!

Haha you should!! We can suffer through gardening together :) And if you don’t run to the grocery store, I promise this sandwich will be your new favorite! I had the pesto again tonight… I’m obsessed..

11. I always forget how great these big ole portobellos are! This is my kind of sandwich!! VEGGIE!

haha same here! I hadn’t had a portobello sandwich in…forever, and now I can’t stop making them! They’re perfect with the pesto too! Had it again tonight :)

12. Good luck with your gardening … I tend to kill things so I just stopped trying :-(

13. Hm, I’ve never tried gardening before, but GOOD LUCK. & hey, google saves my laptops/computers whenever something is wrong, so i love google ♥ this burger looks healthy & yummy! –now that is something i do not often put together! Anddd, that is why this blog is awesome. :D

haha aw thanks Lynna! I think I’m going to experiment with a juiced up turkey burger next time, I’m on a total burger kick – plus I”ve been craving french fries, perfect excuse… :)

14. Good luck gardening my friend – hope your thumb is greener than mine ;)
    Gorgeous looking burger too!

15. I want to start a garden too – if only I could find the time! :) This is so my kind of burger – I’m loving all the delicious grilled veggies!

Haha I know! Thats why I’m only planting the most low maintenance veggies… no divas over here :) Fingers crossed this goes smoothly…!

16. LOVE portobello sandwiches!!

17. I believe you! The photo alone made me major crave veggies! Fantastic summer burger.

18. Did you find her cookbook worth it? Did it have some good, tasty recipes inside? I saw an interview with her and I was pretty impressed about it! Good luck with growing your own garden!

Its a really gorgeous book, lots of fun pictures! But only like 8 or 10 recipes? Definitely don’t buy it for the cookbook part of it, theres barely any recipes. But its a really great quick read about gardening and inspiring healthy eating. I’m really into her let’s move campaign so I liked reading a bit behind the scenes! And I think its like 20% off at barnes and noble?

19. I’ll be interested to hear about your gardening experience! I am in the process of talking myself into just planting some succulents and herbs for my patio! Ah, we’ll see what happens!

haha well we can do it together! I just built my raised bed this afternoon so I’ll start planting prolly Friday-ish? I’ll definitely show pictures and tell you all about it!

20. What a perfect summer sandwich:) I love the Artichoke Walnut Pesto. Great picture of the White House Garden.

21. Yum, this does have me craving veggies! I really like the artichoke pesto, I think I want to put that on everything. Seriously. Or maybe just straight into my mouth.

Hahha don’t worry. Because thats exactly what I’ve been doing all week. I constantly reek of garlic and I don’t even care :)

22. Congratulations on your foodbuzz top 9, today!

23. Nice sandwich and congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9, but it might help if you clued us into what’s in your garden. Advice for growing tomatoes might not apply to growing carrots, etc.

Don’t worry :) I’m planning on it! As soon as I get things planted I”ll show pictures and step by steps. I’m not planting seeds either, everything is going to be baby plants since I’m so late in the season

24. This is my definition of a perfect sandwich!

25. This looks absolutely delicious! Congratulations on Top 9! =]

26. Looks incredible. I love mushroom burgers. This totally makes me want one for breakfast! :) Have a great day!