Best Blueberry Whole Grain Muffins

So I was really going to title this post “The Cheater’s Guide To Building a Raised Vegetable Bed”.

Because I totally cheated.

I’m sorry Pioneer Woman.

I googled. I found your amazing directions. Step by step… fool proof directions. I even made a list of all the supplies I would need and took them to Home Depot with the full intention of loading up on DIY screws and wood.

And then while I was walking through the garden center I stumbled upon a display of “Raised Garden Kits” No tools Required. Sets up in Minutes. $24.99.

It was like the most tempting Informercial ever. Like when you’re starving, watching TV at 2 am and the Magic Bullet comes on whipping up chocolate milkshakes and strawberry smoothies.

Check her out! 10 minutes after I got it out of the box. All you have to do is slide the little wooden sides into the divots on the corner stakes, my kind of DIY.

So today’s task is to cut the weed protector to fit the bottom of the bed and then to fill it with all of my soil and compost.

That is A LOT of soil.

And then plant these little babies.

Only do you see one small problem?

Please scroll to the pic of my vegetable bed…. then scroll back to the number of plants in this picture. Do you see a problem here?

I have like 5 vegetable plants for 32 square feet of vegetable bed…..

I did not buy the ‘Build Your Own Veggie Bed Kit”. I bought the “Build Your Own Farm” kit.

Back to the store!

But first… back to kitchen to show you my new favorite healthy blueberry muffin recipe!

These little babies are Vegan and Whole Wheat and delicious! If I’m going to be working hard in my garden all summer I’m going to have to start my day off with a good breakfast! And a quick breakfast… because we all know how functional I am in the A.M….there are no eggs getting cooked in this house, or pancakes flipping. I want quick and I want easy.

I found this recipe in my brand new vegan cookbook, Sticky Fingers’ Sweets and I am absolutely obsessed! I’ve baked my way through a few different vegan baking books and none of them have anything on Doron Petersan’s recipes. I’ve made her chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies too and they have all been fantastic! And yes… they’re vegan… do I prefer a regular nestle tollhouse chocolate chip cookie?

I don’t even know anymore! These are pretty darn good.

These muffins are super moist, and the perfect lightness – not too heavy like a lot of whole wheat muffins are, but not so light that its like eating dessert for breakfast. With a just a hint of lemon and bursting with fresh blueberries, these are a super yummy on-the-go breakfast.

Here’s the recipe!

Comments

1. this is awesome! i loveeee blueberry muffins! i would love to try out this recipe! hopefully i’ll be able to find all of these ingredients!

These were so good! I just finished off the batch this morning :) You can usually find ener-g at any health food store, and I think more and more regular grocery stores are carrying Earth Balance, you can also order online, check out http://www.happycow.net/ or http://www.veganessentials.com/! I don’t bake vegan all the time but I like to have a stock of some essentials in my pantry in case of emergency blubbery muffin situations :)

2. This looks like a great, healthier alternative to traditional blueberry muffins! You don’t need a smaller vegetable bed… you need more vegetables! =)

3. These look amazing-I really need to try vegan cooking! And that veggie bed is awesome, I may have to look into that!!

4. That is too, too funny. I’ve been thinking about buying one of those kits myself, because I am just not crafty/handy enough to make my own raised beds.

Haha well I swear I am not the most handy person out there… I was really proud of myself when I used a screw driver, so I promise the raised bed kit is the way to go! It was really easy, you literally just slide the pre-cut wood into grooves and in like 10 minutes its all done :)

5. Oh I love blueberry muffins with topping on them. They look delicious. I don’t have room for a garden at my apartment; we have a few pots. I did convince my company though to start a community garden on site and we got the same raised beds. I really like how they turned out.

O I love that you started a community garden! And I’m glad to hear the raised beds worked out well, so far so good at my house… I’m turning mine into a ‘pseudo-community’ garden too since I accidentally made it HUGE. I’m letting the rest of my neighbors pick a few feet for their own plants, it should be really fun having some of the little kids help out

6. loved the post Kristina – good luck with your farm :) and those muffins look delicious!

7. SOOOOOO jealoussss of your veggie garden!

8. Kristina,
    Your muffins sound and look so good and healthy. I’ll have to try these soon.

Herbs do well in pots, too. I have all of my herbs in pots on my patio, because I live in the woods, and the plants would get eaten, soon as they were planted.

Hi Becky! I’ve done herbs in pots the past couple years and its worked out pretty well. I love having fresh basil, I can’t decide if I want to leave them in the pots this year or put them in with the vegetables, back to google!

9. Kristina, I’m totally loving the new blog design, it’s so incredibly pretty and loving all the colours!

I’m totally not into gardening of any kind. I really wish I was, my mum has a designated area at the bottom of her garden with tons of raised beds and tons of plants from veggies to fruits. In fact, it is now half of her garden with 2 sheds and greenhouses! I so wish I could garden and grow my own.

The muffins look amazing and did you say healthy? Yeah! Does it make them still ‘healthy’ if you eat 10 of them?! Probably not but it’d be so easy to get carried away. Oh and I’m totally with you on being starving in the night. Every.night.without.fail my partner switches on the GoodFood channel and we both sit there drooling and all of a sudden hungry! LOL.

Your mom’s garden sounds incredible! If I had enough time… and knew what I was doing (I have no clue!) I would LOVE to do that some day.

Haha and yes 10 muffins totally count as still healthy… as long as the three I polished off the other day still counts :) And I’m with you on the food channel, I fall asleep to the Cooking Chanel (that new Food Network channel) because for some reason my TV in my room doesn’t get basic cable but I get every other? My cable got all messed up at the beginning of the month!

10. I am so jealous of your garden boxes!! I want some for my house! And don’t even get me started on these muffins. They need to find their way to my breakfast table!

They’re SO easy, you should! And they sell little boxes for like $12.99, perfect for a baby garden, superrrrr easy!

11. These muffins would make every breakfast a happy one :D
    Delicious delicious delicious!
    And great work starting your garden!

CCU

12. These look so good, I think I’ll have to add them to my list of things to make soon!

I love your little garden, omg I wish we could do something like that at our apartment. I wanted to get long planters for the back porch here..and then I realized that with the pine trees directly outside my patio, I only get like 3-4 hrs of direct sunlight per day…in the summer…FML. Watch your parsley, mine didn’t die last year and now the dang plant is taller than me! (I had a garden at my mom’s place) O_O! Definitely get more maters, though. And do some vertical gardening with an arch too for crawly guys like cucumbers! I’m going to vicariously garden through you this summer…=O

Hahah omg please do! I seriously need all the help I can get :) And I bought cucumbers so good to know! And parsley! Only I already cracked my cucumber plant in the car on the ride home… the poor thing snapped so I’m really hoping its a fighter and somehow makes it…!

13. Hi Kristen, I can’t let my husband see this kit he built a raised bed at considerable expense last summer. I can’t believe that was only $24.99. It’s good to know anyway because I want him to build another one. Good luck to you, don’t forget to water them, LOL. Oh yeah I love the vegan muffin, looks delicious, I am going to have to make some.

Hahah o no, I’m sure the one your husband built is way nicer than mine! Definitely worth all the work :) Mine is great because it was super cheap and really easy but all the sides definitely don’t fit together perfectly… and its definitely not level!

14. I would have absolutely bought the kit too. It looks perfect! And with this I might actually have vegetables planted this season :) These muffins…exactly perfect. I love blueberry muffins in the morning.

Haha I can’t even tell you how excited I was when I saw that kit, I was already freaking out trying to figure out what bits go on a power tool.. and what bits are….so the kit was PERFECT :)

15. Wait…they have kits. Why didn’t anyone tell me. I must have one.

Lovely muffins Kristina. Blueberry is my fave.

Haha I know! Home Depot’s been holding out on us… I had no idea until I literally ran into the display. Best idea ever.

16. Yum, those muffins sound amazing! I’ve been obsessing over healthy breakfast foods lately.

I’m also secretly glad to hear that I’m not the only one who hasn’t planted my garden yet. Though my garden will be about 1/8th the size of yours since it has to fit on my itty bitty balcony! This weekend, I’ll be getting my hands dirty and wishing that they had kits for balconies too haha!

Hahah google it! They have to have one :) And my garden wasn’t supposed to be that big, I just completely read the box wrong and didn’t realize I bought a 32 sq. ft. vegetable bed… yikes!

17. Wow, this looks so good! Gorgeous & delicious!

18. I love Pioneer Woman!! But your way seems so practical as well! And I was laughing when I saw the number of plants…maybe it’s just a little bit of a problem ;)

Haha just a bit… :) Did you check out her instructions for a bed? Because they’re amazing, she took really great pics with thorough directions, if I wasn’t so lazy I would’ve tried them out!

19. We are on the same wavelength! I just posted a healthy muffin as well! These are a great alternative the the standard blueberry muffins, which can hold a lot of fat. They do look delicious.
    As far as your garden, we did the same thing but in no time the squash an zucchini took over the whole thing. Some of your veggie plants may explode and they will not be going straight up. Basil will grow up as well as out too. Better to have more space for them then not enough. Enjoy the evening!

Good to know! I heard that zucchini tend to take over so I didn’t buy any this year, I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible! Definitely growing lots of basil though, thats my absolute favorite, I can’t wait to make some fresh pesto.

20. These look so good.

21. I like this healthy take on the regular blueberry muffin! I would have totally bought that kit too! Consider this bookmarked.

haha thanks! Blueberry muffins have always been one of my favorites, especially with a sprinkle of crunchy sugar on top!I knew I had to try and make them over :)

22. Ha! You would always buy more veggies to put on your farm!

These are beautiful muffins! WAY better than the jiffy box stuff :) I love them with a little bit of cream cheese on top! Heavenly

Ooo yum! Cream cheese sounds awesome on top :) Haha and I’m planting the veggies today so I’ll know just how many more I need to buy by the end of the day… yikes!

23. Ha! I love that you cheated! That is totally something I would do. It looks like your garden is coming along nicely though! These muffins look great! I’ve been craving blueberry muffins for weeks and this certainly didn’t help. Looks like I’m going to have to give into my craving and go make some muffins!

Hahah do it! Sorry I’m not helping much… :) I forgot how much I liked muffins until I baked these… and now I need to not bake any more for a very long time! I think I ate half the batch by myself..

24. Mmmm … Looks so good :-)

25. Delicious muffins! Can’t wait to try then! I will have to experiment with the raised beds next year. Yours look great!

The raised beds were surprisingly easy! Especially when you buy the ready-to-make kits like I did :) And let me know how you like these muffins!! This was one of those recipes that I couldn’t believe was vegan, the texture was perfect!