Jazzed-up Tomato Bruschetta with Sweet Balsamic Reduction

love tomato bruschetta.

Maybe even more than chocolate.

Vine ripe tomatoes + fresh basil + lots and lots of garlic = heaven on a toasty cloud of bruschetta bliss.

Mm…Mmm…mmmm….

And it just so happens that I am a tomato bruschetta expert.

It’s a serious profession.

Pleased to meet you.

Tomato bruschetta has been one of my favorite foods for as long as I can remember. Living off a college kid’s budget, studying in Rome my junior year I think I ate tomato bruschetta almost every day. It didn’t even matter how much perfume I soaked my body in… I wreaked of garlic. Stinky. Yummy. Totally unattractive. Garlic.

And ever since Italy I’ve stubbornly believed that ‘real’ tomato bruschetta is only tomato, basil, garlic, and olive oil. Balsamic vinegar?? Psh. Real Italians don’t need that! Such an American thing to dress up and overcomplicate simple food.  Let the juicy fresh tomatoes shine.

But its kind of like one of those People Magazine specials that show all those pictures of movie stars without makeup on? They’re all still gorgeous. Annoying gorgeous. But a little gucci and a brazillian blow out never hurt anyone.

So please meet my Red Carpet ready – Tomato Bruschetta with Sweet Balsamic Reduction!

Balsamic looks good on these tomatoes!

Comments

1. I love bruschetta so much! That’s amazing you lived in Rome for a bit and got to eat it so much. I bet it was divine! I love how easy and tasty this looks! This bruschetta would be perfect for summer parties!

Aw thanks Annie! Rome was SO amazing, I’d kill to go back again, I”m saving up so hopefully soon :)

2. This looks amazing! I love bruschetta and I agree simple is better-jealous you got to spend time in Rome getting to eat it first hand!!

I swear everything just tasted better there! Even roadside M&Ms from the vendor… :) Its hard to beat really good bruschetta with fresh vine ripe tomatoes, its all about the tomatoes!

3. Haha you are too cute. That is so awesome you got to spend time in Rome. Lucky girl! I agree with you on bruschetta, I could eat it all day every day. While it may not be traditional to add the balsamic, I love the tang it gives it. Beautiful my dear!

Thanks darling! I LOVE balsamic… I drown my salads in it..my chicken…just about everything I cook, so it was only a matter of time because I gave in to my bruschetta :)

4. Oooh I love tomato bruschetta too!! I must admit, though, I like it best the original way-but I love that you’ve found a new spin on it! And I think my house alternates between smelling like garlic and chocolate. Like my heart. It’s a strange place :P

Hahaha omg join the club, I need that special rock or whatever it is that’s supposed to get the garlic stink off your hands? You know what I’m talking about? I swear I heard there was something like that. I need one for my shower.

5. Balsmic reductions make me swoon!

6. Forget restaurants, your bruschetta is the way to go – delicious :D

7. Your bruschetta look gorgeous! I only wish we got better tomatoes up in Alaska, because these are killer.

Thanks! And totally agree, its all about the tomatoes, if you can’t get your hand on plum tomatoes or any other of the medium sized tomatoes try a cherry tomato bruschetta, those are always the sweetest and work really well if it’s not tomato season

8. Your bruschetta looks really good Kristina! My family loves tomatoes and we always have them at home. Balsamic reduction on the tomatoes… yum. It’s a perfect easy and delicious appetizer!

Thanks Nami! Definitely easy, and delicious! I made this for my a dinner party a couple weeks ago and then again this weekend for my little brother’s grad party. Its great because i made the balsamic reduction the day before (just make sure you let it come to room temp. before serving) and then made the tomato mixture in the morning, no fuss!

9. I don’t know about better than chocolate but your bruschetta looks pretty fine. The reduction certainly does up the ante. Great recipe!

10. Oh my gosh Kristina, this is lovely. My hubby is a huge bruschetta fan. I must try this.

Aw good! Let me know how he likes it! I like my bruschetta super garlicky… I scaled it back a bit for my post (just 2 cloves), but if he’s a garlic guy I’d put in 3 cloves, thats what I like best :)

11. I think perhaps the addition of balsamic to bruschetta might be a regional thing, because I seem to recall some places (Verona, maybe?) served it with balsamic and others (Rome) did not. But yes, yes, YES to the garlic!!! Also, you’re such a lucky duck for having spent time living in Rome.

Yes, I totally agree, definitely had some balsamic bruschetta (and really good bruschetta)! But where I stayed it was mainly just EVOO, sounds like a regional thing :) Jealous you got to go to Verona! Thats one place I didn’t have time to visit, same with Venice! Guess I’ll just have to go back some day… :)

12. Obsessed with bruschetta. Yum!

13. Sweet balsamic reductions are where.it.is.at!!! I use it on everything and my mother in law happens to have a WHOLE BOTTLE of it prepared for easy everyday use! You did read me right ;)

O yum! I’m so jealous, that’d be so much balsamic vinegar! I used a whole cup and that only yields like 1/4 cup reduction, your mother in law knows whats up!

14. Often times I have had bruschetta that does not fit my tastes because too much oil is used on the bread. The reason I like bruschetta is not for the olive oil but for the goodies on top of the bread. The balsamic reduction really is the tastiest way to go-delicious post!

I agree, I don’t like when when the bread is so soggy its difficult to pick up from all the olive oil, the reduction is so thick though, so you don’t have to worry about that problem :)

15. beautiful bruschetta! perfect appetizer for summer!

16. I love bruschetta! I can;t wait until my tomatoes are ready to be picked…I know what I will be making! ;)

17. Tomato Bruschettas are probably my favourite go to meal! And like you I am huge garlic fan! Will have to try with a balsamic reduction the next time I make some!

18. I absolutely loveeee bruschetta too. When I was little we had friends who owned an Italian market, so I’d go there and basically eat bruschetta by the spoonful! I usually add a tiny splash of balsamic to mine, and sometimes a bit of jalapeno for a little spice.

aw that sounds like so much fun! And I’ve never added jalapeño, i’ll be stealing that idea for next time :)

19. i actually first tried bruschetta this year and LOVED IT. So thank you for the this recipe. And it looks so healthy at the same time! Plus, I loveee tomatoes too! :D

20. The sweet balsamic reduction sounds incredible and your pictures are just amazing! :)

21. I adore bruschetta and I make it when I come off night shift; twice a week. I skin the tomatos and drizzle the oil on the bread before toasting; I like a nice charred look to the bread (usually ciabatta) chop the skinned toms and salt and pepper on them. Spoonthem over the toast and add fresh chopped basil. I may add a balsamic glaze and or small pieces of fresh mozzarella.

I do think you photograph make the toast look insipid and I hate the skins or the hard bit fronm the stem, could do better 5 out of 10