Southwest Veggie Salad

So I’ve been staring at my computer screen for the past 20 minutes trying to come up with something super witty and clever to say to you all…

But the men’s US Olympic Swim trials are on.. and o-my-goodness I need to date a swimmer.

There are more 6-packs in that pool than bud lights in a frat house.

!!!

And do you know what the only thing is that might make this even better…?? Snacking on my Southwest Veggie Salad with some tortilla chips!

It’s like eating buffalo wings and watching the Super Bowl…popcorn and a movie… red wine and chocolate….speedos and salsa

My family and friends have been making this veggie salad for as long as I can remember. It’s pretty much the only reason I still attend graduation parties…birthdays….Christmas… just kidding!! But seriously, Mom…the little’s brother’s birthday is coming up…

It’s one of my all-time favorites and will definitely be in attendance at next week’s 4th of July celebration! I’ve played around with the original recipe, boosting the nutrition profile a bit and freshened it up with some basil and oooo yessss, it is SO good! I like to eat it with tortilla chips but its just as good eaten as a side dish salad.

It’s a fantastic combo of red pepper, olives, avocado, black beans, green pepper, and basil; perfectly dressed in garlic, cider vinegar and lemon… did I forget anything??

I promise this one will be a hit!

Comments

1. You crack me up! Also thanks for the reminder that Olympic trials are starting, my favorite time of the year! p.s. this salad looks awesome!

hahah thanks! I just happened to catch the end last night, got lucky :) Can’t wait for the Olympics to start! Summer games are my favorite!

2. I love dishes like this… so simple, yet fulfilling and tasty and totally snack-worthy (or, let’s be honest, dinner-worthy)!

Hahah thaks Natasha! Agreed, love simple and tasty! And with the beans and avocado it could definitely stand as a quick meal :)

3. I can’t be torn away from men’s diving during the Olympics. Just sayin’.

Holy balls I am officially starving after reading that recipe. MUST HAVE IT NOW.

HAHAHA I love everything about that comment. EVERYTHING.

I think they’re on again tonight?? Need to find out!

4. mmm that looks great! we’re down in phoenix right now visiting the hubby’s family, so it’s really the perfect time to try this! And I’m ashamed to say we’ve not been watching the summer olympics… that needs to change!

Haha o no! You’re ok, don’t worry :) The games haven’t officially started, I don’t think until July? Those were just the trials, enjoy Phoenix!! I’ve never been but my dad goes every year and LOVES visiting!

5. This is so my kind of recipe. I can’t get enough of avocado and fresh corn in summer salads. Delicious! :)

Me too! I keep putting avocado in everything….. I’m trying to stop but its just so good right now!

6. When I was in high school and a lifeguard I thought that the only real men in the world were the ones that swam. There’s something about that body build (especially the guys that do the butterfly; holy cow).

I’m loving your salad too. I could definitely eat a bowlful of that while enjoying some eye candy!

Hahah definitely the butterfly ! :) I was in swim team as a kid too, only I don’t think I was attracting too many of boys with my sexy swim cap and one piece…. :)

7. Oh yes, those six packs would definitely be distracting me from such things as writing. Gorgeous men for sure (shhh, don’t tell my hubs)! This is an awesome salsa. I’ve made something very similar and it is so delicious!! Great recipe!

Haha secrets safe! And thanks Maggie :) ! I love the combo of veggies and dressing with this salad, theres a bunch of different variations and I love them all!

8. This is so fresh and healthy but definitely I can see why it is a favourite :D
    Love it!

9. That looks so pretty! I love how fresh and healthy it is too! Great recipe!

Thanks Annie! I love the colors too :) I think it looks so nice at parties!

10. Speedos and salsa… that sounds like a VERY risky theme party! ;)

11. LOL. That`s why swimming is the only sport in the Olympics, aside from gymnastic, that I ever watch. And dang it, why must you always tempt me with such good food?! Good AND healthy too? I`ve started to like avocados…so this is seriously making me hungry.

Haha same, those two are my favorites to watch! And just wait…. a couple more avocados and you’re going to be obsessed! I’ve been literally throwing them into everything lately :)

12. You are 100% right about the six packs but swimmers eat. Eat a lot. You would always have to share your food. Think about that before you start dating. :)

hahah! Ok, so true…. re-thinking that decision…maybe I’ll look for a jockey instead..

13. This veggie salad looks delightful, and I love anything you can eat with tortilla chips. Mmmm, 6 packs. Happy snacking!

Me too! Tortilla chips are my weakness…and I always have to reach way into the bottom of the bag for the saltiest chips :)

14. Oh, that made me laugh. A good friend and her husband were former college swimmers, and the muscles! Unbelieveable. This dip looks absolutely delish–will keep it in mind for upcoming festivities!

I know! One of my friends swam too, they are tough athletes! I did swim team in elementary school…. not quite the same thing? :)

15. haha so good to know I’m not the only one watching…more like gawking at the tv. My hub just rolls his eyes ;) I could eat this salad by the ton! So good.

Haha well just distract him with a big bowl of dip and you can gawk away all you want…. :) Swear it works every time.

16. looks scrumptious :)

17. With two kids watching a game is like a game. I like your writing. This southwest veggie salad is my kind of one. I should try this one.

18. Your site gets cuter every day. And I love that you’re drooling over the swimmers lol–I totally always preferred swimmers, soccer players, and runners to more bulky sporty men like football :P This southwest veggie salad looks so great! Healthy and super flavorful!

19. Speedos and Salsa… I’m totally down with that! The salsa looks great, too :) (must stop reading food blogs at lunchtime…)

20. You are cracking me up over here…..speedos & salsa…..sounds like fun party :)

Your salad looks delicious, my husband would love this and he’s not salad guy :)

21. This looks AH-mazing!!

22. I love salads like this in the summer…my black bean and corn salad is different enough that I must try yours! It looks DELISH, my friend!!!

Thanks Liz! Let me know if you do :) This is one of my favorites during the summer! Looking forwarding to snacking on it again on the 4th!

23. sounds delicious Kristina!

24. This salad looks so good Kristina! …although, I’m sure not quite as good as those swimmers looked! Too bad I don’t have cable! *sigh* Guess I’ll have to stick to the good ol’ salsa and chips in lieu of the salsa and speedos. What a drag! :p
    In all seriousness though, this salsa really does look delicious! I love all the fresh ingredients. Perfect for summer!

P.S. I love the labels at the top of the recipe! (The vegan, quick and easy, etc.) So cute! I don’t know if their new or I just didn’t notice them but, I see them now and I love them!

Haha that’s what youtube is for! Just creep on the US mens swim website :)

And so excited you like like my new labels (yes they’re new!), that was one of my favorite parts of the redesign!

25. Well, what do you know – I have all the ingredients on hand. Looks like I am going have to whip this baby up – looks too good!!

Let me know if you do Anna!! I seriously love this salad :) And served with lots of salty tortilla chips!

26. A very simple and interesting dish. I am new to your blog, and must admit it is beautiful.

Thanks Pooja! So happy to meet you :) Glad you liked my salad! Look forward to sharing more!

27. great looking refreshing salad, will try this recipe for sure!!