God Bless America. Peanut Butter. M&Ms. And pretzels.
And any excuse to eat them together.
Happy 4th of July guys! I know the real 4th is on Wednesday, but my city did all of their fireworks, parades, and parties this weekend which is awesome but also kinda strange? Because now we’re all wondering what we’re going to do on that actual 4th..?
Drink more beer? Watch more fireworks?? Chow down on some more buffalo wings?? Ugh.. if I have to…..
Fireworks over the lake!
So I’m really excited about today’s recipe! Its everything your inner child has ever craved mashed into an irresistibly yummy bar… Super kid-friendly and easy to make – these are perfect for the 4th!
When I was in high school my favorite snack was dipping pretzels in peanut butter and then smushing M&Ms all over them. And shoving them in my face.
It would drive my mom nuts because she’d go to make my little brother a pbj sandwich the next morning and there’d be bits of salt and chocolate smeared all over the Skippy Jar. That and oreo crumbs – I got that one from the Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, remember?? I also used to make tomato and mayo sandwiches because that’s what Harriet did in Harriet the Spy….
Totally unimpressionable 15 year old. Thank God she didn’t dunk butter in crisco or else we might have had a problem.
So these bars are a mash-up of everything I loved as a kid and everything I obsess over now (some things never change!). These peanut butter blondies are super soft and moist, loaded with rich chocolate chips and M&Ms, and then sprinkled in even more crushed M&Ms and pretzels.
I hope you all have a fabulous 4th!!
Yields 12 servings
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar (do not pack the brown sugar or you will have way too much)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup M&Ms candy, divided
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pretzels, crushed (fill cup with pretzels to measure, and then crush)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and coat an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour and baking powder together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter together until very soft. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture, semisweet chocolate chips, and 1/4 M&Ms and mix to form a dough.
- Spread dough into prepared pan.
- Coarsely crush remaining 1/2 cup M&Ms. Sprinkle M&Ms and pretzels on top of dough. Gently press into dough (very gently! do not push into dough, just so that they are snug on top).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and almost firm in the center.
- Allow blondies to cool completely before cutting.
recipe adapted from The Cooking Channel