Tea Sandwiches – 2 Ways

If you give a mouse a cookie….

She’s going to want to make appetizers.. and salads… and cocktails.. and sandwiches…and what about a pasta salad? Maybe some cupcakes?? But someone might want a vegetarian option…??

That’s pretty much what just happened this week.

It was one of my very best family friend’s wedding showers this weekend at my house and I got to be in charge of the dessert buffet! It started out with my mom wanting me to just bake cookies (Strictly cookies!) ….which quickly turned into brownies… and tea sandwiches… and strawberry lemonade… and….chocolate covered pretzels…

I just can’t help myself! If you give me a credit card and a grocery store you better have your stretch pants ready and a few hours to kill.

But the shower went fabulously! It was SO pretty; my mom had the same florist that did my Earth Day Dinner Party arrangements also design the table settings for the shower. He always comes up with the most amazing and unique concepts! He’s like the ying to Martha Stewart’s yang. Minus the DIY.. thank God.

(My mom and I  all dolled up for the shower!)

So I had a a fabulous week and I hope you all did too with the 4th! And to give you a little taste of the shower, I’m leaving you all with the recipes to two of the tea sandwiches I made for the luncheon. One is an herbed cream cheese cucumber sandwich, and the other is a creamy chicken salad sandwich. And both are dairy-free! Tricked all you ladies at the shower huh… bet you didn’t know you just ate vegan cream cheese :)

Happy Monday!

Note: For tea sandwiches my favorite bread to use is Pepperidge farm. Their bread is sliced very thin and the texture and flavor complement both of these sandwiches very well.

Nutrition (per sandwich): 62 calories, 2 grams fat

recipes adapted from Barefoot Contessa and The Vegan Table

Comments

1. YOU ARE SO LUCKY!

That sounds like so so sooooo much fun! I want to be in charge of a dessert table and spend someone else’s money on food! I bet everything you made was amazinggggg–and these tea sandwiches just looks so dainty and sweet!

• Also, can you tell I totally stalk you by the fact that I’m often the first to comment? I’m sorry, lol.

Love,
      Your Stalker

haha totally fine. Stalk away. Then I don’t feel as creepy liking every single one of your Facebook posts…..

Ooo I know! I get to cook for another big dinner party at the end of the month (like 30ish??) and I’m SO excited!! If it was just me we’d be eating McNuggets… and maybe I’d be splurging on some grocery cupcakes..

2. Adorable. Love. it. so. much!!

(I would totally go overboard, too.)

3. What a pretty shower! Those tea sandwiches sound so good!

Thanks girl :) There were! I didn’t think I was going to love a cream cheese sandwich… but I loved the cream cheese sandwich!

• Jodi Neal says:

Have you ever tried some of the hot pepper jelly with cream cheese as a tea sandwich. It works well with a very chilled flavored ice tea. Or Nutalla and fluff served with hot cocoa, and cinnamon chips. Your food and pic look great.

Thanks Jodi :) Nutella and fluff sounds amazing together! I need to try that out next time, Yum!

4. Kristina, you always have the best and most adorable appetizers ever! PS: I love the pic with Mom!

haha aw thanks! I have an appetizer obsession… I keep trying to get myself to post something else but I just can’t help myself!

5. OMG. your dessert table is GORGEOUS! I bet I couldn`ve eaten everything you made! And i loveee your outfit! totally cute & classy at the same time! ♥

Plus, I’m super jealous that you were put in charge of making cookies! I would love to be in charge of a dessert table! LOL

These sandwiches sounds awesome! Plus, there`re vegan!

Thanks Lynna!! So total secret… I split my skirt like 15 minutes before everyone got there! Right up the back, if I even slightly bent over it would not have been pretty…haah but I had just gotten the skirt and really wanted to wear it so I left it on and just prayed that no one got too big of a show :)

6. You look beautiful. Tea sandwiches ares so cute for celebrations like these…delicate and pretty. The cucumber and herb one looks super yummy.

The cucumber and herb was my favorite! I was obsessed with garden vegetable cream cheese as a kid and those little sandwiches completely reminded me of it :)

7. These sandwiches are adorable my friend, glad you had an awesome time :D

8. Oh! These are lovely! What an incredible wedding shower treat, Kristina :) Perfect treat, and these sammiches look fabulously delicious!

Thank you! The shower was so much fun! I wasn’t going to do the tea sandwiches originally, I’m so happy I did :) They looked so cute on the plate!

9. How beautiful! Everything looks delicious. I love tea sandwiches! My sister and best friend threw me a shower and they served sandwiches like these. They were delicious! You and your mom are adorable! :) Hope the shower was amazing!

Aw thanks!! It was! We all had so much fun :) I love tea sandwiches at showers too, I bet your’s were delicious too! There’s so many fun kinds to make I had the hardest time deciding!

10. I love being given a credit card and being told to do what I want!!! Your dessert table looks amazing-I need to take a page out of your book for setting things up! The cucumber herbed sandwiches look amazing-the dairy free cream cheese intrigues me. I am not quite ready to try it on a bagel but I think mixed in with something like this I could def give it a go!

Haha o no!! I swear the DF cream cheese is good! You just gotta make sure you get the Tofutti brand, thats the only one I really like. I dip pretzels in it too… sooo good! If you don’t like it you can blame me…. well maybe… :)

11. You really went all out–I’m sure your friend loved it! Those cupcakes are swoon-worthy, and I’m sure I’d love those cream cheese sandwiches.

Aw she did! And she is the absolute sweetest girl ever so it was so fun coming up with her menu! I loved the cream cheese sandwiches best too :) I still have a bowl of the cream cheese mixture in my fridge I keep eating!

12. I just adore tiny sandwiches, and those are two of my favourite combinations. I recently had an afternoon tea where I made variations on those, cut into tiny traingles, with a smear of cream cheese up the side – dipped in chopped chives for the cucumber, and sweet paprika for the chicken. Neat little sandwiches please me :)

Aw I LOVE that! Such a cute idea! That would’ve looked so great on the plate, stealing your idea for next time :)

13. Oh I’d certainly pick the one with cream cheese first. What a fabulous recipe. Love that you added herbs. :)

Me too! I was all about the cream cheese one :) It was the first time I used mint too and I loved it!

14. Um, LOVE YOUR OUTFIT!! Super cute! And these sandwiches are so fancy :)

Haha thanks!! I loved that skirt too, but I split it up the back literally right before everyone got there! I bent over to set up the dessert tray… and RIP. All the way up my butt! Nothing a few safety pins couldn’t fix… :)

15. 1 – we love that book if you give a mouse cookie, we read it every day :) 2- love the pic of you and your mom, your outfit is fabulous! 3- that shower had AMAZING food, awesome job Kristina! i’m now craving one of those sandwiches, they look so good!

haha aw thanks!! That was my favorite book growing up :) Go figure with the baking blog…. and so happy you liked the pics, I thought the shower turned out so well!! So much fun!

16. Gosh, these are gorgeous! You, my dear, are going to have an amazing career. I’ll be the first in line to have you cater something someday.

Thanks Jen! You seriously just made my day, that was the sweetest comment! I hope I do one day :) And you will have all the free samples you want!

17. It sounds like you had an amazing turn out. Everything looks so beautiful! I’m the same way when it comes to event planning. I get excited and end up putting everything on the menu.

I love tea sandwiches. There’s something about a tiny, crustless sandwich that I just love. I think it’s because they make me feel fancy. Like, pinky in the air fancy.

Hahah totally pinky in the air fancy! We even had iced tea, that’s fancy too right? It was so much fun! I loveeee planning events!

18. Oh Kristina! What a fabulous buffet table you made. And to think, your mom just wanted cookies! I love the tea sandwiches. My mom used to make me tea parties when I was little. Somehow, I just remember egg salad! Yikes! But every thing looks scrumptious! Especially those cupcakes! : )

Egg salad is my favorite! I would’ve added that too but we also had a fritatta so that would’ve been way too much egg :) Thanks Anne!!

19. Congratulation! You did wonderful job. I like both your tea sandwich recipes. I want to make them for me tomorrow.

Hahah you should! Those cucumber ones might take you a total of 5 minutes :) That’s why I love them so much!

20. Gorgeous table, it looks like such a fun shower :) I love that you added arugula to the chicken salad, yum!

21. Your dessert table is gorgeous. Too bad about your skirt. Hope that you can get it fixed! I will have to try the Tofutti! I love Cucumber Tea sandwiches, and will have to try them with fresh herbs.

You have too! I swear it tastes just like cream cheese, and when you mix in the herbs no one will have any clue :)

22. my mouth is literally watering lol. You come up with the yummiest looking food!

23. Wow, everything looks so amazing and I love little cucumber sandwiches. The venue looks lovely, too…as does the photo of you and your mom. :)

24. These are just gorgeous … Happy Friday :-)

25. I have done many occasions like this and can appreicate all of the work, and joy involved. You did a great job. My only thought was with those beautiful cupcakes that obviously took time and loving effort, why you didn’t use beautiful cupcake paper cups? Or even ribbon tied around them or pretty paper ? I love decorating and enhancing and I think that applies to food too, especially party foods. I did like the chicken salad recipe, that sounds good :)

Thanks for the compliments! It was such a fun shower, I wish I could have taken a close up of the cupcakes for you to see, the white paper liners looked so pretty and clean with the rest of the shower decorations!

26. How about something good for chitterlings? Food with guts to it!

1. […] Tea Sandwiches – 2 Ways – Whipped And to give you a little taste of the shower, I'm leaving you all with the recipes to two of the tea sandwiches I made for the luncheon. One is an herbed cream cheese cucumber sandwich, and the other is a creamy chicken  […]