If you give a mouse a cookie….
She’s going to want to make appetizers.. and salads… and cocktails.. and sandwiches…and what about a pasta salad? Maybe some cupcakes?? But someone might want a vegetarian option…??
That’s pretty much what just happened this week.
It was one of my very best family friend’s wedding showers this weekend at my house and I got to be in charge of the dessert buffet! It started out with my mom wanting me to just bake cookies (Strictly cookies!) ….which quickly turned into brownies… and tea sandwiches… and strawberry lemonade… and….chocolate covered pretzels…
I just can’t help myself! If you give me a credit card and a grocery store you better have your stretch pants ready and a few hours to kill.
But the shower went fabulously! It was SO pretty; my mom had the same florist that did my Earth Day Dinner Party arrangements also design the table settings for the shower. He always comes up with the most amazing and unique concepts! He’s like the ying to Martha Stewart’s yang. Minus the DIY.. thank God.
(My mom and I all dolled up for the shower!)
So I had a a fabulous week and I hope you all did too with the 4th! And to give you a little taste of the shower, I’m leaving you all with the recipes to two of the tea sandwiches I made for the luncheon. One is an herbed cream cheese cucumber sandwich, and the other is a creamy chicken salad sandwich. And both are dairy-free! Tricked all you ladies at the shower huh… bet you didn’t know you just ate vegan cream cheese :)
Note: For tea sandwiches my favorite bread to use is Pepperidge farm. Their bread is sliced very thin and the texture and flavor complement both of these sandwiches very well.
Herbed Cream Cheese Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Cream cheese mixture can be made up to 3 days in advance.
Yields 32 Sandwiches
- 8 oz dairy-free cream cheese (I like Tofutti best, but you can also sub in regular cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 cucumber, sliced very thin
- 16 slices whole grain white bread (or any other favorite bread)
- Combine cream cheese and chopped herbs in a medium bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on bread slices and top with cucumber. Sandwich with another piece of bread and carefully cut away crusts. Cut in half diagonally or horizontally.
Nutrition (per sandwich): 62 calories, 2 grams fat
Chicken salad can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Yields 32 Sandwiches
- 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream (or regular)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup arugula
- 16 slices whole grain bread
- Combine shredded chicken and nuts in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Fold in tarragon.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture and toss well to coat.
- Spread chicken salad on bread, top with arugula and sandwich. Carefully cut off crusts and slice down the middle to make two sandwiches.