Quinoa Curry with Mango and Tomatoes

I have a big. fat. crush. on quinoa.

I’m rocking some sexy red lipstick and some low cut pjs for this dinner. Maybe even my bunny slippers.

Lately quinoa’s become the super hot Senior Quarterback of health food. I have a (totally controllable…!) magazine obsession… and I swear this stuff’s seen more media appearances in the last month than Katie Holmes and Suri. All the health professionals can’t stop talking about it and all us health nerds are grabbing it off the grocery store shelves like there’s no tomorrow.

But for good reason. Health fads come and go but this one’s a new staple.

Quinoa’s loaded with protein, and not just any old protein, this seed has all nine essential amino acids – meaning its a complete protein. Perfect for vegetarians and vegans and just as perfect for those of us that go meatless every once in a while (like me!). Its also loaded with B vitamins, Vitamin E, magnesium, iron, and zinc – which if you just started spacing out from my little lecture, translates into more energy, immunity support, fending off migraines, and fighting osteoporosis. Plus its gluten-free!

So yes. I have a crush on the popular kid and thank goodness he gets around. There’s plenty of amino acid-y goodness for all of us.

If you like curries, this is a great way to start incorporating more quinoa into your diet. The creamy yogurt dressing helps soften the cooked seeds and gives it a milder texture than just an oil based vinaigrette. Plus, the pop of sweetness from the mangoes and tomatoes is sooooo good with the spice!

Enjoy everyone!

Recipe adapted from Gourmet

Comments

1. I literally just had quinoa for dinner last night for the first time ever. My friend made a mac and cheese which was not bad if you think of it as a casserole and not mac and cheese haha. I knew it was good for you but not THAT good, def going to eat it more often now.

2. So pretty! Love the curry idea for quinoa! Have a fabulous day, Kristina!

3. Why can’t my taste buds relish things like quinoa and broccoli instead of chocolate and peanut butter and brown sugar? whyyyyyy?!

Hahaha!! I know.. I know… its a curse… that why I eat quinoa for dinner and absolute crap for dessert. Its a problem.

4. I am a huge quinoa fan, I love this seed’s superfood qualities. And I”m totally into the way you prepared it, I’ve been in a rut when it comes to preparing it, going either sweet or savory and I haven’t thought to make it semi-sweet with tomatoes and mangos. Yum

totally agree! I usually just do a lemon-olive oil dressing with veggies so it was sooo nice to come up a new way to prepare it :) Have you ever baked into a casserole before? I just saw a recipe for one that looked really good

5. This looks absolutely delicious, Kristin!! I love the curry flavor.

6. i’ve never seen a quinoa curry! awesome idea!

Thanks! I was a little nervous at first but I absolutely loved it! The mango with curry was really good :)

7. This looks so delicious yet refreshing too and I’m not even a curry fan! My partner would love it, he’s a huge curry fan.

You totally made me giggle by rocking your red lippy with PJ’s and bunny slippers. You go girl!

I also have a question for you since you recently had your blog re-designed. Wasn’t you on blogger before but on the same domain? If so, how did you switch to WordPress and keep all your readers? And import all your old posts? I’m wanting to do this myself but I can’t seem to import my posts and don’t want to lose all my followers! :( Email me back if you can. Thanks mi’lady.

8. YUMMMMM.

I also have a crush on the popular kid. Uh oh. ;-)

9. This curry showcases deliciousness of quinoa perfectly :D

10. This sounds so yummy! Love this unique idea of flavoring quinoa with mango and curry! And so healthy too! ;)

11. that looks just delicious! i love quinoa — and with mango — mmm!

12. Oh I am in love, the I cannot get you out of my mind love, with quinoa. You can use it in so many ways. This one is new to me but I cannot wait to try it out. It is completely different than what I have had in the past. I am digging the mango and tomato combination.

Thanks Emily! I loved this new combo too, I was getting sick of my old routine preparing it :) Think lemon juice and olive oil…. still good! But got a bit boring!

13. I’m in love with quinoa, too! Thanks for another great recipe to add to my repertoire :)

14. Ooh! I’ve never tried quinoa in a curry form but I imagine it would taste delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Love the addition of

It was my time doing a quinoa curry too! But I absolutely loved it, it was such a yummy change from my usual routine!

15. I love the first paragraph of this post! And the salad looks great, too–I have a big fat girl crush on quinoa right now.

haha! She’s totally the popular girl, I’m starting to feel bad for orzo and couscous… haven’t hung out with them in a while :)

16. Confession: I’ve never tried quinoa! I’m pretty certain its time I climb out from under my rock and jump on the bandwagon. It always looks so good. I’m not sure what I’ve been waiting on but, I will definitely be putting on my teddy slippers (I don’t have bunny one :( ) and trying this soon!

Haha ok don’t feel bad! I just really got into quinoa the past couple months… there’s plenty room on the bandwagon :) And there’s about a zillion ways to prepare it, you’ll have to let me know when you finally try it! I swear you’ll love it, its such a nice change from the same ol’ rice or pasta….

17. Love the curry mango combo!

Thanks Bree! Me too :) It was the perfect savory/sweet combo… and it holds up really well in the fridge, had plenty of leftovers for the week :)

18. I love the mango & mint combination. This is such a jazzy quinoa recipe. I can’t wait to try it out this week!

Thanks Alaine! Let me know how you like it :) I loved the mango – mint too, and the yogurt sauce is great!

19. Thanks for the inspiration. I really like the taste of quinoa. I made my own version with shrimps last wednesday.