I have a big. fat. crush. on quinoa.
I’m rocking some sexy red lipstick and some low cut pjs for this dinner. Maybe even my bunny slippers.
Lately quinoa’s become the super hot Senior Quarterback of health food. I have a (totally controllable…!) magazine obsession… and I swear this stuff’s seen more media appearances in the last month than Katie Holmes and Suri. All the health professionals can’t stop talking about it and all us health nerds are grabbing it off the grocery store shelves like there’s no tomorrow.
But for good reason. Health fads come and go but this one’s a new staple.
Quinoa’s loaded with protein, and not just any old protein, this seed has all nine essential amino acids – meaning its a complete protein. Perfect for vegetarians and vegans and just as perfect for those of us that go meatless every once in a while (like me!). Its also loaded with B vitamins, Vitamin E, magnesium, iron, and zinc – which if you just started spacing out from my little lecture, translates into more energy, immunity support, fending off migraines, and fighting osteoporosis. Plus its gluten-free!
So yes. I have a crush on the popular kid and thank goodness he gets around. There’s plenty of amino acid-y goodness for all of us.
If you like curries, this is a great way to start incorporating more quinoa into your diet. The creamy yogurt dressing helps soften the cooked seeds and gives it a milder texture than just an oil based vinaigrette. Plus, the pop of sweetness from the mangoes and tomatoes is sooooo good with the spice!
This dish can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yields 6 servings as a side dish, 3 as a main dish
- 1/3 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 (1-pound) mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped
- Whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly add oil, whisking until combined.
- Bring 2 2/3 cup water to a boil in a 2-4 quart pot. Add quinoa, bring to a boil, cook over medium heat for 12 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove from heat, fulfill, and cover and let stand 15 minutes.
- Toss quinoa with yogurt dressing, mango, tomatoes, mint, and peanuts.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet