Eat Your Drink – Cucumber Herb Veggie Dip (Tzatziki)

So it is hot in Chicago.

Like real hot.

Like the kind of hot that even my  Degree Clinical Strength Deo can’t handle… that’s when you know there’s a problem. And thats not just a problem for me guys… that’s a problem for you.

So to beat the heat I thought I’d make my first post with the new format all about staying hydrated!

Its summertime – which means we all want to stay active, but its no fun laying around the pool with a headache and muscle cramps, hydrating is a must! So if we must…. may we please eat!

We all know water is the best way to stay hydrated, but another great way is to actually eat foods with lots of water in themThe key to finding hydrating foods is finding foods with high water percentages (shocking, I know!), but putting a finger on those exact foods might be more work than we really want to get into. Andddd that’s why I have Whipped’s new bestie, and resident registered dietitian, Ashley, doing the grunt work :) Thanks Ashley!

Here’s a quick list of some great foods to help keep you hydrated!

Whole fruits and veggies are best, try any of these (all are comprised of at least 80% water);

Eat Your Drink!

• avocado
  • cucumber
  • watermelon (and melons in general)
  • jicama
  • beets
  • carrots
  • grapefruit
  • celery
  • iceberg lettuce
  • eggplant
  • strawberries
  • tomatoes
  • sweet peppers
  • oranges
  • pineapple

Steer clear of caffeinated drinks and alcohol, these are both diuretics, and high sodium foods are just going to bloat you up, and who wants that in a bikini?? But if that morning latte or Thursday happy hour is a must- and let’s be serious…. it probably is! Then just make sure you guzzle down a cup water with every cocktail and keep a lookout for dehydration warning signs; nausea, headaches, dizziness, and muscle cramps.

So to put what we just learned to practice, I came up with the perfect summer snack to keep you hydrated and feeling your best so that not even this nasty 100 degree weather can hold you you down!

I made a Cucumber Herb Yogurt Dip thats packed with some of our new favorite hydrating ingredients;  yogurt, cucumber, and lemon juice. Pair it with fresh veggies and you have the perfect summer snack! You can store this in the frig for up to a week, so this is a great dip to keep around the house to snack on or bring to the office.

Nutrition Information (per serving); Calories: 27, Fat: 1 gram

Comments

1. I bet it is hot! I have heard it has been unbearable this summer. We are all needing some rain for sure!

I love this recipe. What a refreshing break from the heat!

The heat has been crazy! Its finally really nice today though (mid 80s!), I’m so excited to be outside all day!

2. Ooooh I love how informative this is! Lol :P

That dip looks soooo refreshing and summery!

Alsoo–omg, I feel like you’re gonna be here before I know it! You’re moving in September, right?

Hahah so informative! Do I sound super professional now?? Maybe I should stop saying things like ‘super’….

And o geez… I need to e-mail you asap! So change of plans, I transferred myself to the December session because I still have some stuff to finish up with my job here (seriously bummed!), so we can brave the NYC winter together :)

3. How did you know tzatziki is what of my favorite things? I could bathe in the stuff………although that might be worse than the whole ineffective deo situation…………..

Hahah gross! Seriously worse… I don’t think you want to stink of spoiled yogurt walking around in the heat… I’d take my faulty Degree :) Hope you’re home and feeling much better too! And eating lots of preservative-free food this weekend :)

4. Thanks so much for the comment today, it made my evening (especially given I’m still at work =/ ) Didn’t know you couldn’t have dairy either, I guess because all your recipes look so darn delicious I assume that they have to be just a little bit sinful :) I LOVE your blog, the recipes, the design, all of it! So glad to be following!

Aw you’re too sweet Michelle! Ya.. the dairy thing is a bit of a challenge with baking! But that’s why I’ve been baking a lot more dairy-free, and the things that do have dairy – I take a dairy pill and that usually helps a bit :) I just can’t go crazy with pizza or something!

5. Kristina,
    Here in Chicago Land, we need all of the hydration, that we can get. Your cucumber dip recipe is perfect for the hot, hot, weather. Thank you for the info about the fruits and veggies. i knew about some of them, but not all. Stay cool!

Haha we do! But its going to be nice today…finally! I’m so excited :) We deserve some 80 degree weather after the past couple weeks!

6. My hubby says I am a bird, because I drink water like a bird. I know it is not healthy, but I cannot (with all my strength) cannot consume more than 4 glasses of water a day. I am aware, that I need to do something about it, specially with this heat….Arrrgh! So, I resort to juices and cucumber, smoothies, watermelon, fruits….
    Thanks to another rehydrating option. You are the best! I’ll still try (try being the operative word) to drink more than 4 glasses a day, the rest I’ll make up with this ;)
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours have caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

7. Mmmm Tzatziki. How I love it. When I go to Greece I a.l.w.a.y.s order Tzatziki with a fresh Greek salad. The flavours are amazing and so glad I’ve found a recipe here to re-create at home.

I’m so jealous you’ve been to Greece! What’s traditional tzatziki like? I made mine kind of a hybrid, I’d love to hear what the original ingredients are!

8. There’s a couple of surprises on that list, avocado in particular. So hey, if it’s in the name of hydration..! :)

Haha bring out the guacamole! I had no idea about avocados either, and radishes??

9. Your tzaziki looks wonderfully fresh and deliciously perfect :D

CCU

Thanks darling :) Very fresh! I was dying for some fresh foods in that nasty heat last week!

10. What a great post. Looks yummy, Not a lot of hot weather in the UK sadly :(

Haha don’t be sad! I’m seriously jealous! I like hot… but really hot and humid is not very fun :) What’s it like by you?

11. It’s hot here too. :( But what an amazing dip to help keep you cool! It looks really refreshing!

Thanks Annie! It was really refreshing! Especially right out of the frig, nice and cool! And finally gave me a perfect excuse to snack on veggies during the day… and stay away from the vending machine :)

12. Its SOOO hot and this would be just perfect right now! Love the use of mint in this recipe.

I loved the mint too! I used to steer clear of mint, but the past few months I’ve been loving it, its so great in the summertime! Very refreshing :)

13. yum! sounds like a delicious dip :)

14. This dip looks delicious! I love the combination of the mint and dill. I’m usually pretty boring with my dipping and stick to ranch but, this sounds way better! I’ll definitely have to give this a try!

I love, love dill! My weeknight staple used to be a chicken sandwich that I would absolutely drown my mayo in dill with :) Let me know how you like this!! Its super easy, and if its just a couple of you eating it you could definitely half the recipe, that would be enough for two days probably!

15. I love the fresh herbs in this dip – looks tasty with those fresh veggies!

Thanks Dara! I love fresh herbs, especially in the summer time, its keeps everything bright and light! exactly what I needed in this nasty 100 degree weather :)

16. What a cool and delicious snack for hot weather (not that it’s that hot here!). The dip looks so creamy…I hope you find some ways to stay cool!

Hahah thanks! How’s the weather by you? It’s starting to slowly…. cool off next week :) Can’t wait!

17. This is such an awesome post! I`ve definitely been trying to stay hydrated. These are great facts to know. And how awesome is this dip? Good for you too? LOVING it!

Aww thanks Lynna!! Sometimes I have a hard time guzzling down water… so I liked having this excuse to just eat more :)

18. I was actually just about to make just the same thing! I have the exact ingredients in my pantry, lucky! Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

19. This looks great! I didn’t know you were in chicago! I’m in milwaukee

O fun! And I’m really in a suburb of Chicago so I’m so close to Wisconsin, I go to Lake Geneva all summer!

I’m going to be in Milwaukee early November for Ina Garten’s Book talk, any chance you’re going??

20. LOVE this dip. I eat SO much of it all the time.

I never did… and now that I’ve made it its a new staple! So easy? Between that and hummus I’m dip crazy lately…