Skinny Chocolate Chip Pumpkin-Banana Bread

The pumpkin plant in my garden is getting SO BIG.

Crazy big.

The kind of big that ate my thyme plant… my parsley plant…and my green pepper… and I don’t think its going to stop until it’s finished off my cherry tomatoes.

A good mom would rein in her bullying child, but I’m totally playing favorites and I am way too excited to have my own pumpkins for this fall to do anything about it!

Look at them! I’ve never even successfully grown a basil plant…and now I have two big pumpkins!

And here’s my eggplant! I love the gorgeous purple flowers the eggplants grow from.

Haha! Ok.. ok..now here’s my little puppy! She’s really actually pretty pissed at me in this pic. She always feels the need to “mark her territory” ALL around my garden. Every. Freaking. Time. Sometimes if I’m lucky and she had a big breakfast….. well you know….

So I kicked her out.  She sitting at the edge of where I’d let her go.

So in honor of my little pumpkins I wanted to make a pumpkin recipe!

And I knowwww its still summer and we usually save pumpkin recipes for fall – but just go with me here. It makes it that much more special when you sneak in a pumpkin recipe in the summer, especially when you haven’t had a pumpkin recipe since last November! I swear I about polished off half the loaf on my own it was so good!

It took me a couple recipes to come up with this one. This recipe is everything I want in a quick bread – super moist, with just the right spice, creamy chocolate, and smooth pumpkin-banana flavor; and its healthy! This is a recipe you can feel good about reaching for in the morning – it’s also vegan and made with whole grains!

Also, I didn’t just pick this recipe because it was ‘vegan’; I made 3 other recipes, all with eggs – but this recipe just happened to be my favorite! None of the other’s could compare with its texture. This one is so decadently moist and delicious!

IMPORTANT TIP* – Make sure you use a very large pan to bake your bread in. The batter should fill about 2/3 of the way up – this means that depending on the size of your pan you may end up with extra batter. Which is pretty fun! Because that means you have more batter to bake a mini loaf, or spread on a cookie sheet and bake up a single layer of pumpkin-banana goodness!

If you put too much batter in the pan your pretty little bread will sink, and no one wants that!

Recipe adapted from Skinny Bitch

Comments

1. I’m so jealous. I think our pumpkin died somewhere in our pathetic gardening attempts. This looks amazing.

hahaha! O no! I’ve been babying mine like crazy… everything else in my garden is dying, but those pumpkins are going strong :)

2. Looks. Amazing. You know where it went into? My pinterest board. Yes. It’s happening. Thanks for posting :)

Haha thanks Kammie! I swear pumpkin in the summer might even be better than the fall… I hadn’t had it in so long that I couldn’t get enough of it, sooo good!

3. So jealous of your garden!! Pumpkins and eggplants!? And you are a genius for making pumpkin treats in the summer. Who says we have to wait until the fall? Looking forward to trying this recipe!

Haha no way, pumpkin recipes only in the fall are way overrated! I’m not saying I would serve pumpkin pie on the 4th of July… :) But a slice of pumpkin bread in the morning with my coffee is too good to wait for!

4. I love that you & I both shared “fall recipes” today :P

I’m so happy for your little garden!! So excitiiing! And this bread does look reeeally good!

Ooo yum! I saw your potatoes! It might be 100 degrees out but I totally just want some pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes right now :)

5. As you could probably guess from my blog name, LOVE chocolate chip pumpkin bread! And this is the perfect guillt-free recipe too! :)

Haha couldn’t tell..? :) I loveee anything pumpkin too! When I was a kid I would never request bday cake… only pumpkin pie!

6. Oh wow i’ve never tried pumpkin bread but this looks like a good recipe to start with :)

Ooo you need to try pumpkin bread! If you like pumpkin pie, or anything pumpkin spice, you will love it!

7. I was just thinking about making a pumpkin bread myself and wondered if I was pushing my luck with all things pumpkin… glad I am not alone.

Haha no way, now you really need to bake something pumpkin so I don’t look crazy all by myself….

8. This looks delicious! I have my perfect pumpkin bread recipe but I have never tried it with chocolate or bananas, next time! So jealous of your garden :)

I LOVE regular pumpkin bread (one of my favorites!), but I also love changing it up every once in a while with banana and chocolate chips, the flavor combo is so so good!

9. This looks divine! I love pumpkin and the fact that you gave us a sneak peek for a fall recipe!

Thanks Eva! I can’t believe its already August! Fall is sneaking up on us… which works for me as long as I get to start baking up pumpkin recipes again :)

10. I want this bread, asap! I will be making a gluten-free version very, very soon. I love that pumpkin season is almost here in full force!

Oo yum! I can’t wait to your GF version! I have a pretty good GF banana bread recipe, but not a pumpkin one! :)

11. that is so cool that you are growing pumpkins!! yay! and i love chocolate chip pumpkin anything…totally making this soon!

12. Love this! Looks sooooo yummy!!!!!

13. Looks delicious! Can’t wait for the fall spices and flavors to come out more!

Me too! Fall foods are some of my favorites, I’m counting down the days until Starbucks starts making their Pumpkin Spice Lattes again….

14. THIS IS A DREAM. Seriously. Pinned.

15. Look at that garden go my friend, it looks fantastic :D
    ANd your bread is way too moorish, I can’t believe it is skinny!

16. How fun! I want pumpkins next year. This sounds amazing.

You should! They were surprisingly easy, and I think since I planted them in a raised bed and they were stuck within the frame they didn’t grow to be as crazy huge as they were supposed to :)

17. Wow, a vegan bread with all my favorite flavors!!Love the idea of using soy milk in this!Love the moist soft texture in your bread and would enjoy a slice right now for my breakfast :)

So lucky to have your own veggies growing in your backyard!

The moist soft texture is sooo good :) That was my favorite part about this bread – I made a few others and they just didn’t stack up!

18. Ha! This post is gadorable. You have EVERY right to be proud of those pumpkins! I’d be doing cartwheels around them if I had some in my yard. I totally have garden envy! And I’m thrilled to see a pumpkin recipe. Believe it or not its pumpkin season year round in Cayman! So as far as I’m concerned, pumpkin is totally summer-appropriate. Your bread looks DEEEEE-lish :)

Ooo I’m so jealous its pumpkin season year round! That’s so fun!! I’m cutting mine from the vine tomorrow, can’t wait to show you pics :) !!

19. I love your little pumpkins! I’m so proud of you for actually getting your garden going! I unfortunately never did :( Oh well…there’s always next year…maybe.

This bread looks amazing! I actually still have a big can of pumpkin in my cabinet from last year that I should probably use up before I restock this year. I will definitely be keeping this recipe in mind!

Haha that’s exactly what I did! When your canned pumpkin’s expiration date is about to come up you know its time you finally use it!

20. Hilarious, I love that you’re letting the pumpkin plant run rampant! This loaf sounds incredible…and makes me wish for fall even more!

Haha the pumpkins have completely taken over! I think they’re ready to be cut from the vine tomorrow though, my pepper plants are going to be soooo happy :)

21. That looks divine!

Winter is ending here and you’ve got me thinking about reclaiming the vegie patch from the weeds. There is nothing better than home-grown vegetables.

You should! I just took off my first eggplant yesterday! Only I’m too proud to eat it, I’m just leaving it on my kitchen counter so admire :)

22. Great guest post! The banana bread looks divine! Adding pumpkin is such a fantastic idea!

23. In my opinion, pumpkin is good all year long. I love the stuff, and you’ll probably get tired of seeing in on my blog this fall. This bread looks scrumptious- all sorts of studded with morsels of chocolate chips. I have the googly eyes going on over here.

I’m so jealous that you have pumpkins growing in your back yard. My yard is too small for pumpkins. I can’t wait to see them when they’re finished growing.

I think I can cut them from the vine tomorrow! They’re pretty much all orange, crazy though that they ripened so early because of the extra hot temps this summer. Looks like I’ll be carving my pumpkin in August…. haha

And I will never get sick of pumpkin recipes! Can’t wait to see your blog swimming in them this fall :)

24. Yum! This looks amazing, I love that it uses banana and pumpkin!

25. printable recipes?? that is amazing! how do you do that??

26. Yummm this looks delicious I am going to make it soon! Also I miss you and think we need to hang out ASAP! your such a cute lil blogger :)

Ashley!! I miss you! I’m coming downtown next weekend, lets meet up please! I’ll even bring you some of this pumpkin bread…. :) Goes really well with beer. ha

27. LOVE this! I adore baking with pumpkin – you never need butter. Your dog is so adorable.

28. This was really tasty! To be healthier, I used a half-cup of applesauce instead of the oil, and the texture was still great. With applesauce and a really ripe (black) banana, you can also reduce the sugar. Still wonderful!

29. I love that you & I both shared “fall recipes” today :P

30. I tried this out and it was just DELICIOUS! Baby and I (and boyfriend) both enjoyed it very very much! Thank you!
    And you were very right about the moist texture!

So happy to hear Celine!! I’m glad you all enjoyed it :) Pumpkin bread is one of my favorites, hope you had a great weekend!

31. Hey I have an 8×4 loaf pan. Will that work for this recipe? I have an old banana I need to use up today.

Hi Dana – yes you can definitely make the 8 x 4 work, just do not fill it all the way up. Fill it about 2/3rds of the way full and cut back on the baking time, just watch it as you go. You can throw the extra batter in a couple muffin tins and bake them up too :)

1. [...] the meantime, I’ve got pumpkin envy. Kristina over at Whipped has the most gorgeous pumpkins growing in her garden! We love our pumpkin in Cayman and this [...]