Quick White Bean Nicoise Salad and Quick Fixes When You’ve Overindulged

So I had such a great time this weekend! One of my very best friend’s from growing up got married and her wedding was fabulous!! I have never seen a couple so in love – if I ever had any thoughts that real love and soul mates don’t actually exist (Flash back 2 weeks ago to me shoving my face with soy ice-cream… watching 500 Days of Summer…and wondering why Prince Charming hasn’t called yet….), 5 minutes into their wedding and you would have already completed your E-Harmony profile, shaved your legs, and texted your last boyfriend.

My best friend, Kristen, and I at the church!

But while the wedding was gorgeous and we all had so much fun on Saturday night… what I really want to talk about is…Sunday morning.

And the puffy eyed… rings stuck on my fingers… yesterday’s mascara… half human I woke up to in the mirror the next day.

Weddings, holidays, parties, etc. are all times filled with our favorite people and our favorite foods. Mix those two together and it gets pretty easy to overindulge on that third piece of birthday cake or 3rd…4th…5th glass of wine!

What isn’t so fun is that gross bloated feeling we all get the next day. Feeling sluggish? Heavy? Puffy? …. Crabby?

So how do we get ourselves back on track and back to feeling just as confident as we did the night before??

That’s exactly what I asked Ashley! My resident registered dietitian and Sunday morning savior…

Click through the slideshow for her 7 Tips For Getting Back On Track

#1 Don’t Skip Meals!

This will just slow down your metabolism and increase the risk of you binge eating later…. like come dinner time!  Instead, cut back on your calories throughout the day with a series of 5-6 light meals packed with fruits and veggies.

#2 Eat a Breakfast Packed with Fiber and Protein

This will keep you feeling fuller longer so it’s easier to cut back on calories later on in the day. Try oatmeal with milk and berries, or greek yogurt with granola and fruit!

#3 Keep Lunch and Dinner Simple.
#3 Keep Lunch and Dinner Simple.

Aim for a balanced meal of a lean protein (grilled or bake fish or chicken, 2 oz. deli meat, 1/2 cup beans, or glass of milk), plenty of greens, and a carbohydrate (whole wheat sliced bread or roll, 2/3 cup whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup beans, peas, or corn).

#4 Snack Smartly
#4 Snack Smartly

Snack on a piece of whole fruit between breakfast and lunch, and add a high protein snack in between lunch and dinner (think fat-free yogurt, handful of almonds, peanut butter on crackers).

#5 Water, Water, Water!
#5 Water, Water, Water!

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day to keep your digestive system moving.

#6 Don’t Overcompensate with Exercise
#6 Don’t Overcompensate with Exercise

Don’t go run a marathon if you usually run a 5k! You’ll just risk hurting yourself. Instead, try going for a long walk or jog to stimulate the digestive system and get your metabolism going.

#7 Sleep.
#7 Sleep.

Rest, we’re all good at that! Pop in a movie and take a snooze. When you’re tired you’re more likely to snack!

Wondering what lunch or dinner should like??

Exactly like my Quick White Bean Nicoise Salad!

This comes together in under 30 minutes and is packed with veggies, protein, healthy fats, and carbs!

Recipe adapted from Health Magazine and Power Foods

Comments

1. Yeaaaaah…recovering from weddings…that’s fun…not that I’m speaking from past weekend experience…

Gorgeous salad. Nix those olives and I’m totally there.

haha well I totally forgot to put the olives in the salad when I took the pic for this post.. shhh…. I was hoping no one would notice :)

2. Oh, one of my favorite salads!!! I must make this soon :) And I’m certain your prince charming is just around the corner!!!

Hahah fingers crossed for me Liz :) And thanks! I love nicoise salads too! I’m a big hard-boiled egg girl, so any excuse to through those into a salad I’m all over

3. Don’t feel guilty about a great Saturday night every once in a while. Every week might get excessive, however. As I used to say in college, you didn’t have a good time if you can remember your evening past walking through the front door. hahaha

hahaha! Definitely sounds like college.. :) And so happy you like the slideshow! I had to play around with it forever last night, it took me a bit to find the right plugin but I absolutely love the one I chose! Thanks again for you help!

4. Oh, and the slideshow looks great!

5. The slideshow is awesome!!!…I am always wondering what to eat after a night on the town so these tips are great! I need to start getting more creative with my salads, your looks delicious :)

So happy you like the slideshow!! I was so excited to get that up! And totally with you on the salads – I’m usually so boring, same bottled dressing… chicken.. lettuce… it was nice actually forcing myself to try something new!

6. Wow those tips in slideshow are magnificent :D
    I’m sure they could help :D
    Just like your delicious salad – I finished an exam and WAY over indulged today do this is good stuff :)

7. You are just so pretty! And this salad looks AMAZING!!!

8. I love the helpful slideshow! And that wedding sounds amazing *sigh* I hate waiting to get married. I wants to get engaged ASAP!

In other news—those cookies I made? Would be totally perfect to send. They’re not overly gooey and they girm up really nice. So comfort that poor friend of yours with chocolate cookies!

I’m making them tonight!! They look so good I don’t even want to send them to her…. let you know how they turn out! My oven hasn’t been cooperating lately – it lies all the time and says that its 15 degrees cooler than it really is.. drives me crazy!

Um… and you two need to get married! You would be such a pretty bride :) And I bet the food at the reception would kick ass.

• Oooh I hope they turned out good!

And I knoooow, we’re just saving up money, I really wanna get married soonish!!! And you’re too sweet :) I can’t wait to be all bride-y, for sure! And I hope the food is good! I’m going to have to have a war with everyone who’s going to want a mediocre buffet when I want a nice sit down dinner with good food. The cookie table will be epic though, it’s an Italian thing and mine and Michael’s Italian sides loooove a good cookie table :P

9. So glad you had fun at your friend’s wedding–and great tips for recovering from overindulgence. That salad looks amazing!

Thanks!! The wedding was a ton of fun, I can’t wait for the rest of my friends to keep getting married, I’ve got a whole line of them coming up.. :)

10. That is one delicious looking salad! No hangover needed! lol I’m loving that you threw in the potatoes and beans. Salads usually leave me hungry an hour later but, I’m sure with those additions, this would definitely keep me going for a while. Great recipe Kristina!

Same here! I always think I’m being all “good” eating a salad… and then instead I just eat my body weight in bread :) Carbs are my downfall…

11. Good to know you had a great time at the wedding! But I love tips to recover – the salad is surely the perfect way to start!

Thanks! I loved learning about the tips to recover too – I swear I have that problem… every.. time…! Thank goodness for Ashley :)

12. Ha! That’s why Gramma over here doesn’t stay up past midnight anymore and very rarely drinks. I just can’t deal with the puffy monster the day after :) Doesn’t mean I can’t find an excuse to indulge on this super yummy salad. Looks fabulous, darling!

13. I’m itching to make a good nicoise salad so this looks extra yummy :-)

14. Love the slideshow! & yayy, i love salads!

15. I love your dress at the wedding. Great color! This is my kind of salad. Adding hard boiled eggs like that is always a good thing.

Aw thanks! I was worried I was going to be too pale to pull off the light purple, but nothing a little tan in a bottle couldn’t fix :) And I’m with you on the hard boiled eggs, those are staple for me

16. I LOVE the tips for getting back on track. I could really use them right about now!

17. Awesome post – I struggle with this on Mondays as well. Gorgeous salad and helpful tips!

Thanks Dara! Haha yup – Monday’s can be rough.. it always feels so good to get back on track though!

18. What a great salad!! This look so delicious my dear!

19. I actually love Nicoise Salad and so happy to see your version! I put capers in it too. Oh looking at your photos and imagining the salad makes me crave for it already. I’d definitely eat this as main dish!

20. I am going to a wedding soon, and am not looking forward to the aftermath :p
    But I think you have found the perfect dish to make up for it, thank you for sharing!

haha for sure! I’d even make it in advance… bc lets be serious, no one really wants to cook the day after :)

21. I overindulge more than I like to admit, so I’m keeping this beautiful salad on standby.

22. What a fabulous salad! Love the use of beans in place of tuna for protein! Sounds like you had a great time of the wedding!

I did! Thanks :) I loved the beans too, I usually use tuna but it was such a fun change to swap them out this time!

1. [...] 2. Quick White Bean Nicoise Salad  [...]