Girl Power Bars – Granola Bars for Healthy Hair, Skin, and Nails!

Ok, so my bathroom counter literally looks like a really bad “Buy One Get One Free” sale in the cosmetics section at Walgreens.

Hoarders would beg me for an episode if they took two steps toward my sink.

There is eye shadow from I swear to God.. at least 5 years ago… moisturizer for oily skin… moisturizer for dry skin…  moisturizer for the wrinkles I don’t have but that Lancome has promised me I will within the year… body lotionshair gelshair conditioners… and more!

I run myself through the latest fads in beauty care but the number one thing that is always guaranteed to work is….good nutrition. But really guys! If you’re wondering why your hair is breaking or your skin is looking a little dull, think about what you’re doing every day. Late night work events? Running through the drive-thru at 5am trying to beat rush hour?? It all adds up and takes a toll on not just how we feel, but how our pretty little faces look too :)

Life is unavoidable, we get busy and shortcuts are a must – which is why I enlisted the help of my BFF and resident dietitian, Ashley, to help me come up with a quick and delicious (seriously I’ve already had two of these today while taking their pics…) recipe that packs all the essential nutrients we need for strong and glowing hair, skin, and nails.

These little protein packed bars are full of Iron, Vitamin A, B,C, D, E, Omega-3s, Selenium, Zinc, Copper, Biotin, Riboflavin, and Calcium!

If you want to know more about the specific vitamins, or have any other questions about how we can feed our gorgeous locks, tweet Ashley at @AshleyMcGinnRD, #AskAshley

These are deliciously chewy – honey almond power bars. I love the texture the puffed cereal gives them and same with the cherry cherries and berries.

Nutrition (per bar); Calories: 162, Fat: 6 grams

Comments

1. Glad I’m not the only one who hoards cosmetics :) These Girl Power Bars look awesome–I love all the ingredients!

Thanks Connie! Haha glad I’m not the only one too… I got a little embarrassed after I posted this recipe this morning and actually tried (kind of.. ) to organize my horrible counter! Its a lost cause.. :)

2. These look great! Thank you so much for posting these. I’ve long wanted a homemade granola bar recipe that didn’t use marshmallows to get them to “stick” together. LOVE this and will for sure be making some this weekend.

• wow…I’ve never seen one that had marshmallows-that sort of defeats the purpose lol. I always use nut butters and/or honey :)

Aw thanks Tammie! Let me know how you like them! I love the texture with the puffed cereal :) And marshmallows are sooo good with rice crispy treats, but definitely too much sugar for a healthy snack! Nut butters, maple syrup, and honey usually all do the trick to get them to stick!

3. Ooooh those bars look great! I’m a big fan of making granola/protein bars instead of buying-so much better for you! And…yeah…I know I still have some makeup from like…at least high school if not middle school. And I have wrinkle cream (admittedly it was free, as payment for a commercial I shot)…but yeah..can never be too careful!

My favorite is when people ask me if it works and I”m like “um….so far so good? I didn’t have any before so…?”

Hahaha! Why are free samples always so much better then the real deal?? I collect Sephora samples like candy. Its like since they’re a free ‘gift’ I just assume they’re magic…

• Hahahaa true. Luckily this stuff are 2 full sized containers of anti-aging cream. Considering that commercial has been airing on investigation Discovery that’s the least I deserved! :P (ok…they also paid me like $100…but still not enough!) lol

4. Homemade granola bars are the best – we make these all the time. Yours look amazing and yummy!

I usually buy Luna Bars like crazy (it just gets so expensive!), but I’m definitely sticking with these homemade ones from now on, and its such an easy thing to do!

5. these sound delicious, I am always up for ways to make my hair prettier while eating a healthy snack :) great recipe! I love this partnership of yours with ashley!

Thanks April! Its been so much fun working with her, I get my own personal dietician to ask all my dorky questions too, like how to make my hair shinier… :)

6. Yum! I love granola bars – they’re usually my go-to afternoon snack at work (well…unless I have a bag full of crumbled cookies…) ;-)

I’m going to have to give these a try!

hahah crumbled hot pink cookies are definitely the way to go… :) I’m such a big granola bar girl though too, Luna bars are my staple (chocolate peanut butter!), obsessedddd!

7. i love homemade granola bars, and yours look soooo good! i love the puffed cereal in here, i bet it gives it a nice crunch! i’m definitely making these soon!

The puffed cereal was my favorite part! I love the texture it gives, and it helps keep the bar nice and chewy too!

8. I definitely notice that as soon as I start not sleeping as much or eating poorly, my skin starts breaking out like crazy! I definitely should keep these bars on hand ALWAYS to prevent that :P

Hahah ugh! same here…. monday morning skin is not my best moment :) But eating right definitely helps!

9. Girl power indeed! These would be a live saver, thanks for sharing!

10. Granola is my go-to snack of choice. I love the stuff and can’t get enough of it. These bars look delicious. And, they’re good for me? Sold!

same here! I eat granola every morning with my yogurt :) And then a granola bar in the afternoon…,and maybe more after dinner…o geez… haha ya, I eat A LOT of granola..

11. you had me at girl power. these look awesome!
    xo

12. I have the same problem with beauty products–my lipstick collection is threatening to take over my bathroom counter. These bars look great!

haha! I have that same problem! I lose track of which lipsticks are the oldest too, and get worried I’m using an old lipstick that I used when I had a cold…way back when… I’m a germaphope. :)

13. Hoarders special…hahahaha. I think that show makes almost everyone feel like they need an intervention of some kind. :)

haha! Sometimes watching that kind of stuff makes you feel really good about urself… and the other times you’re just like “o crap. I do that too!”… Thank you TLC Network…

14. I love thinking and knowing that what I am eating is doing my body good. These look quite delicious. I enjoy these posts very much!

Thanks Emily! These are my favorite to write too, its been so much fun collaborating with Ashley! Glad you’re liking :)

15. I`ve been obsessed with making my own granola bars lately. hehe & you`re not helping! especially with all this talk about luscious hairrrr. :D

Haha its all about the hair! Summer weather is killing mine… I’m a pretty mix between a frizz ball and split ends.. I’m in serious need of a trip to the hair salon :)

16. You got me with all the health benefits my friend, this looks fantastic :D

17. You and Ashley are so young and beautiful that you shouldn’t have to worry about using all those products! Me, on the other hand, am old enough to be your mom and will start downing these bars as soon as I can make them :) They look delish!

haha! Oooo stop, You do not need to start downing these bars Liz! We’re facebook friends, I know how pretty you are!

But glad you like them :) I”ve been making batch after batch all week, my family keeps polishing them off before I can even grab one!

18. I love this idea. You are too funny, I am the same way with cosmetics. These granola bars look so so good! They really look delicious and I love how healthy they are!

Thanks Annie! And haha I’m glad to hear you’re as big of a cosmetic hoarder as me :) I was starting to get a little embarrassed….

Hope you’re having a great weekend! Can’t wait to see your stevia post tomorrow!!

19. So, I really wish I had one of these for an afternoon snack right now!

20. These sound amazing and I definitely could use a little extra boost for my skin and hair (yikes, learning to curl my hair has not been good for it). I’m loving the results of your collab with Ashley! Keep up the good work!!

haha o no, curling irons are never good! I’ve literally burnt off hairs….

And so happy you are liking my new posts with Ashley! Its been so much fun coming up with new ideas together!

21. I absolutely love these! So many healthy elements packed in. I am so jealous of your tasty snacks.

Thanks Dara! Sometimes life gets so busy, I was so excited to come up with a bar that packs as much health benefits as I could into one little bar! Much tastier than a vitamin :)

22. Hi- I can’t wait to try these but I’m allergic to honey! Do you think Maple Syrup would make a good substitute?

Hi Bonnie! Yes, maple syrup should work great, I think it might even be tastier! I’ll have to try that next time :) So excited you’re going to try these, you’ll have to let me know how you like them!

23. Delicious! The maple flavor blends away with everything else. This may be my new go-to breakfast on school mornings- thanks so much!

Thanks Bonnie! Definitely my new go-to :) I’ve been mixing up batches of these like crazy! Glad you liked these!

24. I have heard that you don’t get very much nutrition from flaxseed unless it has been ground. Do you use whole or ground flaxseed for this recipe?

Hi Erin! Great question – yes, ground flaxseed is much easier for our bodies to digest, whole flaxseeds tend to pass through.. whole… which means we aren’t able to absorb all of the nutrients, I’ve used both with this recipe, it depends on whatever I have on hand at home :)

• Thanks! I keep whole flaxseed and then grind it with a spice grinder as I use it, so I wasn’t sure which to do! I used ground flaxseed and natural peanut butter instead of almond butter (because I had it on hand). These are the most delicious granola bars! They will definitely become a staple in my house!

25. love these! I have a thing for almond butter right now, I’ll have to give this a try!

26. I LOVE the flavor of these, but I can’t get them to stay together in bars. They are just a crumble when I try to take them out of the pan. The only substitution I’ve made is using maple syrup in place of honey. Could that be enough to make this difference?

It might Jill, the honey is definitely a bit more tacky then the maple syrup. If you really want the maple syrup flavor maybe try using half honey and half maple syrup and see if that helps? Also, after you make them, make sure to store in the refrigerate so they stay firmer longer :) Hope this helps!