Ooey Gooey Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

So I know today is Labor Day and I should be posting something BBQ or summer party-ish… which is what I was totally planning on doing. I swear.

Until I made these cinnamon rolls on Friday.

And OMG. omgggggggg! Total when Harry Met Sally moment, these little buns are killer.

Just close your eyes a minute…can you smell the warm cinnamon rolls baking in your oven?? Taste the creamy sugary glaze and tender sweet dough…bursting with warm cinnamon-y raisins…. Now open your eyes. If you’re staring at a bowl of instant oatmeal I am sorry.

Because I just polished off the last of these even though they’re like 3 days old  - and I’m pretty sure the fruit fly invasion that has taken over my kitchen has bred their new generation on them. I do not care.

I found this recipe in one my very favorite vegan cookbooks, Chloe’s Kitchen – this girl know her sh**. Seriously. Her vegan baking is out of this world. I barely messed around with her ingredients because her recipe is pretty much perfection. And I don’t usually like to post recipes that aren’t mainly my own, but I just couldn’t resist sharing this one!

So without further ado…

• And one last thing!

• Next week’s post with Ashley is going to be a Recipe Makeover – Skinny Spins on Your Favorite Not-So-Healthy Foods!
  • And I want to leave it to you guys to choose what recipe I makeover!
  • Comment below, Facebook me, or Tweet me, and let me know what favorite dish you’d like to see me and Ashley health-ify!

Comments

1. OMG this looks so good! I haven’t made cinnamon rolls yet but they are on my “to-bake” list! Now I am hungry for these rolls!

Ooo you must! I hadn’t make homemade cinnamon rolls in forever and had completely forgotten how amazing fresh warm rolls are!

2. Oh Kristina, these look amazing!! How did you make them so perfect looking? I need to make these! I just bought some earth balance a few days ago to try for the first time. I can’t wait to try these! Thanks!!

Hahah I just ran out of my earth balance! All of those frosting experiments for my banana cake used up everything I had :) You’ll have to let me know if you do! I really truly loved this recipe!!

3. These look amazinggg! That is so cool what you can do with vegan baking, I can practically smell these. mmmmm :)

And I don’t even know what to tell you to makeover! Lol I know whatever it is will be perfect!

4. SO MANY THINGS TO SAY (bet you aren’t surprised). Ok, let’s list.

1.) Ok, I’m totally going to grab my When Harry Met Sally dvd and watch it right now. Sorry Netflix, you’re gonna have to wait for another night.

2.) Which leads me to want to discuss Bachelor Pad with you (we discussed that we both watch that, right?)…don’t know what the real connection is but whatever.

3.) LORD ALMIGHTY I need one of these cinnamon rolls. Yes pleeeeeeease!

4.) I’d ask you to make over mac and cheese, but that would be just mean. So…make over mashed potatoes! Or something. Make over anything! Baha. I’m helpful.

xoxo.

haha mac and cheese?? really?? I might just do it…

And I have been totally missing out on bachelor pad! I’ve been watching my TiVo’d Homeland (Obsessed!!), need to catch up, I saw things got crazy last week!

AND! I think I found us the perfect brunch place. So get excited :)

5. Mmm. I’m not vegan but any gooey cinnamon rolls are yummy in my book!

Haha no I swear you would have no idea these were vegan! I made them for my friend and she though I was joking when I told her :) Love gooey cinnamon rolls too!

6. i totally wish these were baking in my oven right now – they look so fantastic!

7. VEGAN??? HOLY COW!!! I’d lick the screen if this wasn’t new. Omg. I love this.

hahaha! Seriously so good! And you would have no clue these were vegan either :) Kind of upset theres none left for this weekend….

8. Vegan cinnamon rolls!?! Brilliant. I can literally smell these through my monitor. Fabulous recipe.

9. Aww, man! I’m having a sleepless night so I jumped on twitter and everyone is posting these amazing recipes! It’s 255am and I want to bake NOW!

hahaha!! I’m not so sure how half-asleep baked cookies would turn out :) And I totally know what you mean – I have to cut myself off from food gawker past like 10 pm or else all I want to do is bake a cake!

10. Love that these are vegan–way less guilt that way! ;)

Haha of course :) Only after I polished off two in a row last wkend I feel like its not quite as healthy….

11. Wow! Your vegan cinnamon rolls have me drooling! Just picture perfect!

12. These look crazy awesome! It’s always cinnamon roll time, no matter what the season!

13. Baking these for the smell alone is worth it. No candle comes close to the smell of the real deal baking up in the oven. These look delicious, Kristina!

So true! Those glad candles don’t come close (even though I kinda love the pumpkin spice one…), fresh baked cinnamon rolls were soooo good last wkend, need to do again soon!

14. I am GOING to make these. They look SO great!

Thanks :) I swear by this cinnamon roll recipe, so yummy! And you don’t have to rise overnight either – even better :)

15. These look amazingg!! Cinnamon rolls are definitely one of my favorite desserts!

Same here! I had completely forgotten how much I love them until I baked these up last wkend, SO so so good!

16. I cannot believe these are vegan my friend, they look ridiculously delicious :D

17. I’m so in love with you (and these) right now, it’s insane.

hahaha! I’m still in love with those. I’m going through serious cinnamon withdrawal now that they’re gone….

18. Wow, these look delicious! For those of us who love our animal products and don’t want to buy specialized vegan products, do you think regular milk and butter would work for this recipe??

Absolutely! Should turn out great! If you’re using dairy you could even switch up the glaze I do and make one with cream cheese, milk, and powered sugar :) Would be super yummy on these!

19. I just cried into my oatmeal.

Holy smokes these look hot! I ADOOOOORE cinnamon buns but unless they’re the pillsbury kind, I’m not gonna attempt to make them. New plan! You should come make them for me :)

Haha Im usually like that too! I am wayyyyy to lazy to sit around and make cinnamon rolls, but I”m so happy I did the other week, I swear those fresh cinnamon trolls were amazing in the morning! And haha how bout you come make them for me? I think once was enough for a while.. I’d like to just magically appear on the breakfast able tomorrow please :)

20. I’ve just made them today, they are so amazing, you wouldn’t have a clue they are vegan unless someone told you. A perfect way to convince those stubborn meat eaters that we do eat and like tasty food and sweets. Although I found them a little to sweet for my taste and quit heavy to after eating 3 (way to much, I know) I was so stuffed. They definitely helped me another step on the way of becoming 100% vegan.

21. For weeks now I said I would make these and finally I did today! I loved the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

22. I made these today… OMG good, forreal. They were humongous, and they all got eaten up almost immediately.

One thing I changed was the glaze. I didn’t measure, but it was delicious… I used probably close to two teaspoons of vanilla, two tablespoons of organic shortening, a few splashes of almond milk (until the consistency was right) ,maybe a cup and a half of powdered sugar, and zest from one smallish orange. So tasty. :)

Thanks so much for the recipe! All the stars, for you!

So happy to hear!! These are one of my favorites :) And your glaze sounds fabulous! Really like the hint of orange, definitely trying next time!

23. Thanks for the recipe, I was looking for something sweet to add my homemAde fruit mince too, and this was perfect. Would be a great Christmas morning breakfast.

Thanks Claire! These cinnamon rolls are definitely one of my favorites :) I’m making them again for Christmas this year too, you’ll have to let me know how you like them! Have a great holiday!

24. So glad I found your blog! My son has dairy, egg and peanut allergies and I was searching for vegan cinnamon roll recipe…search is over…it wouldn’t be Christmas morning without cinnamon rolls baking in the oven! Thanks!

Nice to meet you Kim! Glad you found my blog too :) Those cinnamon rolls are one of my favorites, can’t wait for you to try! Have a great holiday!

25. These look amazing! I would love to make them for
    Christmas morning, do you think I could prepare them the night before and then bake them that morning? Let them get to room temp first?

26. I’ve recently become vegan and am so excited to find a vegan cinnamon roll recipe – definitely going to make it for Christmas morning! Do you think it would work okay with almond milk or rice milk instead of soy milk? (I don’t like soy milk, so never buy it).

27. will be trying this recipe out looks yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

haha thank you! I love love love these cinnamon rolls :) I keep trying to find another excuse to make them!

28. Chloe’s Kitchen is definitely my favourite cookbook! This recipe is perfection

29. My daughters’ 17th birthday is today! I am having 9 girls for a sleepover party later on this afternoon! One of the girls is vegan so I’m making these cinnamon rolls right now (smells yummy) for them to all enjoy tomorrow morning for breakfast. Thanks for the recipe!

Aw happy birthday to your daughter!! I love these cinnamon rolls :) I really hope they do too! You’ll have to let me know it goes!

30. These look amazing! One question. Would it be the same to use oil instead of the vegan margarine? Or vegetable shortening?

Hi Amanda! Are you talking about swapping it in for the entire recipe? Or just the topping? Vegan butter would definitely be best, but if you need to swap you probably can – you’ll have to play around with it a bit though, you’ll need slightly less oil than the amount of butter called for, and the dough might turn out a bit denser too and flaky – not as light and fluffy as the butter. The filling should be an easy swap though! :) Hope this helps a bit! Let me know how it goes, curious!

31. Can I use gluten free flour? Or even king Arthur’s muffin mix? This looks delicious!!! My son is allergic to dairy/nuts/eggs and I like to bake gluten free when possible, which is why I ask. Thanks!

Hi Maria! I haven’t tried this recipe with gluten free flour but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work! Just make sure to add the correct amount of xanthan gum (check the back of your gluten free flour mix for instructions) to the recipe. Let me know if you go with the gf flour of muffin mix, I’m curious! Hope your son loves these! :)

32. Sarah H. says:

Googled vegan cinnamon rolls and this was the 3rd or 4th choice. I made them for my sister who has recently gone vegan and was craving something sweet. I altered it slightly- adding pecans to mix, good protein! And instead of making them all at once I rolled them up and cut them and placed them on a cutting board and froze until solid. Package into a ziplock bag and whenever you need one pull it out defrost it proof it and bake it off! Vegan cinnamon rolls whenever you’d like!!
    Thanks so much for the recipe! I really hope that this satisfies my sisters sweet tooth!!

LOVE that you individually froze them, wish I would’ve thought of that when I made them last! Definitely doing that next time :) Hope your sister enjoyed these!!

33. Just as an FYI, sugar isn’t necessarily “vegan.” Conventional sugar is usually refined. Part of the refining process is done by filtering the sugar (after being bleached) through beef bone char. I just want people to be aware if they are dedicated to living a total vegan lifestyle. :)

1. [...] brunch at home and I plan on making Brittany’s Crustless Quiche again and perhaps some Vegan Cinnamon Rolls?! [...]