Skinny Veggie Chili and Ask Ashley!

I have an extra special post for you guys today! Not only am I introducing you to my fabulous veggie chili recipe… I’m also introducing you to the queen of fabulous – Whipped’s resident dietitian, Ashley!

She’s been the secret machine behind my health topic posts (remember my Girl Power Bars, Probiotic Stir Fry, and White Bean Nicoise Salad recipe??), researching all things healthy and nutritious to help me put together some powerhouse recipes for you all!

I wanted to take today to let Ashley introduce herself so you can learn a little bit more about her. She is one of my absolute favorite people on the planet and I am so excited for you to get to know her even better!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ashley, and I couldn’t be more excited about teaming up with Kristina as her go-to gal for the latest and greatest in nutrition.

I’ve been a Registered Dietitian for a little over a year now and feel so lucky to have a career that I am passionate about.  I have always been a bit of a science nerd, but what drew me to the healthcare field and ultimately dietetics was witnessing my mom’s battle with breast cancer.  It made me realize how much of an impact diet and lifestyle can have on overall well-being, and how much it can be compromised in those dealing with chronic conditions.  I am currently pursuing a certification as an Oncology Dietitian in the hospital setting, but am also highly interested in nutrition as it relates to general wellness—enter my role on Whipped :).

I recently made the move from the northwest Chicago suburbs to the city and am having the time of life experiencing all that Chicago has to offer—and that certainly includes the cuisine!  In my free time I enjoy being with my family, fueling my shopping addiction, all things Illini, going to museums, going out on the town with my friends, catching up on reality TV, and being outdoors (especially this time of year!).

I am really looking forward to learning more with you and cannot wait to be challenged by all of your questions.   Please feel free to find me on Twitter (@AshleyMcGinnRD) or connect with me on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ashley-mcginn-rd-ldn/19/6a/83a).

Let’s have some fun!

In honor of Ashley’s spotlight post today I wanted to make her one of her favorite foods – Chili!

To bump up the nutrition profile and keep calories in check I decided to make a protein packed vegetarian chili full of zucchini, red peppers, tomatoes, and hearty beans. And seriously…this chili is goodVegetarian chili is such a great healthy alternative to traditional beef chili. By using beans as the base and omitting the meat you slash fat and calories and pick up lots of healthy fiber and protein! Plus is just tastes good. I love my veggies. And covered in spicy chili powder and savory cumin everyone will love their veggies.

Enjoy guys! Love me so some Fall chili!

Nutrition Information (per serving); Calories: 193, Fat: 2 grams

I also just linked up my recipe with Wellness Weekend, jump over there for a some other yummy vegan recipes!

Comments

1. EXCITE! Nice to meet the inspiration behind the healthy and delicious recipes you’ve been rocking out lately! I’m looking forward to many nutritional mash-ups, ladies!

And this chili is pretty much spectacular :)

Thanks : ) ! I’m so excited for you all to get to know Ashley even better! We have a lot of fun things planned together!

2. I love the getting to know Ashley section!!! And I know my bff Alex would love this recipe (not to mention she’s a nutrition major herself) :P

3. The weather just turned cool…sweatshirt and jeans weather. Perfect timing for chili!

Same here :) It went from 80… to low 60s in like 3 days! I’m making chili again right now (while Im typing this post… ) for a tailgate tomorrow, chili is seriously the best fall food

4. I just make chili today too! yum!! I love this skinny version :)

Fun! Its such chili weather right now :) I’m literally making another batch right now…. football tailgate tomorrow!

5. Gorgeous Chili! I haven’t had regular meat chili in years! I prefer vegetarian! Lovely to meet Ashley too!

Me too actually! I haven’t had veggie chili in forever, I completely forgot how much I love it, the chopped veggies and beans are surprisingly so hearty in this, love it!

6. Oh wow this chilli looks fantastic :D
    And I love meeting health genius Ashley!

7. This is my first time visiting your blog and I really enjoy browsing through all your delicious cooking and baking.

Now following you at Twitter and Pinterest and Like you too at Facebook :D

Thanks Zoe! You’re too sweet! I just checked out yours too, can’t wait to hunt through the rest of your recipes too!

8. Fabulous recipe! Great for football.

9. Thank you for your kind words and stopping by! I love love love your blog. That skinny pumpkin choc chip bread is calling me name!

Aw thanks Andrea! I’m all about that pumpkin bread… Mmm! So excited for fall flavors :)

So excited to connect with you!! Love your blog too! Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend!!

10. This chili looks fantastic. I hate to say it but I really do not like beans (something about the texture) so I am trying to figure out a way to incorporate them into chili….maybe mash them? anyways love the addition of the zucchini-that is something that I am going to have to include! Nice meeting Ashley!

Hahaha ok I’m kinda with you too – I’m usually a big bean girl. You could probably mash them? It would just thicken the chili even more, might actually be really good!

11. I can’t wait to make this! Sounds amazing :)

12. This is such a beautiful post! I live in Greece and last winter I and my husband started controlling our weight with the help of a dietitian. Food makes a big difference in ones health and weight. I love your veg chili! perfect for the cooler days we are having right now!

Thanks Katerina! Chili really is so perfect for cooler weather : ) And food definitely makes a gigantic difference in your health, I can tell that I feel sooo much better when I’m good to my body, its so fun to Ashley helping me with these posts so I can share all her nutrition knowledge w/you!

13. Well, we are definitely having Chili weather in Chicago now, and your vegetarian chili is perfect to warm us up.
    Nice to meet Ashley, too.

But nice weather today :) Hasn’t this weekend been beautiful?? If it stays this nice I’m hoping to get up to Lake Geneva one last time later in the week before its gets too cold!

14. This Chili sounds amazing…Just in time for the fall days ahead!

15. such a great meal for a fall day, love it!

16. this recipe looks delicious ! what are the measurements for one serving ??

17. I meant for one serving size like is it one cup, etc ???