Buffalo Chicken Chili

Tomorrow’s my first official tailgate of the football season and I am SO excited!

A whole bunch of us are heading to the Notre Dame v. Michigan game at Notre Dame in the morning (some as early as 6:30am. Yikes! Definitely not my car…). It’s going to be a lot of fun – lots of people, lots of food, …and lots of rain! (Boo on the rain reports! I really hope weatherchannel.com is lying)

Only problem…

I didn’t go to Michigan. Or Notre Dame. I went to University of Illinois.

And I feel like such ‘the other woman‘ right now…! Like I should be wearing big sunglasses and a black scarf around my head, using a disposable cell phone and lying about my name.

Lucky for me all three schools’ colors are blue! So guess what I will be wearing and totally blending in guilt-free… blue! And lets be serious – its really just about the tailgate anyways. And the food.

I love love love tailgating food! Hotdogs, Fritos, chili, pasta salads, cookies – basically anything that requires a handful of tums immediately after consuming. And then washed down with a cold beer :)

Needless to say I’m super excited for tomorrow and even more excited for everyone to try my Buffalo Chicken Chili I’m bringing with!

I loved my Vegetarian Chili recipe from Monday, but I really love this recipe! This is a new favorite in my house – even my brother (who only only eats red meat) couldn’t get enough of this recipe!

The balance of spices, heat, vegetables, and ground chicken is perfect! I call this “Buffalo” chili because the spices I use are also used for buffalo wings (love my Frank’s Red Hot!). But don’t be thrown off by the title – this does not taste like a chicken wing. It tastes even better! The subtle buffalo flavor makes this a perfect chili to sprinkle with blue cheese or cheddar and even better with some tortilla chips.

Plus its great for a tailgate! I’m making it this afternoon and refrigerating it over night. Then all I have to do tomorrow is keep it over ice in a cooler while we drive to the game – and heat it in a pot over the grill once we get there. To keep it warm all day long I’m going to put it in a crockpot after its been heated.

Also this recipe is a totally guilt-free tailgating choice! Low fat, high protein, and lower cal - this is a great option when you’re surrounded by high fat foods (totally delicious, don’t get me wrong!)  like hamburgers, nachos, and brownies. Its all about moderation – so eat the brownie, but have some chili for your main dish! Your waistline will thank you later.

Nutrition Information (per serving); Calories: 174, Fat: 8, Protein: 20

Comments

1. this is awesome….buffalo chicken is awesome, think I am addicted to the hot sauce! I LOVE tailgating too, not because I get to watch a game, but because I get to eat, drink and socialize :) Have a great weekend!!

2. I love chili in the Fall. Just so comforting isn’t it?!

3. So true. On the occasions where I’ve been dragged to sports games I make the best of the situation in the only way I can see–stuffing my face full of all the food!

I NEED to make some of this for Michael!!!!

hahah!! Same.. I spent half the tailgate huddled over the cookie tray… its a problem. Especially when you’re drinking beer. Beer + too many cookies – not so good after a while… :)

4. My husband will be jealous! He’s a huge Michigan fan :) And this chili is awesome looking. Had to pin it so that in December I can make it, enter it into our church’s chili contest, and then all the glory to “Whipped”!!

haha aw fun!!! I’ve never entered any contests before, I think that would be so fun.. I need to hunt around and see what my town has! The game was a lot of fun too :) Michigan didn’t play so well but it was so great to see my little brother and everyone tailgating!

5. Looks delicious! I’d be happy to eat that. Have a great time!

6. Hope you have an awesome time my friend :D
    And loving this chilli, my brother will devour it!

7. Wow! This chili sounds so good. This is definitely going on my football menu soon. Have fun tailgating!

8. I hope you cheered for Michigan. Games like that are so much fun even if you aren’t really going for a certain team! This chili sounds fantastic. Perfect for football.

Haha I did :) My little brother would’ve disowned me if I rooted for Notre Dame. Too bad we played horribly though! Not a pretty game for Mich

9. I went to U of I, too! And I live 45 minutes from South Bend, so everyone around was going nuts about that game. Sadly, our team lost…bad :(

Up side: this chili looks SO good! I can’t wait to make it!!!

Woo! Go Illini :) I think I’m heading back for the first time since graduation in a few weeks for the homecoming game, so curious to see how campus has changed!

10. Hope you had a great time at the game! this sounds like perfect tailgating food!

11. I hope your first tailgate was fun!! This looks awesome!!

It was so fun! Minus the crazy rain, it was literally just pouring into my chili bowl! Turned into a perfect day though : ) Love tailgating!

12. I like to “kind” to my waistline. Your low fat and cal buffalo chicken chilli is great. Hope the extra chilli in this dish will also increase my metabolism and burn more fat and energy :D

Thanks Zoe! Chicken chili is definitely a good way to if you’re looking for a healthier chili recipe :) You could even bump up the amount of veggies and decrease the meat a bit if you wanted to cut calories even more

13. Ahh, hope you had fun at the tailgate! I’m sure everyone loved this chili. I definitely need to try this one, since I LOVE buffalo anything!

Me too! I could just about drink Frank’s Red Hot… and thanks :) The tailgate was a ton of fun, Mich played horribly but everyone had a great time!

14. I love this twist on chili! It sounds perfect for a tailgate!

15. PERFECT tailgate idea!!! My dad was at ND when I was born, so I grew up rooting for the Irish. Always fun to see a game in South Bend :) I’m going to my first tailgate this coming weekend…bringing desserts, though!

hope you’re having fun at your tailgate this weekend Liz!! I don’t know how it is by you but is absolutely PERFECT tailgating weather today by me :) And haha sorry – couldn’t root for the Irish! Even though you guys beat us, ugly ugly Mich game!

16. I definitely have to try this!!!!

17. I just made this for my family and they ate it up! My 4 year old had 3 bowls!! It was sooo good i cant wait to eat it again tomorrow!

I’m so glad your family enjoyed my chili!! Your comment just made my day! I made it again today for a group of high school students :) Always a hit!

18. It’s looking like I am trying this recipe this weekend! I don’t know that I’ve ever had carrots in Chili before, but it sounds like an incredible recipe!

Its works really well w/the buffalo flavor :) And gives a great texture! DId you get a chance to try it this weekend?

19. Thank you so much for this recipe! I love chilli but can find some of them to be really heavy and calorie-laden, so thank you! I can’t wait to make it! Have a great weekend! :-)

Aw I hope you like this! Its a family favorite – so so simple to make! The kids ate it up like crazy at my cooking demo on Fri :)

20. I-L-L

Ok I didnt exactly go to U of I but my brother and most of my friends did so we are pretty much an orange and blue family, Except for my boyfriend who is an IU grad so during bball season they have become my team too! I’m so disloyal : )

Chili looks awesome! Making it with turkey because I don’t have chicken.

I do that all the time :) Turkey works great! Its a little bit drier but still really yummy! Haha and count it. You’re orange and blue :)

1. [...] read more, and for the full recipe, check out her blog and be sure to upload your latest food-related obsessions with us in the YumSugar Community. If [...]

2. [...] going to be teaching the kids all about nutrition and  healthy cooking with a live demo of my Buffalo Chicken Chili. Absolutely cannot wait! Will definitely be posting all about it later this week with a YouTube [...]