Ok guys, these tacos ROCK.
And not like Tom Cruise in Rock of Ages. These are the Led Zepelin of tacos. Black Dog meets Taco Bell…. meets vegan.
And they are not messing around. These sweet potato tacos are so so good! …..
And so so in season!
Today’s post is all about eating in season and letting fall’s produce shine! Don’t let the sweet potatoes scare you off in these tacos – those little gems are spiced up with chili powder and cumin and are fantastic with the cool creamy basil lime sauce and savory caramelized onions and black beans.
Trying to cook around seasonal vegetables is the best time for thinking outside of the box! We all complain about getting stuck in the chicken dinner rut… so look towards falls produce for some inspiration. This season’s hearty vegetables make perfect bases for filling vegetarian main dishes.
So what’s in season, right?
I mean.. we know not blueberries. I swear they were $6 for 1/2 pint the other day at the grocery store…. noooo thank you!
For an even more extensive list of what’s in season check out both these links below:
So this post’s challenge is to get a seasonal fruit or vegetable into at least two meals every day. Have an apple at lunch, then roast some squash with dinner? Throw cranberries in your salad or mushrooms into your omelet. Easy-peasy guys! Not only is it cheaper (hey $6 blueberries!) its delicious! And good for momma Earth! I’ve got plenty more seasonal recipes to come! Yay for fall!!
Yields 6 servings
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 lb sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Black Beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (or regular dairy sour cream)
- 1/2 cup mayo made with olive oil (or reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon soy milk (or regular)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- avocado, chopped
- extra fresh basil, chopped
- shredded cabbage
- 6 (6-inch) whole grain tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently toss chopped sweet potato, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, on a baking sheet until evenly coated. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the black bean mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and salt and sauté for one more minute. Stir in black beans and continue to cook until beans are heated through. Remove from heat and set aside to make the basil-lime cream.
- In a medium bowl combine sour cream, mayonaise, soy milk, lime juice, basil and salt. Mix until smooth. Refrigerate until using.
- Assemble the tacos – briefly heat tortillas in microwave for 10-15 seconds. Layer bean mixture, sweet potatoes, chopped avocado, and optional cabbage. Drizzle with basil-lime sauce.
Nutrition Information (1 taco plus 2 tablespoons sauce); Calories: 265, Fat: 8.5 grams, Protein: 9 grams