Happy Day After Thanksgiving! I hope you all had a fabulous holiday!
Thanksgiving weekend is one of my absolute favorite times of the year. Wednesday literally kicks off a full 5 day marathon of yummy food, movie binging, more yummy food, and Christmas decorating festivities. We just cut down our tree (Um.. yes.. you heard me. CUT down our tree. Made Santa proud. Or scared? Either one.) this morning and my mom and I are going to finish hanging the garland tonight.
So I wanted to show you pics of Thanksgiving… all our hard work… pumpkin pie… mashed potatoes… stuffing.. but I forgot to take pictures until literally just after we ate! So the best you’re going to get is one of my mom and I. In black and white because there was definitely no makeup going on after the turkey trot in the morning and cooking all day!
And my pretty pie! My friend helped me bake all day on Wednesday and gets all the cred for the decor!
But enough of Thanksgiving. Psh. Lets talk leftovers.
Now don’t get me wrong. I LOVE leftovers. Mashed potatoes, veggie casseroles, cranberry sauce…all good stuff. But after a week of prepping recipes and a month of testing out turkey day dishes I’m seriously craving something that doesn’t involve sage. rosemary. or a baking dish.
I want something totally different – spicy, bright, fresh! And easy… seriously easy. I just cooked for 12 hours yesterday and the most gourmet I’m about to get tonight is opening up a can of black beans.
These Leftover Turkey Quesadillas are a great way to throw together a bunch of leftover ingredients and perk them up with a creamy cumin avocado dip. And when you’re done, this avocado dip kicks butt with some salty tortilla chips!
Hoping you all had a great holiday!
Yields 4 servings
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 cups shredded turkey
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat Chobani Greek Yogurt
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup red chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
4 whole grain tortillas
- Make the Avocado Dip – Combine avocado, greek yogurt, garlic, red onion, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a medium large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add in the black beans and garlic and saute until the beans are heated through, 2-3 minutes. Add in shredded chicken and salt and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Top one half of a tortilla with 1/4 of the chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Gently fold quesadilla in half. Transfer to skillet and cook 2 minutes on one side, or until golden brown. Flip, and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut each quesadilla into thirds and enjoy with avocado dip!