Happy day-after Christmas! I hope you all had a great holiday!
We had a great Christmas this year. Lots family, lots of friends, and way too much food!
Me and my (gorgeous!) younger cousins opening gifts last night!
As usual – I went a little nuts-o on the Christmas baking. 8 kinds of cookies… a caramel chocolate ganache tart, and a chocolate cream pie. NBG. Its turned into more of a sport than anything. Its not really about sharing love…carefully manicured sugar cookies.. or seeing my brothers smile over their favorite brownie. Let’s get this straight – Its about seeing how many different types of cookies I can jam into a 24 hour period. I wore my running shoes with my apron.
Sorry! I know the pics are a little crummy, all courtesy of my iPhone :)
But as Christmas winds down we have 1 more blow-out night to prep for…New Years Eve! And if the word ‘prep’ just gave you mild heartburn after all the Christmas feast planning, you have nothing to worry about! These Cheesy Italian Crostini are 10- minute, make-ahead, little melty cheesy slices of YUM.
My mom has been making these since she was my age and they are family favorite! To the point that I had to beg her to let me post her secret recipe on the blog. Thank you mom! Well, almost secret recipe.. I had to do a little making over to get these to look just as pretty on the plate as they do on our hips :)
These are divine! The perfect savory appetizer. Ooey gooey melty parmesan and mozzarella cheese with a hint of oregano and garlic, finished with a few slices of green onion and crumbled bacon. Gooey. Salty. Creamy. Crunchy. SO. so. so… so good!
The cheese mixture can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also slice the bread ahead of time and freeze.
Yields 15 servings
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 strip cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 whole grain baguette (enough for 15 slices), sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella, parmesan, crumbled bacon, green onion, oregano, and garlic. Add mayonnaise and stir until combined.
- Spoon mixture onto sliced bread and bake for 6-7 minutes, or until melted and the edges of cheese just barely show golden brown.
- Serve immediately.