Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – Gluten Free & Dairy Free

So originally I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe! The other night I was just baking for fun… because secretly I am an 85 year old grandma trapped in the body of a 25 year old. I also go to bed by 10:30. And drink tea… omyGod! Sounds so much worse when I type it out….

I have been on a mission for the past year to find the absolute best Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cookie recipe! Not even for the blog, but just because I have been dying for a delicious cookie that I can eat without all my intolerances going crazy on me! And for those of you that try to bake dairy free and/or gluten free you know there can be some pretty nasty recipes out there. Gluten free cookies usually have that kind of ‘off’ after taste? You know what I’m talking about? They can get chalky… crumbly…weirdly chewy (not in a good way). And vegan butters can sometimes give baked goods this distinct (fish oily? how would you describe it??) taste.

But this new cookie recipe has NONE of the above! Omygoodness – SO yummy! Just had another after breakfast… for research purposes obviously… :)

These little lovelies are thick and chewy (in a good way!), with plenty of chocolate chips, and that smooth brown sugary butter flavor we all crave from the infamous Tollhouse recipe.

But before I let you loose on the recipe, I want to give you a few tips – these will make such a difference in your cookies!

1. Measure your dry ingredients by weight on a kitchen scale. I’m serious! If you’re looking at this post like “what is a kitchen scale”…go to Target and grab a kitchen scale. Gluten free baking can be super finicky, its a very precise type of baking. If you measure by weight you know every single time that you added the correct amount of ingredients. An extra tablespoon of arrowroot can make a pretty big difference. I also measure when I’m making bread doughs, pizzas, etc. Definitely comes in handy.
  2. This recipe calls for refrigerating the dough - do not skip this step. This is what helps make the cookies so thick and chewy. The refrigeration tenderizes the dough and firms it up.
  3. You can substitute any kind of dairy free milk you like for the soy milk – almond milk, rice milk, lactose free milk, etc. I just prefer soy milk, its all personal preference!
  4. And for those of you without dairy intolerance – feel free to sub in equal amounts of regular butter and dairy milk for the vegan margarine and soy milk.

cookiesgf

This recipe is a slight adaption on the fabulous Gluten Free cookies by Alton Brown from the Food Network

Comments

1. I love you. I’m an old lady too. Let’s watch TV and bake then go to bed early together, ok?

…like in a slumber party way. you know what I mean *sigh*

AHHH COOKIES! THEY LOOK AMAZING! I cannot believe these are GF&DF!

2. I am glad you found a cookie recipe you like. Every girl needs cookies. 10:30pm is a late night for me; it’s a miracle if I make it past 9:30 :)

3. Mmm these look yummy.

4. I love cookie recipes and trying them out to find ones that I really love. Chewy is my fav!

5. Wow. These look AH-MAZING!!!!!!

Arantha

6. Even though I am not GF or DF, I know I’d enjoy these. They look wonderful!

7. God these cookies are stunning :D

8. I know what you mean about gluten-free cookies and baked goods in general tasting funky. These look so good! When I make gluten-free cookie dough, I bake just a few at a time in my toaster oven and keep the dough in the refrigerator or freezer.

That’s what I should have done! I had almost 50 GF cookies floating around the house by the end… do you ever freeze them once they’ve been baked? Are they any good?

9. These look yummy! I have a little boy with corn allergies, any idea if I could substitute cornstarch for tapioca starch? Or any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Mary! Definitely, you can swap in tapioca or potato starch :) Just make sure to weigh your ingredients – swap in 1 1/4 ounces tapioca or potato for the cornstarch, if you go by the 1/4 cup you’re not going to end up with the right amount. Your cookies should be delicious! Just maybe a little bit denser w/out the cornstarch.

10. Thanks a bunch!

11. if you have egg allergy what would you use in place of the eggs

Hi Suzanne! Commercial egg replacer (Ener-G) is usually the best substitute for cookies, use 1 1/2 tsp for 1 egg + 1/2 tsp for the yolk, but you could also try subbing in applesauce or make a ground flax seed ‘egg’ w/ by whisking 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 2 tablespoons warm water until creamy. Let me know if you have any other questions!

12. These look awesome Kristina! My nana has Celiac so she’s GF and would LOVE THESE!! I’ll have to send this over to her ASAP :D

13. These cookies look amazing! You can’t even tell by looking at them that they are gluten free :)

14. these look sooooo delicious Kristina! I can’t believe that are gluten free AND dairy-free!

15. They look perfect! I will send my GF girlfriend here…she’s been searching for a wonderful cookie recipe :)

Thanks Liz! They were really yummy :) I sent them to my GF friend too, she’s always dying for new baking recipes!

16. I think a chocolate chip cookie craving is spreading online! lol I’ve seen several recent blog post with chocolate chip cookies lately…including my own last week! They are pretty amazing though so I can certainly see why! I’m loving that these are gluten free and dairy free!

haha I think its because enough time has passed now since the holidays that cookies start sounding good again :)

17. LOL. I think if I weren`t in college, I`ll go to bed early too. And how awesome that you were able to find a gluten & dairy free recipe that’s delicious!! I would seriously try making, but I don`t have many of the ingredients on hand! But, I`m definitely saving this for all of my diary-free friends. Hehe.

18. Your list of ingredients calls for Arrowroot, but the instructions list Tapioca Flour instead. I know the two are interchangable, but I’m curious if you have a preference for one over the other.

Oops! Thank you so much for catching that Courtney! I just updated the recipe, I used arrowroot*, not tapioca flour in these cookies. They’re typically interchangeable, I like the crumb you get w/arrowroot in these, if you use regular milk instead of soy you might want to sub in tapioca instead – will be a better texture. And to answer your question :) I use arrowroot more than tapioca.

19. Kathy Nicole says:

Just a small question.. Don’t chocolate chips have dairy? Most chocolates contain milk I’m just wondering if you found a package with no dairy. Thanks!

Hi Kathy! It depends on the brand – ghiardelli semisweet doesn’t have dairy in the ingredient list but was processed on equipment that shares dairy, but theres enjoylifefoods, Chocolate dream baking chips, etc. You definitely don’t have to cross chocolate chips off ur list if you can’t have dairy :)

20. Would almond milk work instead of soy?

Definitely Amber! The only difference is you may have a little bit of an extra almond flavor

21. Kathy Nicole says:

Thanks girl<3!!

22. What would you remove if you just use a Gluten-Free multi purpose flour? Like King Arthur’s ? I don’t have all those items, just the GF flour….

23. I made these cookies for my daughter last weekend, they were AWESOME!! We recently discovered that she cannot have gluten or dairy and I was so happy to find this recipe. Baking without dairy or gluten can be tricky and the results aren’t always so tasty! THANK YOU!!

I’m so happy your daughter enjoyed these Trish!! And I know, it can definitely be hard to find good GF & Dairy free recipes – especially baking! Glad I could help a bit :) I’ll try and get some more allergen free baking recipes up soon!

24. These look AMAZING…and not too difficult! I think my boys would love helping me make them!! :)

25. These look delicious! I was just about to make some when I realized I’m out of cornstarch! I was wondering if I could substitute tapioca or arrowroot and still get the same results?

26. Ggabriel says:

These looks delish! Can I substitute the brown rice flour with white rice flour? Thanks!!

27. Hi, i’m 11 and me and my mum are making these awesome cookies for my step-dad who is gluten intolerant! Thanks for the great recipies I love your blog and I love baking! : ) THANKS!

Hi Laura! So excited you’re trying my cookies! I hope your step-dad loves them :) You’ll have to let me know how it goes!

28. My son and I made these, following the recipe very closely as I’ve had poor results with gluten free baking in the past. I am not getting your results and I’m wondering what I may have done wrong. After 8 minutes of baking at the proper temperature, they are spread OUT all over the place and running into one another. After 2 minutes of cooling in the pan, I put them on the rack and they fell to pieces onto the counter beneath. Help!

Hi Teresa! I’m so sorry you’re running into trouble with these – I’m not sure why yours are spreading like that, are you refrigerating for the full hour? If yes, then try refrigerating overnight and see if that helps. Also, are you measuring the ingredients exactly? If you don’t have enough cornstarch or other binding agents you cookies can fall flat. Lastly, when’s the last time you bought new baking soda? If its been open a while it may have expired. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more suggestions! Good luck :)

29. I’m hoping to make these today, was just wondering if I could adapt the recipe to add different flavours like peanut butter? or cinnamon? Wish me luck!!

Sorry if Im too late getting back to you! You can definitely play around with these and add whatever flavors you like, good luck!

30. Vithyah says:

Hi there, i was wanting to try this amazing recipe but can’t seem to find vegan butter from region and.The thing is i’m allergic to dairy and so u get the idea.So any way of which i can substitute for the vegan butter maybe grape seed oil.Possibly?? Thanks again for this amazing entry.

Yup! You can try substituting in your favorite oil, just cut back a bit – like 7/8 cup oil for every 1 cup butter. Good luck!

31. Hi. I’m looking forward to making these for a friend with MANY food allergies, including soy, which is found in vegan butter. Would coconut oil work?

32. Is there a way to make it Sugar free? like using honey or maple syrup? I am afraid if I use liquid to replace dry sugar it may change the texture of the cookie or things like. I think the little bit sugar in the chocolate chips should be fine but I worry my little boy can’t handle the 1/4 cup sugar very well…thanks for sharing!

You can swap in maple syrup or honey but it will definitely alter the flavor and texture. You’ll have to play around with proportions – you cannot swap in honey/maple syrup 1:1 to sugar, they have different sweetnesses and moisture. Heres a site to check out to start to experiment http://www.thatcherssugarhouse.com/cooking.htm. Good luck!! Let me know how it turns out, I hope your little boy enjoys them! :)

33. Your recipe sounds good, except I’m allergic to corn, soy, potato (just to name a few) and have issues with xanthan gum due to typical from corn or soy derivative. The other option of guar gum also my body doesn’t like either. Is there any substitutes I can make?

34. Just baked a batch of these and Oh my god best cookie recipe ever! I even prefer over any other normal cookies i’ve baked! Thanks

35. Michelle says:

Can I use 2 percent milk instead of soy milk?

1. […] Whipped Baking – If you’re gluten and dairy free, Kristina’s recipe has you covered. […]