Woo! It’s just about a week till’ Super Bowl Sunday! Bring on the beer, chili, brownies, and don’t forget the Tums! I LOVE football parties. Everything about them.
Ok – I’m so sorry. I really wanted to come up with some super witty first paragraph about the game – maybe some awesome insightful joke on who’s going to win. Only when I sat down to type I realized that I needed to google “who is in Superbowl 2013″…
But knew that Beyonce was the halftime show. Duh.
It was kind of like watching George Stephanoplis do a Good Morning America story on Toddler’s and Tiaras.
So instead, Im just going to say that I LOVE Superbowl parties! I’m totally down with watching some football, love tailgating, the food, the whole shebang – you just won’t catch me TiVo-ing Monday night football. I will be watching Revenge.
But on to the really important things! Like these kick butt Cheesy Pizza Pockets! I may not know football but I know football food.
These are crazy easy to make – store bought pizza dough and sauce lets these come together in just 15 minutes. You can also make them ahead, just refrigerate on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap until you pop them in the oven.
But the secret to these isn’t how easy they are – its how we dress them up! Store bought doughs are a perfect canvas for building your own recipes. To give these a little pop, I made my own garlic olive oil (takes 5 minutes!), brushed it over the dough and sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan. It definitely elevates a simple recipe! I stuffed my pizza pockets with lean turkey sausage and cheese, but you can definitely tailor your own to whatever you like – throw in spinach, sautéed mushrooms, a combo of mozzarella and provolone cheeses, or anything else you can think of. Just make sure you don’t overstuff the pockets or they will rip or burst in the oven!
I’ll be stalking Pinterest and the web for all sorts of other fun party food ideas! Will be a very yummy next week!
Cheesy Pizza Pockets
Yields about 20 servings
- 1 can refrigerated thin crust pizza dough (I used Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 2 Lean Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage links, cooked
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the garlic oil to brush over pizza pockets – Combine olive oil and garlic clove in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat. Cook 5 minutes, the garlic should brown all over. Remove from heat and discard garlic.
- Make the Pizza Pockets – Roll out pizza dough to a 12×15 inch rectangle (depending on which store bought dough you purchased, you may need to adjust for thickness). Cut dough into 3×3 inch squares – you should end up with 20 even pieces. Place on a cookie sheet, spacing at least an inch between.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon pizza sauce onto half of each square, dividing in half by making two triangles – one with sauce and one without. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons crumbled sausage over the sauce, followed by 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese. Gently close the triangle of pizza dough over the filling and crimp edges with a fork or your fingers to secure the sides. Brush a light coat of olive oil over each finished pizza pocket. Sprinkle about `1/2 teaspoon parmesan over the oil. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per pizza pocket); Calories: 94, Fat: 5 grams