Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you all had fabulous weekends! How many of you are just starting your work week today?? And be honest…
I was watching the news yesterday morning and they said 1.5 million Americans called in sick last year the day after the Super Bowl… which is HILARIOUS. Another 4.4 million came in late. I think this is another instance where our forefathers didn’t have the foresight to predict the importance of Budweiser, chili, and chicken wings on our national allegiance ….plus they were better equipped to deal with hangovers in 1787. Those were the days of moonshine and no McDonalds McMuffins for the morning after. Ben Franklin in 2013 would drain a keg and solve our natural energy crisis.
But they were missing one thing back in the 1800s… Super Bowl Commercials. And Beyonce. That Taco Bell “Viva Young” commercial was TOO funny! I hope when I’m that age I can still rock a black unitard like Beyonce and stomach a 4am taco bell run w/my best friend Phyllis from Sunnyside Nursing Home.. so to brighten your first day (I won’t tell!) back to work, here’s my favorite two commercials from Sunday!
But all of this talk about Taco Bell, Doritos, and fast food commercials has got me craving some comfort American food like crazy! All I’ve wanted this week is a big burger, fries, and a gigantic vat of ketchup. This Southwest Turkey Bacon Burger with Avocado Spread was the absolute answer to my drive-thru cravings! Plus its sooo much healthier (and delicious!) than giving in to a Big Mac – low fat lean turkey, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and a creamy avocado spread take this burger over the top.
I am OBSESSED with this burger guys! The crunch of the bacon with the creamy avocado and spicy burger are so. freaking. yummy.
Southwest Turkey Bacon Burgers with Avocado Spread
Yields 4 burgers
For the Burgers
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Avocado Spread
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream (or regular dairy low-fat sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns (or gluten free buns)
- 3 slices cooked lean turkey bacon
- 4 thick slices tomato
- 4 romaine lettuce slices
- Make the Avocado Spread – Combine avocado, sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, and salt, in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the Burgers – In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mix well (or a spoon).
- Divide burger mixture into four even portions and form into 1/2 inch thick patties. Spray a grill pan with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat (OR use an outdoor grill). Cook burgers about 3 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Assemble the Burgers – Top the bottom of each bun with one slice tomato, followed by the lettuce, burger, and turkey bacon. Spread the top of each bun with about 1 tablespoon avocado spread to finish the burger.
Burger patty recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine