It is snowy and cold in the best ever way possible today.
I’m tucked inside with nothing to do; no way to drive on the roads, huddled in last night’s pjs surrounded by cookbooks. I’m wrapping up a website this week so I’ve been graciously working from home, far from my snow boots and North Face. I really thought I hit my max on snow this year but the whole not having to commute thing is giving me a new zen in the blizzard.
Only don’t push it blizzard. This is it. The big send off. If we meet again I might not be so nice.
We’re climbing past 6 inches!
So pretty in the woods
I couldn’t resist! I think she senses that I’m dog sitting another pup next week… she’s been jealously stalking me all day.
So the only thing that could make the day even cozier is a big bowl of comfort food – warm Chicken Fried Rice! YUM. This is serious happy food for about a zillion and one reasons; if you already have cold rice (leftover takeout??), you can pull this together in 20 minutes. If you don’t – super simple; make your rice the night before and refrigerate overnight. In a pinch? Refrigerate until cold, ideally at least 2 hours. You want cold dry rice so it doesn’t get mushy when you add it to the stir fry.
This lower cal fried rice is packed with nutrient dense veggies – red peppers, carrots, broccoli, and peas + whole grain rice goodness and immune boosting ginger! Homemade takeout that saves you $ and calories: win-win guys!
Plus, leftovers are delish. I don’t even reheat it – right out of the fridge guys. I swear its good even when its not 2 am on a Saturday night.
We’re winding down to the last nasty days of winter so lets sneak in all the yummy comfort we can!
Yields 6 servings
- 2 Tbs. + 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup peeled, finely diced broccoli stems (from about 1-1/4 lb. broccoli)
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 4 green onions (both white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups very cold cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken breast (check for GF*)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce (gluten free* soy sauce for GF)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced broccoli, carrots, and red bell pepper. Saute 3-5 minutes or until they just begin to soften. Add frozen peas and cook 1 minute until thawed. Stir in green onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook an additional minute. Add brown rice and rotisserie chicken and cook, stirring until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Make a 3-inch well in the center of the skillet, add remaining 1 tsp oil followed by egg. Cook, stirring, until the egg is almost scrambled. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture. Stir in soy sauce and serve.