Sorry, I feel like I’ve been seriously cheating on you all lately. I’ve been cooking, baking, and cooking obnoxiously more (as usual) but instead of sharing it with you all I have been EATING it all! Oops.
Life’s been crazy busy lately so I’ve had absolutely no time to to take pretty pics and write about it. Only enough time to shove it in my own mouth. Things are going to start settling down though next week so get ready for some full force Whipped recipes!
I’ve been slowly getting all my stuff together for my new apart and it is taking for-ev-er to organize my life. Mainly because organizing has revolved around couponing… so things don’t get checked off until Bed Bath & Beyond decides to give me another 20% off discount in my Martha Stewart Magazine. I’m also now a full-time mom to an adorable little morkie who reminds he needs to pee every 15 minutes. He is the absolute CUTEST little guy in the world. Plus my new job starts in two weeks and I’ve started selling cakes as a little side business :) Woo! All fun stuff!!
So now to these fabulous Blueberry Sugar Shortcakes with Mango Compote. I’m cheating again…I made these last year for Memorial Day and I absolutely had to share the recipe again! These are too too good. They’re kinda big though for a one person dessert so feel free to only serve one shortcake with the whipped cream and mangoes instead of sandwiching two.
These shortcakes are perfectly sweet with fresh blueberries and this fantastic crunch on top from a sprinkle of sanding sugar before going into the oven. The middle is really all about the fresh mangoes – try and get your hands on the best ripe mangoes. If you can’t find any, definitely feel free to substitute in any fruit you like – strawberries, peaches, apricots – whatever you like.
If I don’t get back to the blog before this weekend, have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend guys!!
Fresh Blueberry Shortcakes with Mango Compote
Yields 6 shortcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1 medium ripe mango, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream for topping plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and the 1/3 cup sugar. Gently stir in blueberries. Add the 1 1/3 cups whipping cream, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and gently pat each into 2-inch diameter circles and place 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For mango compote, combine mango slices and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Beat cream on medium-high until it begins to thicken; add sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, top one shortcake with mango compote, spoonful of whipped cream, and top off with another shortcake.