So it might have been 50 and rainy today; the Memorial Day gods may have been laughing at us as we ducked in and out of the patio trying to grill our bbq chicken, but I feel like summer guys! I just got home from one of those genius self serve frozen yogurt joints where they let you pick from an endless buffet of candy, chocolate, and all things sugar, and I feel like it could be sunny and 80′s. Or like I may be suffering from a mild sugar coma. Summer doesn’t start when the pool opens, it starts with a lazy weekend and frozen yogurt.
I rolled up in a shirt I may or may not have slept in last night… no makeup, gym shoes from 2005…The little 7 year old girl in line behind me could have lent me her stick on earrings and I could have passed for 12. Summer is here.
Which is why I am SO excited to share this Spicy Chicken with Summer Vegetable Salad! I wish I could take credit for the chicken rub but I found it in Cooking Light. The flavor is FABULOUS. And I mean it. The original recipe was for the grill, but I know a lot of us in apartments don’t’ have access to one so I decided to adapt the recipe for an indoor grill pan. If you have a grill – grill everything! If you don’t – fire up your stove top, this is delishhhhhh.
You can get this on the table in 30 minutes flat. Plus leftover chicken is awesome for fajitas, quesadillas, and sandwiches the rest of the week. You can pick any kind of seasonal veggies for the salad, but I really love the combination of the cool avocado and sweet corn with the spicy chicken. Add some low fat ranch dressing or my vegan creamy basil lime sauce (remember this from my sweet potato tacos??) and you’ve got a super quick super yummy meal.
Yay for short work weeks! Have a great one guys!!
Yields 4 servings
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 4 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ears yellow corn, shucked
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup mixed baby heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 1 sliced peeled ripe avocado
- low fat ranch dressing (optional), OR creamy basil lime sauce (vegan)
- Combine oil, onion powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and chipotle; rub evenly over chicken.
- Lightly coat a grill pan with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 8 minutes or until done.
- Wrap corn in a lightly damp paper towel, place in a microwave safe dish and microwave 2 minutes (shortcut route to cooking corn!). Let sit until cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels from cob.
- Slice chicken. Arrange 1 breast on each of 4 plates. Evenly distribute tomatoes, corn, avocado, and red onion among the plates. Either sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt and serve plain or drizzle with your choice of low fat ranch dressing or basil lime dressing.