Double Chocolate Vegan Brownies

vegnabbrownie14Woo woo!! Tomorrow is moving day into my new apartment for the summer!! I’m knee deep in boxes of kitchen equipment, high heels, and procrastinated laundry…

Butttttinstead of boring you all with my newfound revelations of a serious hoarding problem and a collection of old battered white tank tops with holes big enough to prove that I actually don’t know how to use a washing machine….

Let’s focus on these FABULOUS Double Chocolate Brownies!

vegnabbrownie16

I am absolutely so proud of (and addicted to!) this recipe. This was a labor of love starting almost a year ago with a mission to find my all-time favorite vegan brownie recipe. Vegan brownie recipes are notorious for being a big pain in the butt to create. The thing that makes really delicious rich and fudgy brownies… so rich and fudgy… are EGGS. So out go the eggs for the vegan version and in comes a noble quest for the perfect egg substitution.

I’ve tried uncountable vegan chef’s recipes – from well knowns to off the grid amazon orders – and none have been even comparably as good as this one. I adapted a version from Sticky Fingers’ Sweets and I am in love.

veganbrownie10-680x1024

Think rich, smooth, fudgy, chocolatey… absolutely everything you want in a delicious brownie, without any of the eggs, dairy, or animal products. I don’t like saying the usual “no one will know these are vegan”… but seriously! No one will know.

The secret was not finding an egg substitute, but instead finding the right proportion of ingredients and baking powder to create a fudgy and smooth finish. Instead of relying on apple sauce of flax seed replacers, which can leave brownies with a funky texture and after taste, this recipe uses baking powder to get the the right rise and leavening.

So enjoy enjoy enjoy! I love these and I really hope you all do too! These aren’t just for the vegans :)

moreveganbrownie

signature1

Nutrition Information; Calories: 175, Fat: 8 grams

Comments

1. Allie M says:

Any suggestions on what I could use in place of coffee? I’m not a coffee drinker…open to vegan and non-vegan options!

Hi Allie! You can play around with whatever kind of liquid you like – add an equal amount of water, dairy or non-dairy milk. I think water might work best, the milk flavor might be too strong? Have fun with it! Basically you just need an equal amount of liquid to sub in for the coffee :) Good luck and let me know how it goes!

• These are the best brownies I’ve made yet!! Thank you so much! I used coconut sugar and espresso. Perfect. These have a nice texture (I don’t like too fudgy) and perfect sweetness.

Of course! So happy you loved these too! Curious – did you use espresso powder or liquid espresso? Would cut time with espresso powder, want to snag our proportions :)

2. I ONLY eat fudgy brownies. Dry, cakey brownies just aren’t worth the calories. (Yes, I am a big brownie snob.) And these look amazing!! I’d never guess that you didn’t use eggs OR an egg substitute. Kitchen chemistry (and your delicious desserts) never ceases to amaze me!

3. I’ve never seen vegan brownies this pretty. In fact, you’re right – no one would know these are actually vegan brownies.

4. Oh my. These look incredible. I am always searching for a vegan/GF brownie recipe to knock my socks off. Surprisingly a lot of them have avocado, beans, etc. in them so I’m glad you didn’t go all healthy on me here and went for the full chocolate gooey punch.

Thanks Christine! I really wanted to keep these as true to a real brownie as possible :) And these would be super easy to swap GF too!

5. Eeeeee good luck with your move girly! Don’t get TOO comfortable though ;) I need my bestie in my city with meeeee!!

and omg omg omg. You did it. These brownies look amazing and I love that they don’t have anything strange in them! These look phenomenal, cannot believe they’re vegan. You smarty, you :P

6. Yum those look amazing delicious :)

7. Good luck with the move! That’ll be me in about a month…eep. Still haven’t started packing. OH well. ;-)

haha its ok – I definitely waited till the day before to really get into it :) And Im here!! Im here!! Let me know next time your dt and lets grab dinner or drinks!

8. These look awesome miss thing! I love brownies…they look so moist and delicious!

9. Wow, they look amazing!

Just the other day I posted a recipe for flour free, dairy (if you don’t count eggs) free, oil free brownies. I was wondering how to go about making them Vegan, and whilst I’m not sure that losing the eggs would be a good structural move for my recipe (on account of the fact it lacks any other binding agent), you’ve now intrigued me sufficiently to try and re-jig the recipe to make it a Vegan one. I like going on baking adventures :)

Haha this is a serious baking adventure… I had no idea how difficult vegan brownies were! Can’t wait to see yours when you’re done!! And those flour free dairy free ones sound fabulous, off to check it out right now girl!

10. Hi,

I’ve been looking for a vegan brownie recipe for a looooong time and yours looks just perfect! I cannot wait to try it out! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was wondering if you can recommend a substitute for the margarine? I don’t get that where I am.
    Also, I don’t have a microwave. Would it be OK to heat the chocolate/coffee mixture on the stove?

Hey Jenny! No problem – just swap in an additional 1/2 tablespoon oil for the margarine. And absolutely you can use the stove! Thats usually the preferred method (its harder to burn the chocolate this way), just carefully melt over a double boiler. Good luck!! You’ll have to let me know how it goes :)

11. I was a vegan for a brief moment in time and have been skeptical of vegan desserts ever since. BUT these look absolutely amazing! I love how much chocolate is in them…any dessert with that much chocolate has to be delicious! Congrats on the recipe and on your move!

12. Hey, I can’t wait to try this recipe they look absolutely gorgeous! Just a quick query though can you recommend a substitute for canola oil? It doesn’t seem to exist where I am and Google is giving me conflicting answers.

Hi Triona! You can substitute whichever kind of oil you can find around you – look for vegetable oil first. Otherwise, if you can’t get your hands on any oils you can play around with using all vegan margarine, good luck!

13. Wow, these look delicious!! Those teal napkins really make those fudgy bars pop! I am excited to try these. :)

14. Alexandra says:

My boyfriend found this recipe… these were delicious! Although after 30 minutes they were nowhere near done, more like 43-45 minutes until they weren’t wet inside anymore.

Sorry you had some trouble with the baking time! I just made them again last night and they were great by 30 min, different ovens vary in temp so its hard to know exactly, glad they worked out in the end though!!

15. I made these yesterday and they are absolutely wonderful!!!! I’m vegan and I have been trying different baking recipes lately, and these are by far the best vegan brownies I’ve come across. Heck, I’ld put them up against ANY babies. The coffee is the kick, I think. You don’t taste it, but it really ramps up the intensity of the chocolate.

One question – when are you supposed to add the coffee mixture? I alternated it with the flour mixture, ending with the four mixture, and it came out great. Thank you for a terrific recipe!

Omygosh THANK YOU Dianne! I fixed the recipe :) What you did works perfect. I added mine right after the oil, the recipe is now updated on the blog. So happy you enjoyed these even without the coffee step!!

16. These look fantastic! I can’t wait to make them. Do you think I can sub coconut oil for the vegan margarine?

17. Ouuuuu I love the idea of adding coffee to it! I can imagine it will really bring out a more profound chocolate flavor. Can’t wait to try it! I tend to bake more vegan than non vegan because I don’t always have fresh dairy/eggs etc on hand..I have collected many recipes over the years but haven’t seen the addition of coffee very often! I wanted to ask though if I could sub applesauce for the margarine? It’s not like your recipe is high in fat or anything, I just try to limit margarine consumption :) thanks for the recipe!

Definitely! There’s only a tablespoon in it the batter anyways – shouldn’t make a difference :) I just made these again last night, enjoy!!

18. I made your brownies yesterday and they are AMAZING! Thank you so much.

I have a vegan friend coming for dinner next week and have been experimenting with different vegan recipes, testing them on my guinea-pig, erm, boyfriend. He loved these, so that’s dessert sorted.

As a Brit, I did struggle to translate the measurements, since we tend to list ingredients by weight rather than volume – how much does 1/4 cup and two tablespoons of sugar actually weigh? I also wasn’t sure whether ‘all-purpose’ flour would be plain or self-raising. Oh well, I got there in the end and the result was well worth it! Off now to buy some measuring cups…

So happy you enjoyed my brownies!! 1/4 cup of sugar should be about 3 oz. And you want plain all-purpose flour :) hope this helps! I know it can get confusing switching between our two different measuring systems!!

19. Kristina, these brownies are amazing! They’re so fudgy, and even gooey! When I became a vegan, I thought I gave up brownies. Thanks to you, I didn’t!

Aw thanks so much Kristina! So happy you liked these too! And I know what you mean – it took for-ev-er to track down a good brownie recipe, its so hard to find a good vegan one :)

20. Can I use chocolate chips for the 1ounce finely chopped ingredient?

Definitely, just make sure its 1 ounce. I like to use bar baking chocolate because chocolate chips don’t always melt as well because of the additives in them that help them hold their ‘chip’ shape :) But this is such a small amount will not make a difference, enjoy Jess!!

21. My husband and have been vegans for nearly 2 years, and I have been on mission to find or create the perfect brownie recipe. Well my search is over. These are perfect just as they are. I didn’t make any changes other than they needed a few extra minutes in my oven. They made my day. Thank you!!!

22. Just made these today in prep for my daughter’s bday and they are delicious!! I have made several vegan brownies, from cakeduchess to ohsheglows and these are legit, the best I’ve had. Thanks. Yum, yum!

So happy you enjoyed these as much as I did! I was so excited when this one worked so well, just like you – I’ve googled and tried so many vegan brownie recipes, it forever to nail down a good one :)

23. Sorry if this is a silly question but what does 1/3 cup of brewed coffee mean? How many teaspoons of coffee do I use? in 1/3 boiling water? Thankyou :)

There are no silly questions! 1/3 cup brewed coffee means literally 1/3 cup of coffee. Make coffee in your coffee machine (or buy from a coffee shop etc. ) and just pour 1/3 of it. Does that help?

24. These are my go-to brownies. EVERYONE loves them. They are amazing! I’ve deleted all other brownies. Thank you!

1. [...] Double Chocolate Vegan Brownies [...]

2. [...] sweet potato or black beans and I wasn’t in the mood for veggie brownies. I decided to make Kristina’s recipe…and mmmm… they taste as good as they [...]

3. […]  Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies […]