Buttttt…instead of boring you all with my newfound revelations of a serious hoarding problem and a collection of old battered white tank tops with holes big enough to prove that I actually don’t know how to use a washing machine….
Let’s focus on these FABULOUS Double Chocolate Brownies!
I am absolutely so proud of (and addicted to!) this recipe. This was a labor of love starting almost a year ago with a mission to find my all-time favorite vegan brownie recipe. Vegan brownie recipes are notorious for being a big pain in the butt to create. The thing that makes really delicious rich and fudgy brownies… so rich and fudgy… are EGGS. So out go the eggs for the vegan version and in comes a noble quest for the perfect egg substitution.
I’ve tried uncountable vegan chef’s recipes – from well knowns to off the grid amazon orders – and none have been even comparably as good as this one. I adapted a version from Sticky Fingers’ Sweets and I am in love.
Think rich, smooth, fudgy, chocolatey… absolutely everything you want in a delicious brownie, without any of the eggs, dairy, or animal products. I don’t like saying the usual “no one will know these are vegan”… but seriously! No one will know.
The secret was not finding an egg substitute, but instead finding the right proportion of ingredients and baking powder to create a fudgy and smooth finish. Instead of relying on apple sauce of flax seed replacers, which can leave brownies with a funky texture and after taste, this recipe uses baking powder to get the the right rise and leavening.
So enjoy enjoy enjoy! I love these and I really hope you all do too! These aren’t just for the vegans :)
Yields 16 servings
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (like Earth Balance)
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Combine coffee, margarine, and 1 oz. semisweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and carefully microwave 30-45 seconds or until melted and smooth. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- In a bowl of standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (OR using a hand mixer), combine sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the oil, water, and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Add coffee mixture and continue to mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Stir in the chocolate chips. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Nutrition Information; Calories: 175, Fat: 8 grams