do not did not like beets.
I didn’t just kind of not like them… like I really really didn’t like them. You know when you’re swimming in a lake and you accidentally swallow lake water? Like right by some seaweed? That’s what I thought they tasted like. Dead serious.
Then something magical happened… I went out to dinner to this restaurant I had been dying to go to (RPM Italian!), and I ordered beets…and I LOVED them. They were prepared to perfection. I don’t know if it was Giuliana and Bill Rancic blowing good juju my way (they own the restaurant), or the last of my teenage tastebuds finally dying, but they were DELISH! I absolutely had to recreate the dish. The citrus brought out the sweetness of the beets and the crunch from the salty pistachio was an awesome contrast.
This is my new favorite summer salad – I love how different it is from what you normally see on a picnic table. If you can get your hands on precooked beets, this dish can be on your table in 10 minutes. Can’t find any? No prob. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes… on your table in 30. Plus beets are packed with all kinds of nutrition power – loaded with fiber, potassium, folate, and betacyanin; all the good stuff to keep your ticker in tip top shape.
So if you were like me, and don’t like beets – give them a chance! And if you’re not a hard sell, you will love this preparation!
And be before I let you loose on the recipe I want to announce the winner of my King Arthur Flour Giveaway….
Congratulations Carolyn! I will e-mail you with more info so I can get your box of goodies sent to you asap!
Yields 4 servings
If you can find precooked beets go ahead and use them to cut time in half!
- 8 ounces red beets
- 8 ounces golden beets
- 2 medium oranges, peels and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- Cook the beets – rinse and scrub the red and golden beets. Place clean beets (with skin on) in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until fork tender. Drain water and let sit until cool to handle. Carefully peel away skin. Cut beets in half, horizontally through the center. Then continue to cut into half moon shapes. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- Make the Dressing – Combine orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, and kosher salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked beets, sliced oranges, and pistachios. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Garnish with mint leaves.