Mm..mmm! Apple crisps are the epitome of Fall. I know Pumpkin is usually the popular kid on the playground but lets not forget who is first to recess! It is apple season guys and ALL I want to eat are apples. Especially those covered in buttery crumble and baked warm with cinnamon….and maybe some ice-cream.
I’m sorry but this post it 100% selfish… it was Friday… and I really just wanted apple crisp. Like really, really bad. All week my mailbox was stuffed with cooking magazines covered in apple recipes… Cooking Light… Bon Appetit…Savuer (can you tell I shop at Sur La Table.. free magazine with purchase*). It was only a matter of time before I gave in.
Like 48 hours…
I love this recipe because it is SO simple. And adorable :) You can definitely bake this recipe into one 8X8 baking dish but I think the single serve portions in 1/2 pint mason jars are just too cute! You can find them at most hobby stores – I bought mine in bulk for cheap. Its one of those things thats great to to just have. Creeping through Pinterest I swear there are at least 10 things a day I want to do with mason jars…cute flower pots, parfait bowls, candle holders, salad shakers…throw some ribbon around and they are pretty party ready!
Found this cheat sheet on Pinterest, Braeburn are my absolute favorite for crumbles! Not too tart … not too sweet… perfectly balanced :)
But cuteness aside – these are DElISH! So simple, and so so yummy. Warm cinnamon baked apples with buttery crumb topping…All I need is an apple cider doughnut from the apple orchard and I’m set till Thanksgiving. Plus these cuties are perfectly portioned to just 170 calories with a more than generous sprinkle of buttery crumb topping!
So eat up! Have a delicious 1st Day of Fall!
This recipe is easy to make gluten-free, just sub in GF flour for the all-purpose and make sure your rolled oats are certified GF!
Yields 4 servings
For the Filling
- 3 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into thick wedges
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/8 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan margarine (such as Earth Balance), melted
4 1/2 pint mason jars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, lemon juice, sugar, 1/2 tablespoon flour, and cinnamon. Stir to evenly coat apple slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, salt, and rolled oats. Drizzle mixture with melted margarine and stir until crumbly.
- Evenly distribute the apple mixture among the 4 mason jars. Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling and tender.