There’s only about one thing in this world that can pry me away from a 50% off Bloomingdales sale on Black Friday.
Or 70% off at Sur La Table…
OR a 20-50% off sale at Macy’s…..30% off Jcrew….
Okkkkk feeling slightly less confident about this decision….
And it’s my FAVORITE family tradition. Every Friday morning after Thanksgiving my dad, little brother, and I venture out into the cold rural Illinois wilderness (aka the adorable cut-your-own Christmas tree place down the street) and cut down our Christmas tree. Rain or shine, blizzarding…sleeting…we show up. 3 layers of pants, 2 pairs of mittens, hand warmers….
Only this year marked a turning point in the Kubik fam tradition. Times have changed people.
Apparently it’s no longer accepted that I have the arm strength of a first grader or the circulation of a 90 year old. No sawing, no say in which tree we pick. Which is royally unfair. Because my brother is 12 times my size. The only tree I could bring home would make Charlie Brown cry. Again.
But luckily my little bro has learned from the best and we took home a FABULOUS tree! I absolutely love this weekend, all we do is decorate the house, eat leftovers, and see friends.
O.. and eat leftovers! The most important part of this whole post! Guys – these Turkey Tacos with Chipotle Cream are unreal. The chipotle cream is so so good, I want to put that stuff on ev-er-y-thing. I’m not kidding – I was so excited at how good these turned out. Even if you’re one of those people that doesn’t like to fuss with your leftovers you need to make these with rotisserie chicken. Will come out just the same – same proportions. These tacos kick butt. And they’re dairy free. And potentially gluten free if you find some GF tortillas!
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
I’m in love with these tacos! If you’re all out of leftover turkey substitute in an equal amount of shredded cooked rotisserie chicken – so good!
Yields 4 servings
For the Tacos
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded leftover turkey (or chicken)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt (season to taste depending on your cooked turkey)
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup mashed leftover sweet potatoes
For the Chipotle Cream
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (vegan)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 avocado, diced
- extra lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring, until just translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add turkey, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and cook another 3 minutes or until heated through. Add black beans and continue to cook until heated through.
- Make the Chipotle Cream: In a medium bowl, whisk together chopped chipotle peppers, mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Assemble tacos – microwave tortillas 10 seconds to warm. Layer mashed sweet potatoes, followed by chicken mixture, diced avocado, and cabbage. Drizzle with chipotle cream.