There is something about smooth, spicy, Queso Dip that makes me…..
……want a beer.
Which is an actual MIRACLE because I am a diehard Wino. In my mind literally EVERYTHING goes with wine. Oatmeal…gummy bears at the movies, hot dog at the baseball stadium (No judging!). So the fact that Queso actually makes me crave beer means that Bud better get on this if they want to catch the .001% of us that don’t have a problem getting booed in the wine line at Wrigley Stadium.
So to honor this wrinkle in time I’ve come up with a whole round-up of crave worthy Vegan football food that pairs perfectly with football’s favorite drink! So let’s start with my Queso Dip…
Guys. Ladies. This stuff kicks butt. Smooth and creamy, just like its dairy-ridden cousin, with the perfect spice and heat from the green chili – this dip totally satisfies your craving for Queso! This is something I thought I wouldn’t get to eat again (dairy free lady over here) – you should have seen how excited I was when this worked!
For those of you unfamiliar with Cashew Cream – this secret trick with change your vegan life. And if the thought of cashew cream is throwing you off just give me a sec to explain – you puree cashews with boiling water and it turns into this fabulous mild flavored cream. This can become the base for an infinite number of creamy recipes with zero dairy. Depending on what spices and herbs you add, you can make vegan mac and cheese, fettucini alfredo, ‘cream cheese’ fruit dip, etc. etc. There are a number of ways to make cashew cream, the method I am going to use for my Queso is the quickest option. Literally just puree cashews with boiling water in a food processor. The point of the boiling water is to soften and help breakdown the cashews so you get that really smooth cream. Other methods include soaking the cashews over night or soaking for an hour or so – I wanted to get this done quick and easy so this version is a great go-to when you don’t have a lot of time!
Have a great weekend everyone! And a delicious Super Bowl Sunday!
Store finished dip in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.
- 1 cup cashews, raw & unsalted
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast (you can find this at most health foods stores, Whole Foods etc.)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 14oz can diced green chilis
- Add cashews and boiling water to food processor. Let sit 5 minutes. Pulse until smooth – this will take a few minutes, really make sure you let it go a while until it whips into a creamy texture. Also, do not overfill your food processor or the liquid will explode out the top because of the high heat from the water, be careful!
- To the food processor mixture, add nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and lemon juice. Pulse until well combined and smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and stir in diced green chilis. Serve with tortilla chips.
Vegan Super Bowl!