The weather God is becoming seriously egotistical. OK we get it! We fully understand that you can bury my poor little puppy under a mountain of snow in .02 seconds. And that you think its funny when I trip on a deceptively mushy pile of snow and butt dive on Michigan Ave (high point – old lady behind me thought it was hilarious). WE KNOW.
I think we should maybe treat the situation like dealing with a toddler….like maybe if we ignore him (and you groundhog!), this little snowstorm tantrum will just go away. And happy Grandma Weather God will go Cloudy and a Chance of Meatballs on us and rain margaritas and sunshine.
But until then I will continue to make soup – my serious savior in the crazy Chicago winter. Which I really can’t complain about because I LOVE soup. My freezer is jam packed with a zillion different soups, I can’t stop recipe testing new ones! My usual favorites are minestrones and other Italian herb soups – tuscan white bean, tomato basil… Mmmm. Same goes for main meals – lots of pasta with marinara sauce, bruschetta, etc, (can you tell where I come from?). So this Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup was such a delicious change to the usual routine.
This soup is so creamy – with zero cream! Zero dairy. Totally vegan. It’s a beautiful thing. With just the right savory spice from the chipotle (I’m a huge huge fan of chipotle). Top this with a little sour cream, fresh cilantro, or sauteed black beans and its a perfect main dish. Super comforting in this relentless winter.
This is also an extremely simple and quick recipe – throw all of the ingredients in a pot, boil, and then puree in a food processor, blender, or with an immersion blender. Dinner for the week and extras go to the freezer.
Yields 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock (or low sodium chicken stock)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is very soft.
- Add the chipotle and sweet potato and stir to combine
- Add vegetable stock and water to the pot, turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully puree soup with a food processor, blender, or immersion blender. Do not overfill the food processor or blender, work in batches if you have to – if you add too much hot liquid it will explode out the top (not very fun to clean!), so just go slow.
- Garnish with yogurt or sour cream and cilantro leaves.