Omygoodness. I have been SICK.
Like living on chicken broth, abandoning all personal hygiene, and finishing every TV season of everything kind of sick.
By the time I crawled out of my cave of blankets and tissues it was like Tom Hanks in Castaway – complete Wilson situation with my Apple TV. Slow motion grab for Netflix as I was pulled back into the land of makeup and responsibility.
So after a nasty week of feeling terrible I am happy to report that I have finally rolled off my couch feeling SO much better, and with a big. fat. appetite! This Lentil Farro Salad is fabulous. Really fresh and clean – packed with all sorts of nutritional goodness from the lentils, whole grain faro, and fresh veg. This is exactly what I’m craving for in spring – bright flavors! I tossed the salad in a champagne vinaigrette – if you don’t have champagne vinegar at home, feel free to sub in white wine.
Bouncing back from a sick week and jumping into a crazy busy next week, I really wanted to come up with a recipe that was quick and healthy – and most importantly – that I could make ahead. This is a great foundation salad – top it with chicken, shrimp, or roll it in a lettuce wrap!
Have great weeks everyone!! SO happy to be back on the blog sharing recipes with you all :)
Yields 5 servings
- 2 1/3 cups cooked lentils (preferably the french green ones)
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbs coarse mustard
- 1/2 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup farro to a medium pot and cover with 3 cups water. Add a little salt to the water for flavor (like pasta). Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes until tender. You want it to be a little al dente – with a nice chew. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add garlic, mustards, lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk to combine. Slowly add olive oil, whisking until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked lentils, farro, tomatoes, and red onion. Toss with finished dressing and then fold in fresh basil. S